Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 01:16 AM

513 posts, read 736,560 times

Advertisements

The brand is spelled Eddie "Bauer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 03:45 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You DON'T wash "down."

EVER.

EDIT~ Dry clean if it's horribly dirty, but never water and soap.
I have two down camp comforters that I wash. Im supposed to wash them. Ive also had down coats that were washable. Put them in the dryer with a couple tennis balls and life is good! I just bought a washable merino wool coat for this winter.

I dont dry clean EVER - because Im NOT into having chemicals laying on my body for 8 or more hours a day.

I would assume anyone is going to follow the instructions in the item's care tags.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:16 AM

134 posts, read 118,585 times
Since opinions were divided, at the last minute, decided to wash it. Went exactly according to the tag and all is well. Took 3 low heat dryer cycles but fluff was actually a bit more than when received. Maybe the tennis balls used.

Overall, a nice throw. Larger than any of my other down throws, but not as much filling. Seems warm enough.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You DON'T wash "down."

EVER.

EDIT~ Dry clean if it's horribly dirty, but never water and soap.
Yes, yes you do.

I have one that was my parents when they got married. It has been washed and dried hundreds of times through the years. I put it in the dryer with tennis balls.

Gross on not washing it.

Dry cleaning? Those chemicals are disgusting. And stink.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:57 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
I have a bazillion Eddie Bauer down throws. They're the style with polyester fabric on one side and fleece on the other. I wash them all the time, in a regular washer, warm water, and Woolite. Put them in the dryer with 3 tennis balls on low heat until they're dried enough so there aren't any soggy blobs of down, then on a rack until thoroughly dry.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I have a bazillion Eddie Bauer down throws. They're the style with polyester fabric on one side and fleece on the other. I wash them all the time, in a regular washer, warm water, and Woolite. Put them in the dryer with 3 tennis balls on low heat until they're dried enough so there aren't any soggy blobs of down, then on a rack until thoroughly dry.

That's the one I bought, fabric on the one side and fleece on the other. The only thing I lacked was mild detergent, but I have been using blue Dawn dishwashing liquid without any trouble. I just make sure to do an extra rinse to be sure all the soap is gone before drying.

I actually have three down throws of standard size that are all poly fabric, two plaid and one blue. Unfortunately, over time, the brand name wore off so I don't know who made them. They are slightly thicker than the EB one I just bought and a bit warmer, but not quite large enough and the "oversize" dimensions are what won me for the EB. These other throws though have been around more or less for a decade and washed several times without any issues.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:51 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Iverson View Post
Actually, there are washing instructions right on it. They recommend a non-agitator type washer and a dryer with low heat to get the job done. I have washed small down throws in the past successfully. The keys to success are gentle or hand washing with mild detergent and then fully drying. If not fully dry, there will be a smell.
Once you wash down it is never fully the same again, ever.....

If you're that concerned about cooties just put one or more covers over the throw and be done with things. You can even buy special duvet/throw "protector" covers that are plain but do the job of keeping a layer between what's underneath and above.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

According to who? If not, then why does every down item I own have specific washing instructions?

Quote:
If you're that concerned about cooties just put one or more covers over the throw and be done with things. You can even buy special duvet/throw "protector" covers that are plain but do the job of keeping a layer between what's underneath and above.
A cover for an "oversized down throw" is going to be a difficult find I would think.

The only down item I washed that did seem to lose its insulating qualities was a thin down puffer jacket. The first time I washed it I didn't go by the washing instructions on the tag and it was never as warm again.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:15 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

I have to take issue with that too. I've been washing down jackets for decades. I just washed one that's at least 30 years old and it looks like new. Longevity is far more dependent on the quality of the construction and the care taken to prevent down from being lost through the seams. Likewise, if you don't get the item dried, and this is where tennis balls are essential in the dryer, you can be left with soggy clumps of feathers that can get moldy and smell.

I've washed the E.B. down throws under discussion here at least 20 times, and the limiting factor in their longevity is the fleece, which loses it's fluff well before the down side does. However the fleece makes them a lot warmer than down-only throws of a similar thickness, so it's a trade-off.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:27 AM

A jacket is probably something I'm going to wash this spring. I'll probably hand wash it in the tub with down wash and then tumble dry on low.

The cheaper puffer down jacket I did wash, without regard to the washing instructions, did turn out as you describe with a smell. I still have it and its wearable, but I just count on the same warmth it once had. In any case, the lesson learned was to always follow the tag instructions....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty