Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 09:31 AM

134 posts, read 118,640 times

Advertisements

The best news of all is that the jacket doesn't smell anymore. Another night under the fan seemed to help. Out of curiosity, here are the detailed washing instructions:

"Secure all closures. Use front loading washer. Turn inside out. Machine wash cold. Wash with like colors. Gentle cycle. Use mild detergent powdered detergent or down wash. Rinse thoroughly at least twice. Do not twist or wring. Remove promptly. Do not use bleach or fabric softeners. Tumble dry low. Include 2 clean tennis balls. Remove and fluff after each cycle, returning to dryer until completely dry. Do not line dry, iron, or steam. Do not dry clean."

I won't even try this until at least spring or summer because I need the great warmth from the jacket. However, I will look at the links and other tips that have been posted here. Thank you for those. As I mentioned, I only have top loading washer with agitator and will have to investigate my dryer to see if it has a low heat setting. If not, I'll seek out ones that will do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 01:44 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,775,949 times
Good news! Sounds like the odor was just superficial. It will be interesting to see if it off-gases when you wear it and are warm or in the sun. With any luck, you won't have any more smells. Enjoy it!

Old 12-18-2020, 07:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
I have an ancient down jacket that I clean just like the instructions on yours. I even dyed it a different color, no problem.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
Like many things we buy, there is a chemical odor left over from the manufacturing process. This can be from anything like synthetics, plastic, dyes, and packaging which all off-gas for a while. The smell will go away in a few days of wearing. Hang it outside in the sunshine and fresh air will take the smell away.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 365 times
Default Help if anyone knows how to get rid of smell

I have a similar smell problem - bought a brand new light down parka form a MAJOR Canadian outdoor brand. It was at end of season sale. Great price! I did not wear it until next season though and as soon as one drop of rain fell on it, I mean misting not even raining, the jacket started to instantly reek of a stank towel or like a hobo. It's unwearable, the smell is so bad... :'( Had I known I would have returned it immediately. I have had down items before and none had ever had a smell. How can you have a jacket that you cannot wear outside because as soon is moisture gets on it it stinks to high heaven??? Now the smell doesn't even go away, my clothes smell of it when I wear it. I am heartbroken. I really like it but can't take the smell. Is there something that can be done? I don't want to have to donate a perfectly new jacket because I cannot take the smell anymore. I really wonder now why the jacket was on such a great sale... perhaps there were so many returns they needed to get rid of them. Thank you!

Last edited by monicakm; 11-15-2022 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-15-2022, 05:20 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
I have a similar smell problem - bought a brand new light down parka form a MAJOR Canadian outdoor brand. It was at end of season sale. Great price! I did not wear it until next season though and as soon as one drop of rain fell on it, I mean misting not even raining, the jacket started to instantly reek of a stank towel or like a hobo. It's unwearable, the smell is so bad... :'( Had I known I would have returned it immediately. I have had down items before and none had ever had a smell. How can you have a jacket that you cannot wear outside because as soon is moisture gets on it it stinks to high heaven??? Now the smell doesn't even go away, my clothes smell of it when I wear it. I am heartbroken. I really like it but can't take the smell. Is there something that can be done? I don't want to have to donate a perfectly new jacket because I cannot take the smell anymore. I really wonder now why the jacket was on such a great sale... perhaps there were so many returns they needed to get rid of them. Thank you!
If your bargain coat doesn't have a waterproof or water resistant outer shell, you don't want to get it wet. Wet down smells like a dead duck. Don't ask me why I know...

Sounds unusual. How was it stored for the year you didn't wear it? If it was stored in a sealed bag, the down may have mildew. Have you tried letting it bake in full direct sunlight? What about taking it to a dry cleaner that has experience cleaning down?

Old 11-24-2022, 01:54 PM

251 posts, read 246,254 times
Regular white vinegar from the grocery store has helped remove many an odor from clothes. I use a spray bottle and spray until the fabric is wet. Hang dry. It may take a few rounds of spray-dry to get all the odor out. Exposure to the sun on top of the spay works well. Remember, you are trying to get the odor agent out, not bake it in to the fibers. Adding white vinegar to the washing machine is effective as well.

Old 11-24-2022, 02:40 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelKate View Post
Regular white vinegar from the grocery store has helped remove many an odor from clothes. I use a spray bottle and spray until the fabric is wet. Hang dry. It may take a few rounds of spray-dry to get all the odor out. Exposure to the sun on top of the spay works well. Remember, you are trying to get the odor agent out, not bake it in to the fibers. Adding white vinegar to the washing machine is effective as well.
You do realize the thread is about washing down garments, right? More complicated than just cleaning the shell. You need to consider the down. If you're washing down yourself, best to stick with a liquid cleaner formulated for it.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-was...orters-2145812

Old 11-26-2022, 09:57 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Like many things we buy, there is a chemical odor left over from the manufacturing process. This can be from anything like synthetics, plastic, dyes, and packaging which all off-gas for a while. The smell will go away in a few days of wearing. Hang it outside in the sunshine and fresh air will take the smell away.
I bought my hubby two new pairs of pyjamas for going into hospital soon... but he opened the plastic bag and said there was a strange smell off them.... and yes there was... reminded me of weak cats pee to be honest.. so now theyve been in the wash.. both sets and ironed.. still a very faint smell but think in next wash will be gone... must be the chemicals used in the manufacturing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty