Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:45 AM

3,173 posts, read 1,273,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Quite often you could notice that men who don't have much hear in their head (thining, receding) have full and thick facial hair.
Actually, men who have thick hair usually have thick beard too.

Rare beard is more common among men who have rare hair.

I have both thick hair and thick beard myself but I feel like I should shave my beard off because I look like a dirty person with the beard.

My bald friend has rare beard. And he does not look like a dirty person leaving beard because he has rare beard himself. He is also bald.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 01-09-2021 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 08:34 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Actually, men who have thick hair usually have thick beard too.

Rare beard is more common among men who have rare hair.

I have both thick hair and thick beard myself but I feel like I should shave my beard off because I look like a dirty person with the beard.

My bald friend has rare beard. And he does not look like a dirty person leaving beard because he has rare beard himself. He is also bald.
FYI, "Thin" beard and hair, not "rare", which has a slightly different use.

Whether or not to shave, trim, or cut face hair, leg hair, head hair is determined by fashion, culture, and sometimes religion.

One person might see something as trendy, another think it's dirty. YMMV.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
FYI, "Thin" beard and hair, not "rare", which has a slightly different use.

Whether or not to shave, trim, or cut face hair, leg hair, head hair is determined by fashion, culture, and sometimes religion.

One person might see something as trendy, another think it's dirty. YMMV.
I feel like I should shave off the beard not to look like a ravisher.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:25 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
Today we have a lot of flexibility. But I can imagine a large part of the reason being a more practical one. Hair on our head insulates us from extreme heat and cold. It helps us regulate temperature. If you were to shave your head and go outside in the winter or summer, you would feel very cold and very hot almost immediately.

Facial hair can get in the way with eating activities if you don't maintain it.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Today we have a lot of flexibility. But I can imagine a large part of the reason being a more practical one. Hair on our head insulates us from extreme heat and cold. It helps us regulate temperature. If you were to shave your head and go outside in the winter or summer, you would feel very cold and very hot almost immediately.

Facial hair can get in the way with eating activities if you don't maintain it.
Wouldn't beard keep the face warmer in winter?

Old 01-09-2021, 12:55 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
Quote:
Wouldn't beard keep the face warmer in winter?
Generally, yes. But heat loss is much greater at the top of the head.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:26 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
It’s worth pointing out, that at various times throughout history, hair has been perceived differently. Nowadays, long hair on men is almost viewed as a sign of rebellion. It gets you labeled as a rocker or druggie. Thankfully, not everyone perceives things in such shallow terms.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:17 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
I feel like I should shave off the beard not to look like a ravisher.
"A ravisher"! I like it. How's the beard scene in Turkey? Every guy has a short trimmed beard at least, right?

We're trying to go there in Spring...

I might ask: why do women shave legs but not arms? Which is more visible?

It's all the fashion of the day. I recall growing up as a kid, there was a guy in our church with a Clark Gable type mustache and we were all afraid of him as being of questionable character, LOL. So unusual then...

Old 01-09-2021, 03:26 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
I have pogonophobia so please keep shaving Those long nasty unkempt beards with food bits are so disgusting.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:01 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,971,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I might ask: why do women shave legs but not arms? Which is more visible?
Leg hair is usually a lot thicker. Many women with dark/thick arm hair do shave or bleach it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty