Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 12:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times

Advertisements

I tend to wear my nicer and even more expensive clothing when I'm away from the office. Is this pretty normal or not so much? I just don't like spending money on dress shirts, nice pants, and expensive belts if I'm going to be wearing them into the office everyday since I want to keep those items looking fresh and sharp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 01:33 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I don't think what you do is all that unusual. Now....if there was someone in the office you were trying to impress...maybe you'd want to wear your nicer things, and that'd be alright too.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:24 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Well it's like dress shirts. Why buy an expensive dress shirt if you're going to wear it at least once a week, every week for the next year. If I'm going to drop money on a very expensive dress shirt I'll keep in in my closet for a somewhat special occasion.

Just like dress shoes. I want to keep my good leather dress shoes looking like new, hence I'll wear something a little cheaper and more durable in the office. Same thing with my nice high quality leather belt.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:31 PM

I find nothing wrong at all, with your logic.

Back in the day, we had our "Sunday Best" that came out once a week, so I get where you're coming from.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:33 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
In regular times, I tend to dress according to who I'll be interacting with. A day with no meetings where I'd just be working in the office? That's jeans and flats. A day when I have a meeting with leadership or faculty, then I wear more business appropriate clothes. Not wearing your good clothes to work is a bit odd--what do you have dress clothes for, then?

Old 02-02-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In regular times, I tend to dress according to who I'll be interacting with. A day with no meetings where I'd just be working in the office? That's jeans and flats. A day when I have a meeting with leadership or faculty, then I wear more business appropriate clothes. Not wearing your good clothes to work is a bit odd--what do you have dress clothes for, then?
Dates? Interviews? Weddings? Holidays?

Old 02-02-2021, 02:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
You do you.

I liked having better quality clothing to wear to work. For one thing, the better quality clothes held up and looked nice longer than cheaper clothing did. Cheap clothing does not wash or dry clean as well as better quality clothing.

If no one cares how you look at work, then I get why you don’t care either. But just be sure that your clothing choices are not reflective of the value you put, or don’t put, on your job.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:01 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Dates? Interviews? Weddings? Holidays?
Maybe this is just semantics, but I have "good" (not necessarily cheaper) clothes to wear to work, and I have "better" outfits to wear for special occasions.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe this is just semantics, but I have "good" (not necessarily cheaper) clothes to wear to work, and I have "better" outfits to wear for special occasions.

Well...that's how I took it I think. That he has decent clothes that he wears to work, but he has nicer, more expensive things he wears for more special occasions.

But maybe we are talking semantics. You and I don't disagree too often. LOL

Old 02-02-2021, 05:34 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
depends on what the dress code is at work. Admittedly it's pretty casual for most people now (and I mean when most people still routinely went into the office to work). When I started working, I was expected to wear a suit or a professional dress, hosiery, and heels every day. Then we started with Casual Fridays and it kept going from there. I'm not complaining about that but I do buy a different wardrobe of work clothes now than I did back in the day. Back then, the nice clothes were primarily purchased to wear at work. Clothing for special occasions outside of work is not generally work appropriate, although perhaps that more so for women than men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty