Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 05:30 AM

355 posts, read 226,082 times

Advertisements

It depends. After teaching for 35 years, my Dad's "office" coat was quite worn, but he had a formal coat for more black tie events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 06:54 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
I get what you are saying OP. As long as your work wardrobe is appropriate for the type of office you are in, and you keep everything clean, crisp, and fresh looking at work, you're good. If you're looking to promote at work, dress for the job you'd like to have.

There's nothing wrong in saving your very best stuff for date nights, special occasions like weddings and Valentine's Day, or occasions where you want to dress to impress. After a few such occasions, your best stuff might even get demoted to work wear, and then you get new "nice stuff". It's not like you want to wear an Armani suit and a Rolex to work, unless you work in a very high rolling office!

Old 02-04-2021, 10:42 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Some have made a good point, that some nicer stuff is a little "flashy" for a lot of work environments.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:11 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
I have a professional job but my office is in a factory and I spend time walking around on the shop floor. Everyone there wears jeans and t-shirts to work. The only time we dress up to the nines is when corporate is visiting since they all dress super formally. We do dress in business casual on the rare occasion a customer comes in to visit. The minute you go in there, you are going to end up dirty if you spend any time on the floor so no sense in wearing expensive or nice clothes in there. The employees also love the very casual environment.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:15 AM

6,454 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I have a professional job but my office is in a factory and I spend time walking around on the shop floor. Everyone there wears jeans and t-shirts to work. The only time we dress up to the nines is when corporate is visiting since they all dress super formally. We do dress in business casual on the rare occasion a customer comes in to visit. The minute you go in there, you are going to end up dirty if you spend any time on the floor so no sense in wearing expensive or nice clothes in there. The employees also love the very casual environment.
I agree.......similar to the situation that I had, off and on, in my 37 years in the "manufacturing sector".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty