Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 AM

9,426 posts, read 5,180,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I used to watch Project Runway with my daughter (she was a huge fan) and Tim Gunn was the only expert who made sense to me. I loved his style, his common sense approach to fashion and he was always helpful to the wanna be designers. Now that my daughter is living on her own I haven't watched the show - not sure if it's still on - but if it is I would watch it just for Tim Gunn : )
I don't think it is on anymore....if it is, I don't get it because I don't get cable.

He also used to say, look in the mirror before you go out....turn around....do you look good? Very common sense advice.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 11:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,808,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Oh girl, most of us want long legs! Designers build clothes for women with long legs!
LOL that may be true but I'm still sick to death of short, little tight jackets that really look silly on me!

Old 02-11-2021, 11:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,808,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I love those short little jackets (fellow Amazon here). The ones that I kept around from the last time 'round are still stylish as are my longer vintage velvet blazers. I style them in different ways and often receive compliments when wearing them.

It's one of the advantages of clothing styles for grown ups not changing overmuch since the late nineties-early 2000s.

As far as jeans are concerned, it's difficult enough for me to find ones that have a long enough inseam (and don't gap at the waistline), so I don't really worry overmuch about whether or not my close-fitting straight and bootcut jeans are still stylish enough to be worn in public.
Clearly different styles look better or worse on different people. If you like short little jackets, that's great - I am all for you being able to find them and buy them. However, they do NOT look good on me so I don't want to find them and buy them, and I certainly don't want them to be all that's available. That's my gripe.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:20 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,554,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Clearly different styles look better or worse on different people. If you like short little jackets, that's great - I am all for you being able to find them and buy them. However, they do NOT look good on me so I don't want to find them and buy them, and I certainly don't want them to be all that's available. That's my gripe.
Ah. Good thing that longer blazers are back in style, too. I'm seeing both short and long jackets in stores, online, and in magazines so they're definitely a thing.

I'm also seeing skinny(ish) jeans on the same sites that are selling the newer, baggier jeans--they're just being styled a bit differently now. As a typical Gen-Xer, my reaction to what TikTok and Gen-Z thinks of clothes is "whatever." Besides, they're wearing *my* clothes--only most of theirs aren't nearly as well made as mine were back when they were current the first time 'round.

What's nice about current fashions as there's a broad range of what's considered to be stylish, so each individual can choose to wear what suits them best.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:26 PM

1,299 posts, read 821,734 times
Quote:
What I want to know is this - when will men's suits stop being made to look like last year's Easter suit on a preteen boy? BRING BACK CARY GRANT SUITS!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the laugh! I so agree with you!

Being a hockey fan, I cringe when they show the players walking into the arena these days. They're insanely fit young men and they look silly in suits that don't have quite enough fabric.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,002,279 times
Quote:
I never see short little jackets in stores. Everything seems to be long these days. Most of my coats, jackets, and sweaters go down to at least mid thigh I'm 5'7, so it's not like these are clothes that are made to be shorter and just don't fit correctly.

Or maybe I'm just picturing something different then what you're talking about. Are you wanting everything to be at least knee length? When I hear "short little jacket" I picture a shrug or cropped jacket that was popular in the early 2000s.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,427,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As long as they are not gangster baggy I could care less.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/skin...200550960.html
Don't see many people leaving their fitted jeans for floppy fabric around their ankles any time soon.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:49 PM

21 posts, read 60,689 times
I sure hope so!

Old 02-11-2021, 10:54 PM

15,858 posts, read 21,418,487 times
Skinny jeans are what pushed me to wearing skirts and dresses almost all of the time, so I'd love something a bit baggier (but not too shapeless!).

Generation Z will absolutely *not* bully me into center parting my hair, though.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:06 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,547,356 times
In France, the hot trend for Spring and Summer is baggy, high waisted jeans.

Anyone interested in classic French style should subscribe to Marie-Anne Lecoeur's youtube channel. She is in her mid fifties and not too trendy or too young regarding fashions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5fHTfKIxvM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty