Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:33 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

Has this link been posted yet? It's a database on cosmetics with ingredients linked to health issues. Cosmetics aren't regulated by the FDA.

Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Database

Quote:
Skin Deep pairs ingredients in more than 25,000 products against 50 definitive toxicity and regulatory databases, making it the largest integrated data resource of its kind. Why did a small nonprofit take on such a big project? Because the FDA doesn't require companies to test their own products for safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:24 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
If you have the time, look around the net under toxic ingredients in cosmetics, etc.

You'll be flabbergasted with what you find. I know I was, and I've been using products from the health food stores the last twenty years or so .. thinking I was doing the right thing.

Turns out, even then, 99% of the products sold there contain all sorts of carcinogens. We're rubbing all sorts of carcinogenic crap into our scalps and all over our bodies, daily.

No wonder so many of us have cancer these days ..

Old 05-08-2008, 07:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Has this link been posted yet? It's a database on cosmetics with ingredients linked to health issues. Cosmetics aren't regulated by the FDA.

I thank you for this link and associated information within this thread. Very good and useful. The reaction my wife had wasn't what I had hoped for... LOL, I looked up some of her hair care products, found them to be toxic, told her, and she said "Well what doesn't cause cancer these days!"... "I don't want to hear any more of that nonsense!".

I certainly hope most people take this a bit more seriously but she does have a point... it seems that with rather reckless-looking abandon nearly everything man-made we use these days is bad for us. How are we to know what's really bad, vs what is really good, vs what is marketing hype to get us to spend our money?

I'll give you a terrific food example (I come from a long line of people in the food/produce industry), did you know that the whole push the last 8 years on how healthy pomegranates are is fabricated? Let me tell you all the real deal (insider scoop) on it. Up until a single American couple bought up significant acreage of pomegranate plants, and until they put forth their own money to fund a University research study to find their health benefits (find or fabricate depending upon who you ask), pomegranates were considered a nearly worthless crop. These folks did the equivalent of "house flipping" but with their pomegranate investment. Now their crops and land are highly valued, and they are very very wealthy. Unfortunate for the rest of the world, most people actually believe the research nonsense they funded, and other major agricultural companies jumped on the bandwagon to sell pomegranates and pomegranate products themselves. We're all now surrounded by companies claiming pomegranates are this wonderful natural remedy for aging or disease fighting. It is all fake.. isn't that amazing? You'd think the media would jump on a story like this... but they don't, and indeed there's hundreds of similar stories worthy of reporting on. This is literally just one example of how we've all been manipulated by bogus research studies and people looking to just add to their wealth.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 AM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Recently I bought some of that 'Porcilana' skin fading cream, to put for the freckles on my back (bikini season is coming) but just yesterday was itching like crazy, my daughter noticed my whole back is broke out in a rash from that stuff, so guess I'll have to quit using it. I dont want to scratch because it might leave scars, or marks, that may not go away.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

If you go by this... you gotta stop using everything...

Check out the "natural" stuff...

http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/browse.php?brand_id=374

Old 05-11-2008, 10:27 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
I've stopped buying moisturizers and body lotions altogether. I just use olive oil on my skin now. If it's healthy to eat, I figure it must be safe to put on your skin.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 16,633 times
I threw away most of my moisturizers and body lotions too. I tried olive oil but am happiest using sweet almond oil (from health food stores) on my face. It absorbs better into the skin than olive oil and smells better too.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
What about SPF - sun protection factors - in skin products?

I have heard they are dangerous, and that they don't work (which doesn't make sense to me because I know they stop me burning!)

Who and what should we believe???

Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
What about SPF - sun protection factors - in skin products?

I have heard they are dangerous, and that they don't work (which doesn't make sense to me because I know they stop me burning!)

Who and what should we believe???
Sunscreens stop you from burning, I guess that's all that we know for sure. What's in question is how well they protect you from the not so obvious hazards of sun exposure, i.e., damage from UVA rays and skin cancer.

I don't know who or what to believe. I'm wearing less sunscreen than I used to. I used to wear an spf 15 moisturizer every day, even if it was raining and I'd be indoors all day. Now I'm reconsidering that. I will still wear a relatively nontoxic sunscreen if I'm going to be in the sun, and then clean it off as soon as possible after getting in out of the sun.

I go to the beach a lot, but in the summer I go early in the morning, and I'm usually out of the sun by 9:30 or 10:00 am, so I'm considering going without sunscreen on those early morning beach days.

But I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't when it comes to sunscreen these days.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Wow! Thanks so much for the link. It looks like I'll be going au naturale!!

Try coconut oil as a moisturizer. It even works in the hair as a conditioner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty