Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 05:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times

Advertisements

I notice article of clothing's in some better stores like Nordstrom and Bloomingdales, etc, etc., that charge higher than average pricing for clothes that are made in China. And while I know technically you can buy/find nice clothes that are made in China, is the price tag really conducive of the quality of said clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 05:37 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I notice article of clothing's in some better stores like Nordstrom and Bloomingdales, etc, etc., that charge higher than average pricing for clothes that are made in China. And while I know technically you can buy/find nice clothes that are made in China, is the price tag really conducive of the quality of said clothes?
There are some premium brands that are made in China or other Asian countries such as Vietnam, India, Bangladesh, or Indonesia (Polo Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger come to mind), and quality can be pretty good. You usually have to go up to the full luxury segment if you want clothing made in countries such as the USA or Italy (most Ralph Lauren Purple Label is made in Italy).

Old 01-23-2021, 03:22 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Nothing made in China is quality.

sorrynotsorry

Old 01-23-2021, 05:04 PM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times
It depends of course, there's quality and not so good quality but that goes for all countries. I've had shoes and other clothes made in China and they were good quality and lasted many years. Same with electronics, my current PS5 is made in China and so far no issues at all.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:26 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
I think Bangladesh is a long shot. I would rate it below India as far as quality of production goes for just about anything. Most of my Made in Bangladesh clothing goes into the trash. Also clothing Made in India and Bangladesh has a distinct cheap look to it. I can always tell the difference when I receive items from these countries.

At this point China is top of the line You have a 50% chance of producing a decent product in most sectors. Even higher depending on what goods. Mexico HIGHER than 50 %. We don't give them enough business. We should.
India I'd say about 20% and Bangladesh about 10%.

Vietnam in the 30 to 40% range.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
I started looking at my clothing tags recently and noticed that the vast majority of clothing is made in France, UK, and Italy. One brand of clothing I have (Robert Graham) is made in India. I don't see much in difference between them in terms of quality.

I do have a single tie made in China... and it's fine.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:41 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I started looking at my clothing tags recently and noticed that the vast majority of clothing is made in France, UK, and Italy.
You obviously aren't shopping where the rest of us are. However I have taken your lead and have started to build up a wardrobe from Japan, England , and other countries when I was traveling.

America isn't good for shopping anymore.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:48 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Of course it’s possible. Like anyone, the Chinese are capable of making quality stuff. The Seagull watch movement is the example I like to roll out - it’s a delicate and complicated mechanical thing to make, and it’s quite excellent.

Are the Chinese made clothes at fairly affluent stores worth it? That’s probably hit-or-miss. With Chinese products, if you want guaranteed quality, you have to really search out individual brands which make high quality stuff if you want to be guaranteed of it. In my experience that means you’ll generally pay less than equivalent, established brands for equal quality, but not as much less as you might hope.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:42 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Pricewise? From Nordy's or Bloomies? Nope, they'll charge high prices for garbage. Just because it's a "better" store, doesn't mean they don't throw junk, in with better quality stuff. Unfortunately, this practice reflects on the store's name. If it happens enough, then the store's perceived "better" rating by consumers will be questioned.
This is what happened to:

Broadway

Buffums

Walker Scott

to name 3 of them.

Chinese can make wonderful items, of outstanding quality, but somebody needs to watch over their shoulder, to make sure procedures are followed. Otherwise, you get "Triple C." (Cheap Chinese Crap.)

Old 01-24-2021, 03:58 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
You obviously aren't shopping where the rest of us are. However I have taken your lead and have started to build up a wardrobe from Japan, England , and other countries when I was traveling.

America isn't good for shopping anymore.
Uh, I just go to department stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty