Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 05:08 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times

Advertisements

Men's hats should be removed indoors except during the most casual/brief errands, or when in transit (e.g. train stations, airports).

Wearing a hat indoors is the visual equivalent of a damp handshake. Is it a big deal? No, but it's uncouth and makes a poor impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 05:14 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
I'm old school. Men wearing hats indoors that are not part of a uniform (military, police, etc.) are off-putting to me. I cringed when I saw a pic on FB of a friend and her husband in some swanky restaurant in Italy and he was wearing a ball cap. So much for "when in Rome.."

Yeah, it's superficial. I'm not going to immediately conclude he's trashy, redneck, etc.- but it's a turnoff for me.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:30 PM

19,715 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Plus, they're filthy! How many people EVER wash them in a sink or a washing machine? So they'll shower, brush their teeth, apply deodarent -- but then wander into decent establishments with these filthy baseball caps!

Actually, there have been several hygiene threads on this forum of people proudly proclaiming they only shower once a week or less, or who claim they don't *need* deodorant...

Old 01-17-2021, 06:44 PM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Once people started talking about "designer" jeans and it was OK to wear these any place because they cost "a lot of money", gentility and graciousness were out. As if cost had anything to do with it.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:02 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Once people started talking about "designer" jeans and it was OK to wear these any place because they cost "a lot of money", gentility and graciousness were out. As if cost had anything to do with it.
I think it was more because high-end venues decided they liked the money that people wearing expensive designer clothing were likely to spend...and attract. The "best places" made their own decision that Mick and Bianca could wear whatever they wanted and still get a seat...there went decorum.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:06 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm old school. Men wearing hats indoors that are not part of a uniform (military, police, etc.) are off-putting to me. I cringed when I saw a pic on FB of a friend and her husband in some swanky restaurant in Italy and he was wearing a ball cap. So much for "when in Rome.."

Yeah, it's superficial. I'm not going to immediately conclude he's trashy, redneck, etc.- but it's a turnoff for me.
I taught all my sons (young 20s now) to remove their hats when walking indoors...depending on where they were, I allowed them to put it back on. (The hockey rink etc.) NO ONE else did it but I like old school. It shows a bit of respect. It came in handy when my son entered the military. He already knew to remove his "cover."

Old 01-17-2021, 07:17 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I don't care for how they look but if I were a bald man I would probably want to wear one in the summer to keep from getting sunburned. Some other kind if hat for cold weather would be nicer. For people that wear glasses the brim would keep the rain off. So I can see that they have some practical uses.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:47 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Sometimes a red neck shampoo is all there is when running an errand:>) We did not have enough time when we drove through Mas/Boston to go to a restaurant. Generally the male population in my neck of the woods was raised right as it is called. And yes, those things get washed. There are even contraptions to assure the better ones keep their shape during washing/drying. You may not have been to some of your travel destinations lately.
Used to be called a "Hat Buddy." I haven't looked for one, as in: ever. I wash my ball caps with the hose out front, to be frank. It's obvious when they're getting a bit punky, we might say. An unwashed ball cap is pretty low to me, not the concept in-general.

I have a collection of nice ones from MLB. That being about four, I do suppose. They get worn at games. I wear my Tigers hat...v dark blue w/Gothic 'D' ...on occasion when out doing something sporting like a nice brisk walk as that's where I grew up and spent lots of time summers of '84 and '85. Sometimes with a jersey, as a statement. The jersey must be louder than I think, some comment on those and I'm not the type most people approach. Oh well.

Funny, I have two Master's and a STEM B.S. and a leadership role in IT at a mid-cap. So, I'm educated and well-employed. Well spoken when I choose to be, not to be confused with 'debonair.' Usually not called trashy...more "willfully iconoclastic" pardon a bit of humblebragging in the previous.

PS: I've taken to wearing my Fedoras again over the winter: I have two Bosalinos, a Stetson, and a Biltmore. The Borsalinos are best of the bunch, fine Italian wear from the old days made in the old way. One blue, and a black one just bought for myself at Christmas. 2 1/2" brim appeals to me. Dunno if this trend will continue in my world, but that Fedora comes off indoors.

...Obviously(?)

Might buy a Borsalino Panama in the Spring of '21. I've taken to shaving my head, which I also find highly amusing. My hair is all there, at 53, but I freakin' hate to deal with it so there we go. I see no one wearing Fedoras these days. Hell with them, I think they're sharp.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I don’t wear hats when Im eating. Other than that you can wear whatever you wish.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:09 PM

6,799 posts, read 4,243,396 times
I'll take a hat off in a nice restaurant but not a diner type place. I honestly don't care what strangers think about that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty