Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 06:08 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
What I'm thinking of with trench coat is a man's coat style....the slim "reinvented" trench coat in wool with super straight lines & minimalist fitted styling...manly & professional but contemporary. He used it a lot last winter for work travel. I googled "London Fog trenchcoat" & that's not what I was talking about...ha.

edit: Now that I look back....the O.P..& probably everybody is talking about what you're talking about tho....the old fashioned trenchcoat. Sry...I'll stay out of it.
This thread is not just men’s trench coats, but also women’s. Obviously, I’m a guy, and my trench is black, with 5 large buttons, a hidden zipper, 2 side pockets, and 2 front pockets. It also came with a removable hood. It sort of looks like this with front pockets:
https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/kenn...-coat/n2859551

Last edited by FrozenI69; 12-02-2020 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 06:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
The overcoat seems like a good idea till you actually live somewhere it gets cold; then you want a hood and a coat that comes up high in the neck.

I can tell you that in New England very few men wear a traditional overcoat in the winter; it's too darn cold. We all wore big winter coats from Bean's.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:44 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
The trench coat actually has an interesting history dating back to World War I. Burberry perfected it for everyday wear but the individual features on a traditional trench coat had practical uses during war time.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:29 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
This thread is not just men’s trench coats, but also women’s. Obviously, I’m a guy, and my trench is black, with 5 large buttons, a hidden zipper, 2 side pockets, and 2 front pockets. It also came with a removable hood.

I was saying that I don't wear them & my man wears a more reinvented style....a lot of ppl are older & more traditional in the thread talking about London Fog & Burberry. AND...that's Ok ofc...just different than what I was talking about. I love the slim & professional minimalist look on men....instead of the older style like baggy & tan....or lots of belts & buckles.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:55 AM

A trench coat is made of material to shield the wearer from rain so it's essentially a raincoat. A wool coat wouldn't be considered a trench coat - it's an overcoat.

Last edited by rfomd129; 12-02-2020 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 09:06 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I was saying that I don't wear them & my man wears a more reinvented style....a lot of ppl are older & more traditional in the thread talking about London Fog & Burberry. AND...that's Ok ofc...just different than what I was talking about. I love the slim & professional minimalist look on men....instead of the older style like baggy & tan....or lots of belts & buckles.
Yeah, I don’t think I can call mine a trench coat in the traditional sense. I generally have been referring to overcoats as trench coats. Initially, I thought of mentioning work coats in the thread title, but then thought people might mistake that for a construction workers jacket or a blazer. My mom and dad were office workers in NYC, and I always considered the overcoat as part of “business attire” in winter.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
^^^
A trench coat is made of material to shield the wearer from rain so it's essentially a raincoat. A wool coat wouldn't be considered a trench coat - it's an overcoat.

Nordstrom's has several men's wool & wool blend "trench coats"....like Ermenegildo Zegna. It's not a traditional trench coat but a more contemporary designer style without all the belts & buckles. It's more fashionable on professional men IMO....if they wear suits & need that type of coat.

edit: I realized that everybody was talking about old fashioned trench coats tho. A raincoat is a raincoat to me...ha.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 12-02-2020 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 09:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
^^^
OK, well the thin "trench coat" style is great till someone wtih an umbrella dumps a bunch of rain down the back of your neck.

Nope, if it's really raining (like it does in the USA) give me a rubber raincoat with a hood. Or an umbrella if you're not a US Marine (which I am not).

Old 12-02-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Yeah, I don’t think I can call mine a trench coat in the traditional sense. I generally have been referring to overcoats as trench coats. Initially, I thought of mentioning work coats in the thread title, but then thought people might mistake that for a construction workers jacket or a blazer. My mom and dad were office workers in NYC, and I always considered the overcoat as part of “business attire” in winter.
You're correct Frozen. An overcoat, usually in black wool, is (or was ; ) an essential part of business attire for winter in NYC.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You're correct Frozen. An overcoat, usually in black wool, is (or was ; ) an essential part of business attire for winter in NYC.

What would you & Frozen call the trench coats in wool by Ermenegildo Zegna & other fashion houses tho....an overcoat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty