Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 04:47 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,285,770 times

Advertisements

Normal sized woman is now 165 lbs
Same weight as normal sized man in 1960
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 10:24 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,546,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Amazon didn’t really give numbers for the size though, just size like S, M, L, XL, etc. I’ve observed that unless I’m buying a dress, they always use the standard listing for size on most other garments.
I’m expecting women’s sizes are smaller. My best guess is a women’s L is somewhere between a men’s S and M. I’m a size L in men’s wear when it comes to coats and shirts, but size M for Polos, T shirts, and sport muscle tees.

Ok...I don't buy clothes on Amazon AND aren't we talking about "misses" sizes or are you talking about "womens or plus"? It's a lot different. AND there is a lot of difference in a size 2 for a misses & a size 2 for a junior size. JMO that I get a better fit on my clothes if I buy jeans, skirts or my coats in my true size instead of a small because a small will cover a range of sizes. You are grouping several sizes into just 3....basically small, medium & large tho sometimes there will be an XS. The fit isn't going to be as tailored ofc because it's made for a couple of sizes. The only time I buy a small or ex small is on yoga pants or stretchy leggings...it depends on the brand. BUT coats & jeans & skirts I buy in my true size. It's a much better fit IMO....even tho I may have to go up to a 6 or down to a 2 for some labels. AND I could never wear a size 2 or 4 in a junior size top....but I can wear a junior size 2 or 4 in some jeans, specially Bf or looser fits.

AND the cut of the coat or jacket will be part of the sizing....so you don't need to go up a size IMO.

What is her true size.....do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That’s just crazy talk. Her sizing has nothing to do with your sizing.

Ha..that's what I thought.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:46 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,068,716 times
Very nice of you to buy her a gift; and super sweet to want it to be a surprise. But don't try and pick out women's styles and sizes; ESPECIALLY if she is larger-breasted. There is a lot that goes into finding the right fit and style of each item when you have that attribute. Someone else cannot select it for you. While she can return it to get the right size (potentially); would you be upset if she returned it because she doesn't like the style? You're putting her in an awkward situation. How about you surprise her with a gift card to her favorite clothing retail store?

Old 11-13-2020, 06:10 AM

9,364 posts, read 5,124,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Very nice of you to buy her a gift; and super sweet to want it to be a surprise. But don't try and pick out women's styles and sizes; ESPECIALLY if she is larger-breasted. There is a lot that goes into finding the right fit and style of each item when you have that attribute. Someone else cannot select it for you. While she can return it to get the right size (potentially); would you be upset if she returned it because she doesn't like the style? You're putting her in an awkward situation. How about you surprise her with a gift card to her favorite clothing retail store?
My hubs got me the UGLIEST jacket from Orvis (on sale). And he was upset with me when I told him I would return it because I actually hate the color (it was a poopie tan). I would never have worn it. And he KNOWS I hate this color because he has a few items of clothing in that color and I've tried to tell him that it's not as flattering on him as others and I really do not like it. I returned it, he got the credit, and bought himself something with that. I'm out one anniversary gift. Whatever.
We've agreed our tastes diverge regarding women's clothing and colors....so maybe this time it will sink in? I don't know. GCs are better for women if you want to get them clothing. She needs to pick it out herself.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:16 AM

29,712 posts, read 34,269,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
We've agreed our tastes diverge regarding women's clothing and colors....so maybe this time it will sink in? I don't know. GCs are better for women if you want to get them clothing. She needs to pick it out herself.
Yeah the sentiment is nice, but buying someone else clothes is a mine field. Especially when the expectation is that you'll be so grateful and wear it all the time. Gift card works, or I'm happy to send links to items.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:09 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,393,378 times
A update. GF got the sweater and jacket. She says it fits her well and looks very nice . Also told me my birthday note was very sweet and thoughtful. We could have been closer together if it wasn’t for the COVID restrictions in place, but that isn’t possible.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:58 PM

12,713 posts, read 14,890,490 times
Glad everything fits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty