Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 05:46 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I have very curly hair and was very blonde for a decade.

Curly hair is course and dry and going blonde made it worse, really dry and straw like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I was able to keep my hair very healthy. It wasn't straw like thanks to lots of deep conditioner and hair oil.

Ok, sry...BUT this makes no sense. You said it was really dry & straw like & going blond made it worse. I was just ita that dyed blond hair can be bad because of the chemicals.....or any hair color IMO with peroxide or bleach. I would NEVER dye my hair any color....tho I love my hair as it is. JMO. Sry if I misunderstood what you wrote.

edit: I have used natural ingredients to bring out highlights to add depth tho....BUT I never use peroxide or bleach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How many blonde adult women are natural blondes, though? Seriously...

As you age it gets a little darker blond....BUT sun & natural ingredients can lighten it up again. IMO keep it healthy. AND in the last couple of yrs...since I turned 30....I have tried different natural products to highlight it & to keep it shiny AND soft. I didn't need highlights when I was a teen or early 20s ofc.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 12-29-2020 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 05:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
I'm not entirely satisfied with the explanation I, with assistance, thought of, because blonde curls were significantly more common 25+ years ago (my strong assertion that it's an attractive look). I think more women were getting professional hair treatment and it must have been convenient (and damaging) to bleach and perm at the same time, and now with the country less white and women more DIY, straight and shiny is a trend that's easier to sell. Also, I guess natural blonde women rarely have curled their hair, because blonde itself is considered attractive enough. I predict this: if anyone comes up with a cheap, easy method to generate blonde curls with minimal damage, it will become rather popular fast. On the other hand, without going down that off-topic, controversial road, I think men have been getting more desperate. Edit: I think there was a brief resurgence in blonde curls at the start of this century, but the curls were different and in my opinion worse than 80's curls and the look never spread to the general population

Last edited by goodheathen; 12-29-2020 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-30-2020, 01:37 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
No offense to darker-haired women and straight-haired women, but aren't blonde curls prettier than most other possibilities? So why are they uncommon? Too much work and potential damage between curling and (outside the minority natural blondes in most places) dyeing?
Blondes tend to have straighter hair. My blonde hair is silky straight. It will take a set - particularly when done by a professional. However, not for long.

I happen to like the sleek sheen of my hair.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:12 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
Quote:
I'm not entirely satisfied with the explanation I, with assistance, thought of, because blonde curls were significantly more common 25+ years ago (my strong assertion that it's an attractive look). I think more women were getting professional hair treatment and it must have been convenient (and damaging) to bleach and perm at the same time, and now with the country less white and women more DIY, straight and shiny is a trend that's easier to sell. Also, I guess natural blonde women rarely have curled their hair, because blonde itself is considered attractive enough. I predict this: if anyone comes up with a cheap, easy method to generate blonde curls with minimal damage, it will become rather popular fast. On the other hand, without going down that off-topic, controversial road, I think men have been getting more desperate. Edit: I think there was a brief resurgence in blonde curls at the start of this century, but the curls were different and in my opinion worse than 80's curls and the look never spread to the general population
There is such a thing as heatless curls. It's nothing new. I do this myself, often.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:22 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
There is such a thing as heatless curls. It's nothing new. I do this myself, often.
Yeah, I know, male doesn't mean completely ignorant about these things. Curlers, right? But wouldn't doing that or some other form of heatless equal very brief results and/or be time-consuming (as in braiding)? Until the pandemic, women's hours working outside the home were significantly higher than decades ago (and during the pandemic many people care less about how they look).

Old 12-30-2020, 10:46 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ok, sry...BUT this makes no sense. You said it was really dry & straw like & going blond made it worse. I was just ita that dyed blond hair can be bad because of the chemicals.....or any hair color IMO with peroxide or bleach. I would NEVER dye my hair any color....tho I love my hair as it is. JMO. Sry if I misunderstood what you wrote.

edit: I have used natural ingredients to bring out highlights to add depth tho....BUT I never use peroxide or bleach.

As you age it gets a little darker blond....BUT sun & natural ingredients can lighten it up again. IMO keep it healthy. AND in the last couple of yrs...since I turned 30....I have tried different natural products to highlight it & to keep it shiny AND soft. I didn't need highlights when I was a teen or early 20s ofc.
For me, my hair is strong. But it was so soft and fine. Remember I didn’t even use conditioner. Actually using a cap system with bleach was actually a good thing for my hair. It gave my hair some texture. I really only did it about every six months or so usually once in June and once around November.

And that’s the thing. Your hair will change as you go on through life. You have to learn to work with the hair that you have now. And understand that sometimes those changes come very quickly. I am really lucky that the gray that I’m getting into my hair can actually pass as highlight.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:53 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And that’s the thing. Your hair will change as you go on through life. You have to learn to work with the hair that you have now. And understand that sometimes those changes come very quickly. I am really lucky that the gray that I’m getting into my hair can actually pass as highlight.

I'm a super long way from gray. That's not something I think about now ofc...BUT I do take care of my hair just like my skin. I'm lucky to be able to do it as part of my channel & offer tips
& reviews.

AND ita about changes tho...I have seen my hair darken a little through my 20s. That's totally normal for blonds.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:57 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I am playing with you. I am seldom serious on this board unless the person is a male troll. Then he is "finished" if I happen to read his stuff. Male trolls beware!

You are right about illnesses and women that deal with such hard situations. Hair color is petty in comparison.
I am personally fine with my hair. I am relating to stories of wishing I had blonde curls as a little girl because I could relate with the OP about thinking that blonde curls were prettiest. I would never bleach or lighten my hair because of the damage. Highlights, yes, but I have no problem with it's color.
Did you grow up with the 3rd wave of Shirley Temple being popular in the early 1970's?

I had the blond hair, but mine was fine and pin straight. So straight in fact that even on my wedding day, it was curled super curly and by the time we got to Cypress Gardens to marry, it had fallen into waves. Pic on my profile. After the pictures, it returned to straight for the rest of the day.

No matter what I do, rollers at night, curling iron with hot rollers plus spraying it in, it will fall.

The only time it some what curled was in the 80's when I had a tight perm.

Quote:
That's how rumors begin. Not that it would be terrible if I did, but I did not say blonde curls are "best." I would list that in my top 2.
Spoiler
Also, I'm not very picky on hair and would not 'ding' a woman for many hair looks not high on my list, if the hair looks healthy and styled in a flattering way. Shine doesn't consciously factor in.
Blonde curls just happen to draw in me and probably many others. By the way, there's a theory that unusual hair types generally rate higher. Blonde curls in adult women are infrequent probably everywhere nowadays, and maybe the 80's was the only decade they were common.
80's hair was the best ever! Everyone these days wears the same iron straightened hair, how boring. At least in the 80's the girls were able to perm, wear different colors and tease it up.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:58 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
I think blonde curls are very feminine and pretty. I went blonde years ago but was never able to get it light enough - I'm a natural redhead and the red kept coming through. I wanted to be a silvery blonde - it was a battle and I finally gave up and let nature win.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:36 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
There was Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, the Little Mermaid. All blondes. Lily James played in the most recent (2015) Cinderella movie and is blonde! Frozen is blonde. You are trying to infer I am ancient and out of touch! ; )
You do realize that these are cartoon characters, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty