Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 12:57 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Can ANYBODY tell me why a gay person has to advertise that they're gay? Especially when it has ZERO to do with the subject. (Hats in public/indoors.)

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

NTTAWWT, but I just don't get why this seems to be a popular thing with homosexuals. (Advertising being gay.) I can't recall someone saying their "straight" as something that isn't warranted, nor needed.

I agree with you on the hats/beanies thing, though.
Haha, also why mention being white? Maybe being a male is relevant since it's mostly males who wear baseball caps but I don't know why being gay and white has anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 04:54 AM

61,651 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMary100 View Post
Head caps and garmets have been around for 1000's of years and people still need to eat.
Why should people take their hat off if they have a cold head? Those ball caps keep the head warm, ya know.
When a person takes their ball cap off in a restaurant, head hairs and dandruff can fly about and land on your food... Especially when ceiling fans are spinning.
You should be thankful most of the hats are being left on
So cold in a restaurant???
Taking the hat off in a restaurant is about manners. I guess they are a foreign concept to some...

Old 01-19-2021, 07:22 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Taking the hat off in a restaurant is about manners. I guess they are a foreign concept to some...
I'll just add that manners are subjective and fluid, which is why I personally have a problem with trying to push my values and expectations on others. Yes, there are some more clear cut cases than others based on societal norms, but norms change over time. And, even then, I argue that folks shouldn't be held to societal norms if they aren't hurting anyone, and that such isn't bad manners objectively. Now, I'll encourage everyone to follow the rules of an establishment when eating out as they are guests, but if the establishment doesn't have any requirement to remove your hat, etc., I don't care one way or the other what people do.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:35 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Manners aren’t foreign to me. Personally I think most manners are just another way for people to be judgmental and uppity.

These “suggestions†about what another person should put on their body reminds me of an argument I had with a bigot on the Kentucky forum who suggested that black men should not wear hoodies if they do not want to end up like Trayvon Martin. That is why I side-eye people who want to talk about manners because in a lot of cases it is nothing more than veiled bigotry.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:44 AM

928 posts, read 498,948 times
I haven't read all the pages here, but I think its trashy for sure unless its a sports bar, then its ok. I think any man who meets a woman for a first date (even a coffee date) who wears a baseball hat should be eliminated in her mind. Its a huge sign of disrespect I believe. But hey, I'm not a Millennial (Gen X) and their rules are very different from mine.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Can ANYBODY tell me why a gay person has to advertise that they're gay? Especially when it has ZERO to do with the subject. (Hats in public/indoors.)

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

NTTAWWT, but I just don't get why this seems to be a popular thing with homosexuals. (Advertising being gay.) I can't recall someone saying their "straight" as something that isn't warranted, nor needed.

I agree with you on the hats/beanies thing, though.

Well, THAT'S kind of a crappy reply.

I believe he was probably trying to give people an idea of his frame of reference. Sometimes, I'll do that too. Like "I'm a 63 yr old female, and these details might influence my thoughts...." It's saying "this is who I am, and maybe that's the reason I think the way I think."

Old 01-19-2021, 08:58 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,140 times
I do not wear caps at all. I was a teen in the early 80s, and I am aware of the expectation to not wear a cap inside. I have heard others talk about this issue all my life.

For me personally, I do not care about this. It is a non issue to me, and I never expect anyone to take their cap off.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:31 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
What is especially charming is the folks who wear their ball caps backwards, with the bill on the back of their head. Seriously, nothing says "I'm a genius" like being to dim to know how to wear a hat....

They might as well have a tattoo across their foreheads that reads, "Halfwit." Then again, we shouldn't deter them. Makes it easier to identify who they are.

The only place a baseball cap should be worn backwards is if you're in a crouch behind home plate with a catcher's mitt in your hand.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:49 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Haha, also why mention being white? Maybe being a male is relevant since it's mostly males who wear baseball caps but I don't know why being gay and white has anything to do with it.
Good point. Skin color has about as much to do with indoor hats, as sexual orientation. Or, sex for that matter.

Now, back to our Mad Hatter.

The OP chose hats for his vehicle. What if we were to substitute "mask" for "hat" wearing?

Is this different?

How so?

This post is designed to make you think. If you thought, then this post has accomplished as designed.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:52 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,024,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
I haven't read all the pages here, but I think its trashy for sure unless its a sports bar, then its ok. I think any man who meets a woman for a first date (even a coffee date) who wears a baseball hat should be eliminated in her mind. Its a huge sign of disrespect I believe. But hey, I'm not a Millennial (Gen X) and their rules are very different from mine.
Can you imagine if all the lamenting about no second dates in the relationship section actually turned out to be because a guy wore a ballcap and the woman thought it was rude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty