Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 10:46 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I got my GF a medium size sweater, and I ordered a large size jacket to go with it. Both of these are birthday gifts. Would it be too big for her ? I’m always used to ordering jackets one size up so that they fit over all the clothes you wear underneath. But I’m not sure if women like more fitted jackets as opposed to a more relaxed fit. Will size L be too large for a 5’6” woman ?

It depends on the style of jacket whether it fits baggier or more snug....BUT the cut & style is part of the size. I've never sized up on any coat or jacket. Kudos to you for trying tho.

IMO....I would totally avoid stuff that is sized by small, medium, or large. Just go by her size. I always get a better fit if I buy in my true size instead of small. A small can be anything from a size 0 to a size 6 depending on the manufacturer & depending if they carry an ex small. They grp the sizing together so ofc you won't get as tailored of a fit. edit: specially if you are going up from a medium to a large for her.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 11-11-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 12:00 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Did you keep the tags and receipt?

Some women like a looser fit, some women like a more form fitting style.

Might depend on the style, to answer your question. For example, if you were buying me a bomber style leather jacket, I'd want a looser fit so it settled around my hips, instead of my waist. Same would go for a denim jacket. (For me).

If you were buying me a biker style leather jacket, and I was a rider, I'd want a more form fitting jacket. (Less wind resistance.)

Really, it depends on the style I guess.
I gotta jump in here, as a biker.

You're 100% correct regarding a "form fitted" jacket. There are bona-fide safety reasons for this.
If the jacket were "loose fitting" it would "inflate" during higher speeds, causing the jacket to "blow up."

While this looks funny, it's effects are anything but. Think about a loose belt getting caught up in a wheel, or drive chain/belt. Those things are strong enough to pull any ride completely off their motorcycle.

Another thing is the material may try to come over your shoulders/head when riding. That's another thing you don't want happening on the freeway.

So, you now see that proper fit, for motorcyclists is a safety issue. NOT just a fashion issue. (Sorry for the side track.)

However, some people (that have zero interest in riding,) have been known to visit their local Harley-Davidson dealership, just to check out their "Motor Clothes." There, you'll find a quality of leather, that you will NOT find in any other mall/store. Go ahead, call my bluff, visit a dealership. You'll see.
Just don't blame me if you want everything!

My HD stuff is OVER 30 years old, and it's just now "getting good." It looks like it's been through rain/snow/hail/sleet & blazing sunshine mostly, for the last million miles, because they have. Oh, speaking of miles, the motor clothes FXRG line comes with a "Million Mile Guarantee." (I know quite a few riders that have tested this.)

Care?
I just damp sponge the dead bugs off mine, and people think it's new again! (I'll use mink oil twice a year, too.)

Ok, enough motorcycle stuff. I could talk about this stuff all day long. This was a large part of the classroom portion during my MSF classroom. Yeah, I'm a retired ridercoach. I have no idea how many I've taught since 1975...(during the Summertime, it was 48 new faces every week.) Winter was 36.

Sorry for taking this off the rails.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:25 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Most of my online clothing stores have reviews that include whether something is true to size, or smaller or larger. OP could check. Also, perhaps there is a customer service number that could tell him how a certain garment runs.

Ordinarily, a woman who wears a medium sweater would also wear a medium coat. Coats are made to go over clothing.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:15 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Most everything has already been mentioned. If she is not skinny or tiny and she's 5'6" tall, and not fat, takes a size M, then I think a size M would be the jacket size too. (Women's sizes are crazy though lately--can you imagine a size 0?)

What might be "off" if it's a size too big are the shoulders and the sleeve length as well as being too big around. Most women take the same size in everything and the problems occur because brands differ in their sizing.

Can you also order a size M and just return the one that doesn't fit?

Old 11-11-2020, 02:16 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I know you wanted to give her height to give us an idea, but height doesn't have hardly anything to do w/ upper wear clothing sizing (clothing that aren't bottoms such as pants & skirts).

As others have said, it mainly depends on:

- Her weight
- Whether the brand of clothing fits smaller, larger, etc. Each brand of clothing is a little different.

You said she's "normal sized", so a medium should work, but a large probably works too so she can wear thicker, bulkier clothing under the jacket as you've said. Hopefully, it's not too baggy.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 11-11-2020 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-11-2020, 02:20 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
- Her weight
- Whether the brand of clothing fits smaller, larger, etc. Each brand of clothing is a little different.
I'd also add her chest size. Someone can have a small frame, but a small coat won't be able to zip over her torso.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:38 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'd also add her chest size. Someone can have a small frame, but a small coat won't be able to zip over her torso.
Yeah, my GF has a fairly wide chest, but she is of normal weight and 5’6” high.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:40 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It depends on the style of jacket whether it fits baggier or more snug....BUT the cut & style is part of the size. I've never sized up on any coat or jacket. Kudos to you for trying tho.

IMO....I would totally avoid stuff that is sized by small, medium, or large. Just go by her size. I always get a better fit if I buy in my true size instead of small. A small can be anything from a size 0 to a size 6 depending on the manufacturer & depending if they carry an ex small. They grp the sizing together so ofc you won't get as tailored of a fit. edit: specially if you are going up from a medium to a large for her.
Amazon didn’t really give numbers for the size though, just size like S, M, L, XL, etc. I’ve observed that unless I’m buying a dress, they always use the standard listing for size on most other garments.
I’m expecting women’s sizes are smaller. My best guess is a women’s L is somewhere between a men’s S and M. I’m a size L in men’s wear when it comes to coats and shirts, but size M for Polos, T shirts, and sport muscle tees.

Last edited by FrozenI69; 11-11-2020 at 03:51 PM..

Old 11-11-2020, 03:59 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I gotta jump in here, as a biker.

You're 100% correct regarding a "form fitted" jacket. There are bona-fide safety reasons for this.
If the jacket were "loose fitting" it would "inflate" during higher speeds, causing the jacket to "blow up."

While this looks funny, it's effects are anything but. Think about a loose belt getting caught up in a wheel, or drive chain/belt. Those things are strong enough to pull any ride completely off their motorcycle.

Another thing is the material may try to come over your shoulders/head when riding. That's another thing you don't want happening on the freeway.

So, you now see that proper fit, for motorcyclists is a safety issue. NOT just a fashion issue. (Sorry for the side track.)
Not to mention, if you lay it down and are skidding down the road, you do *not* want your jacket riding up as you go... negates the point of wearing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It depends on the style of jacket whether it fits baggier or more snug....BUT the cut & style is part of the size.
This is true, too. Clothing is designed to be more fitted or more loose, coats included. If there is a website or tag with the picture, see how the manufacturer means for it to fit.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:41 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Amazon didn’t really give numbers for the size though, just size like S, M, L, XL, etc. I’ve observed that unless I’m buying a dress, they always use the standard listing for size on most other garments.
I’m expecting women’s sizes are smaller. My best guess is a women’s L is somewhere between a men’s S and M. I’m a size L in men’s wear when it comes to coats and shirts, but size M for Polos, T shirts, and sport muscle tees.
That’s just crazy talk. Her sizing has nothing to do with your sizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty