Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 08:38 AM

49,971 posts, read 63,287,500 times

Advertisements

I was at a gathering yesterday, where I was checking in people at a health fair. I had a lot of time to just observe people and I noticed how many Black women wear fake stuff, including eyelashes, hair and nails. Why is this?

The fake hair looks heavy, hot and uncomfortable. The long fake nails rendered some woman hardly able to hold a pen (and think of the germs!), and the eyelashes did not even attempt to look natural.

If someone was forced to wear these things, it could be considered cruel and unusual punishment, I think.

When the schools were open, I tutored reading to a second grader. She was a cute little girl, but her mother put fake braids on her that must have been heavy, and kept clanking in her face.

What is the thinking process?

Old 10-25-2020, 08:52 AM

5,498 posts, read 6,415,074 times
It's a cultural thing..........different cultures follow different ways of living life.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
It's a cultural thing..........different cultures follow different ways of living life.
Oh, I know that. What puzzles me is why women would voluntarily hobble themselves in this way.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,864,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was at a gathering yesterday, where I was checking in people at a health fair. I had a lot of time to just observe people and I noticed how many Black women wear fake stuff, including eyelashes, hair and nails. Why is this?

The fake hair looks heavy, hot and uncomfortable. The long fake nails rendered some woman hardly able to hold a pen (and think of the germs!), and the eyelashes did not even attempt to look natural.

If someone was forced to wear these things, it could be considered cruel and unusual punishment, I think.

When the schools were open, I tutored reading to a second grader. She was a cute little girl, but her mother put fake braids on her that must have been heavy, and kept clanking in her face.

What is the thinking process?
Why does anyone wear fake anything? They’re not happy with the real thing. It’s a more a psychological thing than a cultural thing and it’s not just black women. And yes, some of them look ridiculous.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:44 AM

12,931 posts, read 9,540,617 times
I've seen white women wear fake hair and eyelashes, and nails also, why just target Black women. And I know lots of Black women, who are all natural. You can't judge all Black women the same, because a lot of Black women have gone back to all natural hair and no makeup, like Alicia Keys.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I've seen white women wear fake hair and eyelashes, and nails also, why just target Black women. And I know lots of Black women, who are all natural. You can't judge all Black women the same, because a lot of Black women have gone back to all natural hair and no makeup, like Alicia Keys.
I’m not judging, I’m just wondering. I know ALL women wear fake hair, gel nails and lashes sometimes. Its the over-the-top way of doing it that I don’t get. It seems like self imposed torture. Especially, saddling a young child with 5# of fake hair.

I was actually sitting with a Black woman at the reception table at the time I was observing, and she’s the one who brought up the subject first. She had a wig on, but it looked natural. She keeps her real hair short. This is not the type of thing I’m talking about.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:10 AM

8,687 posts, read 4,926,382 times
I watch a police show.....The first 48 hours. True show.....with real detectives. There is a black women detective on the show. She has the longest bright red finger nails. And she loves to show them off. Her hands are always up, by her face, when she is speaking. They are cringe worthy. She also wears stiletto high heels, while working murder cases. Ugh. Why?

Old 10-25-2020, 10:24 AM

6,809 posts, read 6,892,114 times
Let's not even get started about the fake butt trend that seems to be (so far) adopted by some black women. To be fair, the fake nails, eyelashes and hair are not just on black women. Try catching one of "housewives of (whatever)" tv show. There's not one white woman who isn't over the top, with fake hair extensions, nails, eyelashes and fake breasts. They all look like strippers IMO.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:43 AM

12,931 posts, read 9,540,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Let's not even get started about the fake butt trend that seems to be (so far) adopted by some black women. To be fair, the fake nails, eyelashes and hair are not just on black women. Try catching one of "housewives of (whatever)" tv show. There's not one white woman who isn't over the top, with fake hair extensions, nails, eyelashes and fake breasts. They all look like strippers IMO.
Exactly, that's why one group shouldn't be singled out.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:45 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,379,137 times
Yeah, I don't get the really long fake nails... They would drive me crazy! I don't know how you do anything with them...not to mention how much money you have to spend every month on them.

I don't dislike the look of fake lashes as long as they're not over the top... They're very annoying to put on though, so I don't know how women do it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty