U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 02:18 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,499,799 times

Advertisements

I like Eileen Fisher, Ralph Lauren and Chicos. Tod's and Ferragamo shoes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 02:19 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,499,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Where do you find upscale resale?
Try shopgoodwill.com and look for NWT items.

Found some wonderful items there. Competitive and based on an auction (ebay) format.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:51 PM

21,273 posts, read 8,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Where do you find upscale resale?
Consignment resale shops. In Austin, there are several of them.

We also have thrift stores like Savers, Goodwill and Salvation Army, and you can sometimes find gems, but consignment resale or other places where they PAY the owner for the clothing usually has a really nice selection of high quality gently worn stuff.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:17 PM
KCZ

2,847 posts, read 1,683,149 times
Macy's, Dillard's, and LL Bean.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:10 PM

2,153 posts, read 970,613 times
I have a similar style for work, for the most part... stylish sophisticated. Good suggestions here.

I've traveled extensively for a few years all across the country & also found that neighborhood brick & mortars vastly differ, depending on 'hood.

For example, some DSW's are filled with mostly screaming high heels, many gold/silver/flashy for younger women going out at night... & others focus on flat, comfort shoes. Depends on the vast majority of their local customers. I used to drive my mum to the W. Roxbury location when I lived in Boston... their customers were mostly older women who wanted comfort, flat shoes with ties or sturdy, canvas sandals... mostly brown or beige. You were hard pressed to find more than that in-store. I shopped at the downtown location for more colorful or trendy heeled boots/shoes or flats.

I've found great, sophisticated pieces at Ross & even Goodwill (as someone else mentioned) in Rancho Mirage/Palm Springs, CA or stores on the outskirts of Phoenix, AZ, when traveling. Those Goodwill's or 2nd hand shops might have $120-300 tea sets or a vintage $80 typewritter or designer suits/pieces that have rarely been worn for $30-40. When I lived in downtown San Diego, some Ross stores focused on trendy clothing for young women & others had more casual, athletic clothing, where the store was filled with stay-at-home moms & their baby carriages... depends on area.

And, during Covid, I don't know how stores are operating today, but prior to the lockdown, I've found wonderful, classic Calvin Klein pieces at Saks Fifth Ave or Neiman Marcus' clearance racks... not the discount/outlet stores, but the stand-alone locations. Many don't even know they exist... they used to be relegated to the 2nd floor, way in the back of the stores, often near prom/wedding dresses. I've bought $280 silk Anne Klein/Geoffrey Beane blouses for $20 or Calvin Klein, wool trousers for $15 & even a funky suede, Norma Kamali dress for $5... it was orange, but at that price, I bought it & hand dyed it darker to wear out at night. If you're an extra small size (0-4), the bargains are greater.

Now, during Covid... a lot of the stores I've visited from high-low end (Nordstrom's to Walmart) are slim pickens, so it might be awhile before that's straightened out.

Lastly, I wanted to mention Amazon. I used to buy ace products on Amazon... since 1995, never had a return. Now, a lot of their products are supplied by Chinese suppliers or US middle-men via the Asian market, some who obviously lie about condition/designer knock offs. Recently, I've had to return a handful of products. The bistro table/chair set was obviously used & returned (the bubble wrap was taped back together & filled with dust)... drilled holes to put it together didn't match up. They not only gave me a full refund but told me to keep the product cuz for the middle-man it was too pricey to return it (it might have been dropped shipped, as well), but... it was like pulling teeth to get a refund of my $250, including having to mail multiple pics. They also kept offering me discounts.., we'll take off 20% if you drill the holes yourself... no, okay, well, we'll now give you 30% off. Mother of Valhalla... it wasn't worth the 12 emails back & forth to finally get a refund.

But, I've actually had the same issue with clothing... bought high end bras on Amazon that were obviously worn & returned... stretched out, deoderant stains... yikes! They also were obviously not from the designer they claimed, but a knock off... the tag was a "reasonable facsimile thereof", sewn on the wrong side of the bra. Yeah, they took it back, but it took weeks & many emails to get a refund. They even issued a gift card rather than refund my Visa... so wasted further time for me... I finally had to make a phone call to Amazon (customer service in India) which took 20-30 min to get my CC refund. Why should I have to go through this?

Unsure if others have experienced the same, but I've returned face masks (irregular), organic vitamins (knock offs & expired, obvious by the bottle label) & on & on. So, no more Amazon.

If you're not buying directly from the manufacturer, be prepared for a return & a waste of your valuable time for copious emails back & forth with those who barely speak English, presenting your case for return. It's far too frustrating.

Lastly, I've never been to an H&M, but hear good things about them... again, pre-Covid.

Good luck. You've got lots of good suggestions above.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:42 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,917,638 times
Youtube shows videos dumpster diving to resell on Amazon Ebay.
Search listings.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+resell+amazon

www.zara.com/us/
https://www2.hm.com/en_us/women/seas.../neutrals.html

Last edited by Nerys52SoSilver; 04-22-2021 at 01:12 AM..

Old 04-22-2021, 06:22 AM

3,456 posts, read 1,230,070 times
I love Tim Gunn from his Project Runway days.....and many fashion gurus have suggestions for a base/simple wardrobe.

At one of my workplaces, we used to ask "what are you wearing tomorrow?" and the answer was always 'black pants and a shirt.' I am not a fashionista but I like to look nice when I need to. LOL.
Check this out - might help.

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/t...on-advice.html

Old 04-22-2021, 06:51 AM

139 posts, read 103,310 times
Halsbrook is a nicely curated clothing website but can be pricey. Worth a look for some classic styles.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:37 PM

5,848 posts, read 10,772,516 times
Eileen Fisher?

https://www.eileenfisher.com/

Quality, non-fussy, simplicity, natural fibers, mix and match...

Old 04-22-2021, 03:57 PM

12,768 posts, read 3,916,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I discovered Saint and Sofia and have a few nice pieces from them. Otherwise I rely on (and am a bit bored by) Loft, Banana, Gap, Boden (check out their dresses if you haven't).
I think out of all of these, Boden beats them on in terms of quality. I used to buy Mini Boden for my kids a lot when they were small. The quality was amazing. They looked like new after many washes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty