Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 01:38 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,232,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I'm sorry you're so concerned with others fashion choices. I do agree though that wearing a baseball hat, or any hat for that matter (cowboy hat etc....) in a nice restaurant is trashy. If you're at Dennys then who give a ......

Ah, but who determines what classifies as a nice restaurant?

Someone may think Chilis qualifies as a nice restaurant, while others say it doesn't meet that threshold.

Personally, my take is any restaurant that has a dress code of business casual and above, there should be no hats worn. Restaurants with lower standards, it's still tacky IMO, but not unheard of. Fast food places are ok. You go to a pizza place or McDonalds for a quick bite and you see a bunch of sweaty/dirty kids eating there after their baseball/soccer game, wearing a hat yourself is no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 02:28 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Ah, but who determines what classifies as a nice restaurant?

Someone may think Chilis qualifies as a nice restaurant, while others say it doesn't meet that threshold.
I do. . . for me only.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:33 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I recall observing my father's shift to wearing a ballcap in his senior years. He was of a generation that wore hats as part of one's acceptable daily public dress (fedora, Homburg, etc), but that generation also observed social conventions when to remove them. He always kept a couple of basically new dress hats. He was never a fashion plate, but when hats were no longer part of the public uniform he stopped wearing them because they would be glaringly out of style with the rest of his clothing.

He said he wore a ballcap to: keep his head a little warmer, keep bright sun out of his eyes, keep his ears and bald pate from getting sunburned when a solid fabric hat would be too hot, and yes, I know he was self conscious about being bald. At first, he removed it in the same situations he would have taken off any other other hat. As he aged, that changed. He no longer cared what anyone else thought about his appearance, social convention or not. The list of people he cared to show respect for dwindled down to nothing over time. It had nothing to do with class. I also think much of it was simply not remembering the cap was even on his head until something about it brought it to his attention.
OMG. Daughter, is that you?

Actually I still move between several fedoras and a patrol cap, depending on the formality of clothing I'm wearing. And I've got a couple of cowboy hats I'll wear in certain situations. But I don't have any sports caps--my caps are related to my status as a military veteran.

And commensurate with that, I never wear camouflage...which I regard as "functional wear," being specifically worn when the task is to kill someone or something.

I'll wear the hat in a restaurant if it's casual enough, but we've severely restricted our range of restaurants. We rarely go to a restaurant that is "casual enough."

Old 01-17-2021, 02:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Yes it is unless you are a girl or a maga with a death wish

Old 01-17-2021, 03:01 PM

6,088 posts, read 3,328,091 times
I like to wear baseball hats every once in awhile. I think fast food, it’s ok to wear one. But at any nicer restaurant, even one with a waitress/waiter, you probably shouldn’t be wearing one.

In the military, it was a rule at the club. I had a friend of mine as we were dining on base get told to take his hat off because it was command policy. Made sense to me.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:14 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
It doesn't bother me in the grand scheme of things. I much rather see baseball caps, than people in pajamas or crazy bedroom slippers. Yes, I've seen people sitting in restaurants with their night wear on, in places that serve breakfast.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:41 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times
Depends on the restaurant. Wear a hat at Outback Steakhouse = nobody cares. Wear a hat at Alinea and you'll have issues.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:01 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
It doesn't bother me in the grand scheme of things. I much rather see baseball caps, than people in pajamas or crazy bedroom slippers. Yes, I've seen people sitting in restaurants with their night wear on, in places that serve breakfast.
Me too. There are far more important things to focus on. I don't find ball caps low class or trashy, I know plenty of high earners who wear them.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:12 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Me too. There are far more important things to focus on. I don't find ball caps low class or trashy, I know plenty of high earners who wear them.
And the you have the military veterans,who like to wear the ball caps of their ships or commands they served.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Good grief, another thing for people to get uppity over for no reason. I have a SnapBack hat collection I’m proud of and hair that when it ain’t cut has a mind if it’s own. You’ll probably see me with a hat 90% of the time. Now if I’m going to the office or going to an event where I’ll need to go to the business casual section of my closet, I’ll leave the cap at home. I just don’t like the judging if I hit a Cajun seafood place with my Panthers brim like it means a damn thing about who I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty