Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 01:30 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I dunno what the Match Game is...BUT yes...the style is called "70s oversized frames". Wow is totally right...ha. Large sunglasses have been in style for awhile BUT.....it just doesn't seem right seeing regular glasses like that IMO.

The Match Game was on when I was a teen - absolutely my favorite game show EVER. It was hilarious, and would not make it on today due to all the political correctness and what have you.

https://tv.avclub.com/10-match-game-...-bl-1798266455
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 01:36 PM

5,328 posts, read 8,517,594 times
I have a pair of glasses I got in the late 90s. They were "on trend" at that time. Now... the shape of the lenses seems so small.. and when I look at photos from then, I don't like how they looked on me. At the time, I though they looked nice.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,287,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I have a pair of glasses I got in the late 90s. They were "on trend" at that time. Now... the shape of the lenses seems so small.. and when I look at photos from then, I don't like how they looked on me. At the time, I though they looked nice.
...and that's how "fashion" works.

Higher prescription lenses are thicker but most people don't require that much correction - and certainly if they do, smaller frames are available they just won't be "trendy" is all, at the moment anyway.

I wore big glasses back in the '80's...about a -2.5 diopter correction (that's maybe 20/100 vision) - my multifocal contact are much better for me now.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:38 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,064,773 times
I like them, but they don't work for my prescription. Mine are kinda inbetween.
I have had to wear glasses since I was 7 - I got tired of boring glasses. I have to wear them so I am going to have fun with them and wear what I like

Old 12-01-2020, 07:47 PM

12,704 posts, read 14,876,224 times
You say, "eyeglasses", so I assume you're talking about glasses (to see better) & not sunglasses, but I'll comment about both.

Re: glasses (to see better), I personally like the rectqangular, small-size frames. I don't like large glasses.

Re: sunglasses though of which I have about 15-20 pairs. I like aviators & frames that are quite large, but not the perfect circlular shape which I don't think is flattering. These days of COVID, it's not mostly about wearing them in sunny weather anymore, but I wear my large sunglasses everywhere, even indoors for protection.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:26 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,767,713 times
I don't have thick lenses, but I can't stand the extra weight of the larger glasses. Plus, I don't want my face to be saying " look at my glasses."

Old 12-02-2020, 03:11 AM

18,533 posts, read 15,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Where does it end?! Just saw some woman on a news show and the huge thick rimmed glasses must have taken up more than half of her face.

Does this really add to anyone's appearance, unless they are really bad looking and it conceals more of their face, but for most people- maybe too much.

I see people in these massive glasses and try to picture them without glasses or with more proportionate rim sizes and styles and they would look so much better without the harsh lines obscuring their features.
I don't know but I'm just surprised that there is not more effort to design "pandemic glasses" which are more compatible with face masks, especially in terms of the ear pieces!

Old 12-02-2020, 04:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,576,884 times
the low-price internet glasses have become a phenomenon, so where it used to be most people couldn't afford to get a new pair but once a couple of years even using their insurance b/c they cost $300-$500/pair, now they can order Rx glasses for $30-$50 and I think they're going a little crazy, having fun, and really not being able to dress up and go out in the pandemic, having new statement glasses for the zoom/team/whatever meetings is just a way to inject a little fun. I expect a big drop-off of the outrageous styles once we're pretty much fully vaccinated and fully open again.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:16 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
I used to be in the "small frames" camp. The nose pieces have worn my nose out. I got two larger plastic frames this time around. They are certainly more noticeable, but more comfortable as well.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:18 AM

42,678 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...and that's how "fashion" works.

Higher prescription lenses are thicker but most people don't require that much correction - and certainly if they do, smaller frames are available they just won't be "trendy" is all, at the moment anyway.

I wore big glasses back in the '80's...about a -2.5 diopter correction (that's maybe 20/100 vision) - my multifocal contact are much better for me now.
I'm very nearsighted so I do get small frames. I aim for a classic color (gunmetal, silver, gold) as I get flexon frames which last me about 7-8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty