Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 07:39 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I could careless if someone’s wearing something on their head, inside or out side. And I don’t go to anyplace voluntarily that has a dress code to eat. I guess I’m just to much a social libertarian, live and let live kinda person. Life is way way to short to be concerned and get all twisted up inside about hats.
This is true, and I don't use it as a means to judge anyone. You can cross path with an angel wearing a ball cap, while someone with no ball cap ruin your day. As the saying goes, you can't judge a book by it's cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 07:41 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Rule of thumb for consideration: If there are entrees on the menu more than $20, you must remove your hat while dining. If less that $20 per entree, it is optional.

J/K but really it comes down to the type of restaurant. Not sure anyone cares or notices what someone wears in Burger King or even at the local Applebees.
If truckers or cowboys are wearing their hats, everyone is supposed to be wearing their hats. Every place has its decorum, and the decorum of some establishments is hats.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:00 AM

726 posts, read 328,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Does anybody here actually agree with me?
Yeah, you're not alone, Bostonguy. Every other Sunday Mrs. Boone and I go to this nearby country club for brunch. We're not members, mind you, but they have a good chef -- a rarity in these parts. So just yesterday, at a table of about a dozen "younger" people, two of the guys were wearing baseball caps. Mrs. Boone commented how low class that was. What bothered me more, I think, was one of the guys had on a T-shirt. I tend to think about dressing up, at least a little, when I go out, especially to a semi-nice restaurant. Otherwise, you're nothing but a slob*.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Hat Etiquette
https://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/hat-etiquette
  1. It is traditionally considered an act of charming courtesy and respect for men to remove their hats in the presence of a woman.
  2. Men should remove their hats while on an elevator, especially if a lady is present.
  3. Men typically remove their hats when entering a building or upon arrival to their destination.
  4. Men shall not wear their hat inside a church; it is appropriate for women to wear dress hats, however.
  5. Traditionally, a gentleman will tip his hat to a lady in passing. He may replace it after she has passed or as they begin to walk/talk together.
  6. It is very poor manners and could be taken as an insult if a man were to tip his hat to another man.
Thanks for the laugh? That's the most sexist thing I've read in quite a while.

People may like it or not, but social etiquette changes, fashions change. It's not the 50s anymore.

My husband has a small collection of baseball caps. He's bald and uses them to protect his head from the sun, or on mildly cold days for warmth. He washes them regularly. I'm trying to think if he takes them off when we used to go out to eat, and I can't even remember. I guess whatever he does it doesn't bother me! He likely wouldn't even put one on when we head out to a nicer place. I wouldn't care if he wore one in a diner or pub.

I have a few as well. I only wear mine when doing physical labour or outdoor activities. It's practical - keeps the hair out of the way better than just a pony tail, is a sweat band, plus the obvious sun thing. Never wear them indoors, there's no need for me to.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:06 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Seeing people sitting at restaurant tables wearing a baseball cap has bothered me for years now.

It seems to be an American thing? I'm American but parents are Canadian. I'm a white gay male, almost 61, if that matters. Haven't been to a Canadian restaurant in years but maybe it's prevalent there as well -- and in Britain, Ireland, Australia, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Russia, Brazil, etc.?

I've been near bald and gray for years so would likely benefit from covering my head with a cap of any kind. I'd like to but don't want to disappoint strangers if I remove it. But if I wore caps, I'd remove it in a sit down restaurant....even chains like Applebee's, Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, steakhouses, Ruby Tuesdays, etc.

I met an elderly couple visiting here in Boston ten years ago, and I actually asked about their views on certain American customs. And I told them my views on ballcaps, and they agreed, saying it's considered low-class in Ireland to wear a baseball cap, at least then...and I think they meant in general, not just in restaurants. Not sure if most everyone there feels that way then and now, or just older folks or certain socioeconomic backgrounds.

Plus, they're filthy! How many people EVER wash them in a sink or a washing machine? So they'll shower, brush their teeth, apply deodarent -- but then wander into decent establishments with these filthy baseball caps!

It seems to me mainly a male thing, but of course women in America wear ballcaps, especially on weekends to the grocery store with a ponytail sticking out.

Maybe it's my age or snobiness at times. But I believe even 50-60 year olds and older are wearing baseball caps? A socioeconomic quirk more than poor taste? Nothing to do with socioeconomics, class or age at all?

And I admit that some or many of these folks are richer, more educated, more popular and better looking than me! So who am I to set modern American etiquette in the first place, right?

Does anybody here actually agree with me?

I'm sure some or many athletes and celebrities are seen in decent public places on gossip sites wearing baseball caps, especially on weekends. So it's likely our American culture now, and I may seem foolish to many or all of you for even noticing, never mind complaining, about such "trivial" matters?

(Wasn't sure which subforum to place this so submitted it here. Sorry if it's the wrong place.)

Many years ago, I used to notice if a guy was wearing a hat in a restaurant. But it's been a 'thing' for so many years now, that I don't even think about it. It doesn't bother me. I'm 63. And I'm not saying what I'm saying because he wears hats in restaurants...he doesn't. It's just not a big deal to me.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:19 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
So refreshing to learn that there are plenty of folks out there more judgmental and superficial than me.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:22 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Seeing people sitting at restaurant tables wearing a baseball cap has bothered me for years now.
We are about the same age, and I remember a time in America when it was expected for men to remove their hat when indoors. It was considered rude to keep your hat on inside the house, the school building, church, etc.

Then at some point the idea took hold that anyone could do whatever they want, and the habit of men removing their hats indoors, went by the wayside.

If we're at the point now where Brooklyn hipsters and metrosexuals look down their noses at working class ballcap wearers, then we've come full circle.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:24 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Manners have gone out the window years ago. I do not agree with wearing hats inside a restaurant either

Old 01-18-2021, 09:20 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
But it does say a lot about who you are.

Especially if you are not bald or not balding and you wear, as you say, a baseball cap or snapback hat, 90% of the time.

I can see wearing baseball caps if a man is bald or balding, and he wants to cover up the baldness - although there are other types of cool hats which I like much more for men to wear too if baldness is the reason.

But the guys who wear a baseball cap almost all the time.....and it isn't a matter of sun protection or sun glare a lot of the time......why? In some cases, it's to identify with a sports team and they carry it to an extreme.....but in the other cases?
The only thing my brims say about me is that I’m probably a fan of the Carolina Panthers, Virginia Tech Hokies, Atlanta Hawks, or Los Angeles Angels. You would know I’m loyal to mediocre teams but that’s it.

It doesn’t tell you I hold a Master’s degree. It doesn’t tell you I’m building a second career in fighting for police reform and LGBTQ+ rights. It doesn’t tell you I supervise a team of 20 in my day job. Also, it doesn’t tell you I have an embarrassing acne condition on the back of my head that only recently started responding to treatment. So that is also why I like to wear my hats.

Assuming that you can even get a sniff of who I am just for the fact I wear a hat when I come into the hip diner in Durham is just ignorant. There is no way around that.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:47 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
This is true, and I don't use it as a means to judge anyone. You can cross path with an angel wearing a ball cap, while someone with no ball cap ruin your day. As the saying goes, you can't judge a book by it's cover.
Yep.

I wear all kinds of things out and about that some would consider "low class," to include baseball caps, du rags, etc. And I'm an attorney and military officer. From where I stand, your clothing doesn't dictate your character or worth. And I wear these things precisely to challenge people's notions of what is acceptable or "scary," acknowledging that these things are completely subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty