Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 04:57 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,483 times

Advertisements

As a male professional who interacted in person rather frequently with management pre COVID, trench coats, along with button up shirts, dress shoes, and dress pants are my go to outfit for much of winter. And winter can drag on for up to 6 months over here, so I wear trench coats nearly half the year. How often do you wear trench coats to work, and how do you typically style them ?

Last edited by FrozenI69; 12-01-2020 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 05:12 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
As a male professional who interacts rather frequently with management, trench coats, along with button up shirts, dress shoes, and dress pants are my go to outfit for much of winter. And winter can drag on for up to 6 months over here, so I wear trench coats nearly half the year. How often do you wear trench coats to work, and how do you typically style them ?

I love the clean lines of the minimalist style trenchcoat on a man....my fiance has one but he hasn't worn it hardly at all because of covid & working from home so much. The couple of times he has traveled since then....he goes out in more casual clothes. I miss seeing him in a suit. His idea of "styling" tho? Put the coat on. Ha..he looks handsome tho.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:48 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I've personally rarely worn a trench in general in my life. I distinctly remember 2 that I had. One was of the brand London Fog in a tan color. The other was a true yellow color. Regarding wearing them to work specifically, I never had a reason to wear them to work. If I did, it was purely for fashion purposes & if the weather called for it.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:50 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Never, but I do agree that this seems like a colder climate wardrobe. I'm in a moderate Winter climate.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:13 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Never, but I do agree that this seems like a colder climate wardrobe. I'm in a moderate Winter climate.
North Carolina gets plenty cold for a trench coat. It can get down to the 20’s in January.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
I saw them occasionally at my first job when people still used to wear ties and slacks. But that's been years.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:17 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
North Carolina gets plenty cold for a trench coat. It can get down to the 20’s in January.
You're right, it can. It's in the 20's here tonight but I guess I'm a hot-natured person in denial of winter! I don't think it's a bad look though, but just not my personal style. Some guys can pull it off and look really well put together.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:56 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
I still have one but hardly wear it at all. You are correct in that it is best for when dressed professionally with a suit or sport coat but still need some outerwear over it in colder climates.

I haven't gotten rid of mine since it was very good quality (has button in extra lining) and occasionally I will wear it for certain weather. Drawback is mine is black in a climate that uses salt in the winter which tends to get on the lower portion (getting into and out of car especially). I wore it more when taking dates to theater type events.

I like wearing it when it's colder 25-40 F , but little salt on ground from residual snow. A few years ago for early morning meeting for work, I parked distant and while walking long stretch bordered by historic cemetery, an old homeless guy (they like to hang out there) spots me from distance coming toward him and starts making banter/talk as I passed and followed me a couple blocks (trying to work me for money) thinking I was an 'agent' with running commentary about FBI / Elliott Ness and, "Oh, I hasn't seen one of you in a long time". It was quite entertaining.

I do like the espionage / cold war like look over dress clothes. Problem is with decrease in overall dressing up for things - work or entertainment - it doesn't get used as much. When it gets consistently cold with snow, I tend to go with three quarter length dark gray overcoat. Sometimes I'm reminded of the classic short story, The Overcoat by Gogol.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:05 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times
I used to wear either a full length rain coat or a wool overcoat during the winter season. But that was more than a decade ago. Now I wear a "high tech," casual, hip length jacket. If it gets really cold, I'll put on a puffer jacket or a duffle coat.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:06 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I've personally rarely worn a trench in general in my life. I distinctly remember 2 that I had. One was of the brand London Fog in a tan color. The other was a true yellow color. Regarding wearing them to work specifically, I never had a reason to wear them to work. If I did, it was purely for fashion purposes & if the weather called for it.

What I'm thinking of with trench coat is a man's coat style....the slim "reinvented" trench coat in wool with super straight lines & minimalist fitted styling...manly & professional but contemporary. He used it a lot last winter for work travel. I googled "London Fog trenchcoat" & that's not what I was talking about...ha.

edit: Now that I look back....the O.P..& probably everybody is talking about what you're talking about tho....the old fashioned trenchcoat. Sry...I'll stay out of it.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 12-01-2020 at 09:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty