Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2021, 02:23 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

As long as they are not gangster baggy I could care less.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/skin...200550960.html

Quote:
The negativity toward the trend of skintight denim isn’t new to the short form video app, as its young users have been encouraging people to get rid of their skinny jeans in favor of baggy jeans since the summer of 2020. More recently, however, older generations have been fighting back.

The hostility seemingly began when one user, who goes by momokhd, instructed viewers to throw out their skinny jeans, to burn them or to cut them up to create something entirely new. “Skinny jeans just aren’t for me but to each their own,” she captioned the video. And while not everybody followed suit, the conversation around skinny jeans being a thing of the past certainly caught on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 05:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Lee Rider Boot Cut Jeans

Old 02-10-2021, 05:51 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As long as they are not gangster baggy I could care less.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/skin...200550960.html
This was fun to watch. Some of the "older" ladies were very entertaining. Thanks for the post.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
What I want to know is this - when will men's suits stop being made to look like last year's Easter suit on a preteen boy? BRING BACK CARY GRANT SUITS!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2021, 06:01 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
At least none of the jeans pictured look like the overpriced rags that I see everyone wearing around here. I didn't like ripped/torn jeans the first time 'round--adding more tears to the point that the jeans are barely held together by the remaining strips of denim doesn't make the style any better.

That being said, I remember jeans that were baggier from the last time around, too.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:10 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
My daughter and I were rather surprised last year when my grandaughters were buying/wearing these high-waisted, baggy jeans that didn't reach the ankles. All I could think was.. holy crap... that is EVERYTHING we avoided like the plague when I was a teenager!

And Amen! on the suits Kathryn!

Old 02-10-2021, 08:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's all part of a plot by the manufacturers to make sure you are having to buy new jeans. With their durability, you could buy a few and keep wearing them for 10+ years without a problem, but that would devastate them economically. Before my time in the late 1800s they were strictly used as work pants, for people in construction and mining. Later in the 1950s they became fashionable very loose, too long and rolled up at the bottom. Then when I was a teen (1960s) it was the light blue stretch Levis. Later that decade and into the 70s the hippy movement made it popular to decorate them with colorful patches and even embroidery, then wide flared bottoms and hip huggers became popular. Then in the 80s the "Daisy Dukes" cutoffs became popular, which still are today to a certain extent, along with the worn/torn look. The worst to me was the 90s when some favored really baggy jeans, falling off, and exposing their underwear or even their crack. Now we have the skinny jeans, grandpa jeans, and even more of the torn jeans. Those that keep up with the latest fashions have to buy new jeans often, but I read recently that the yoga pants trend for women has hurt the jeans industry significantly.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:42 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Levi’s skinny jeans, the 311 and 711’s are cut comfy, although they have more than ample room in the rear. A trend that should go away is the high waisted, shorter length grandpa jeans. A recent picture of Tom Cruise’s ex, Katie Holmes, showed her out and about in New York wearing a pair. They looked awful, Katie is a pretty lady, there is no reason for someone like her to wear such unflattering jeans. Those grandpa jeans would awful on anyone.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:04 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Mom jeans are what are in style. I personally like them as long as they aren't 100% cotton.

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/prod...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like them because they look so good with Manolos or my Golden Goose.

FWIW Cary Grant's suits always looked so good because they were custom made and hand stitched for him. A gorilla would have looked good in those suits. A little trivia, Cary Grant always wore his own clothes in his movies because his stuff was far superior to the wardrobes the studios offered.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:04 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, I can tell you that for men with a full complement of manly equipment, those skin tight pants are terribly uncomfortable. I had to put with that nonsense back in the 70s and I'm not going to put up with it again. Maybe if you're a modern millennial hipster with etiolated little legs like pipe cleaners, but if you ever actually use your body for any kind of strenuous activity and build some thigh muscles, plus your man bits, there just isn't enough space there, flannel shirt and bushy beard notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty