Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2021, 03:11 PM

13 posts, read 14,453 times

Advertisements

So i had kind of an argument/debate about this to a friend of mine. I said in my I think you shouldn't wear a du rag in public because in my opinion it looks trashy and i do not want to give off that vibe or have that negative image it gives. His defense was you shouldn't care what people think if you wanna wear a du rag you can wear one. He says you gotta be confident. He says he wears his to work, to meet his girlfriends parents and at parties apparently. Same thing goes for pajama pants in public according to him. Personally my argument was there is a time and place to wear certain clothes. Certain things are just not appropriate to wear in public i think but that is my opinion. What do you guys think do you think? As long as you don't care what people think you can wear whatever and whenever and you cant be insecure? or do you disagree. Personally i just think this is kind of an interesting topic i always thought about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 03:24 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
For personal esteem, at the end of the day, wear what makes you happy. But that's a very very broad statement. Wearing whatever you want, whenever you want, might get you attention you don't want, or people might make fun of you, or whatever. The question is; does it matter to you?

If it matters, adapt. If it doesn't, carry on.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:40 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
You are within your rights to think he looks tacky. He's also entitled to wear what he wants if he likes it. Mostly it probably won't matter. However, if he has a job interview he could be passed over. If he's attracted to a woman that doesn't like his clothes, he's SOL with her. He may be written off by some people as a slob. If he's got a nice personality older people may think he's just young and young people make silly fashion choices. However, if he thinks he looks great and is happy about it let him be. It has no reflection on you. You can be the sharp dressed man.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:24 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
People judge based on appearances. It's up to you to decide if, and when, their opinions might make a difference to you.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:27 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldstylez View Post
So i had kind of an argument/debate about this to a friend of mine. I said in my I think you shouldn't wear a du rag in public because in my opinion it looks trashy and i do not want to give off that vibe or have that negative image it gives. His defense was you shouldn't care what people think if you wanna wear a du rag you can wear one. He says you gotta be confident. He says he wears his to work, to meet his girlfriends parents and at parties apparently. Same thing goes for pajama pants in public according to him. Personally my argument was there is a time and place to wear certain clothes. Certain things are just not appropriate to wear in public i think but that is my opinion. What do you guys think do you think? As long as you don't care what people think you can wear whatever and whenever and you cant be insecure? or do you disagree. Personally i just think this is kind of an interesting topic i always thought about.
It's an odd situation where you're both right. Sort of. But you're more right than he is.

Ideally, it's nice to have a personal style and be confident about it, not falling for every fad.

But you're completely right that clothes convey a lot of things - respect for others, your sense of appropriateness, your social awareness, your status. Anyone who thinks he's being "cool" by ignoring that is a fool.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:59 AM

19,712 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Du rags are perfectly normal and fine, but I do draw the line at pajamas in public.

Having confidence is important, but wearing pajamas in public is just dirty. Loungewear is fine, if it's clean, but don't be rolling out of bed without washing or changing your clothing. No amount of confidence will keep you from smelling bad.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:09 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
It depends. Hulk Hogan wears du rags in public. Google some of his pictures. They are custom-made, stylish, often matching his blazer/pants. He has a good look. Now, the 3-pack that you can buy at Walmart for $2.99 are not that fashionable.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:04 PM

13 posts, read 14,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
It depends. Hulk Hogan wears du rags in public. Google some of his pictures. They are custom-made, stylish, often matching his blazer/pants. He has a good look. Now, the 3-pack that you can buy at Walmart for $2.99 are not that fashionable.
Hogan wears Bandanas not du rags. Bandanas are supposed to be more stylish.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:48 AM

19,712 posts, read 20,244,680 times
And for the record....Hulk Hogan does not have a "good look". lol

Old 02-02-2021, 11:09 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I agree that yes, have confidence, however, I won't wear certain things that I think are tacky no matter how much confidence I have. I think each person's personal opinions about each style/article of clothing supercedes whether a person wears it or not no matter how much confidence a person has. We have to 1st LIKE what we wear that determines if we wear it & then if we wear it, WHERE do we wear it?

Also, pretty much all workplaces have a certain dress code so you can't just wear anything to work no matter how much confience you have. Specifically regarding du rags & pajama pants in public, I'd never wear either out in public in a million yrs. At home, I'll wear PJ pants & even then, rarely because I don't get that cold & live in Southern California, but I've never worn a du rag EVER because I just don't like the look.

Here's an example:

I've taken a liking to those style of pants called drop-crotch pants aka harem pants. Certain types look better than others.

Are they comfortable? EXTREMELY YES!
Are they flattering? Most will probably say NO.
Would I ever wear them to work? NO.
Would I wear them on a free day on my own time? DEFINITELY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty