Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 07:47 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
It really depends on what the day has on the schedule. If they're in court, then it will be suits in subdued colors and tailored but conservative cuts/hemlines. It's a little looser if they're in the office and meeting with clients. If they're just doing work in their office and no client meetings schedule, they'll keep a blazer around just in case, but generally nice trousers or a skirt and a blouse.

As for what the wardrobe department on a TV show thinks a woman lawyer wears, they aren't dealing with reality so why dress for it?
This. TV is, first and foremost, entertainment. It's surprising how many people forget that, and mistake sit-coms and drama series for documentaries about real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 09:45 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,404 times
So I worked in one of those law firms for a couple years. There was a distinct difference between the courtroom attorneys and the corporate attorneys. The courtroom attorneys (i.e. litigation associates) did dress in very nice clothes. I saw one person up above say that they wear "designer" clothes; that's not really true- most wore bespoke suits made by well-regarded local tailors. "Designer" suits don't fit well without lots of alterations.

We did sometimes have tailors come to the office to do measurements and the suits were anywhere from $2k-$5k each, though you could get 2 or three suits for not much more. I want to say something like 3 of the lower-end suits for $4k or $5k. There were some less well known tailors who would make suits in the $800 range or so as well; this was Manhattan about 10 years ago.

All that said, the corporate attorneys wore business casual. Many with a sport coat but many just a dress shirt and slacks. You're just spending 12-15 hours in an office pushing paper so no point in dressing nice unless you're seeing a client, which is extremely rare since large corporate clients tend not to do anything in person.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:55 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I saw one person up above say that they wear "designer" clothes; that's not really true- most wore bespoke suits made by well-regarded local tailors. "Designer" suits don't fit well without lots of alterations.
I was referring to the women, since that seemed to be what the OP was asking specifically about.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:11 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
In other shows set in fancy offices, the women, at least, wear subdued 3 piece suits, but in the show "Suits" the women dress like they're on a high fashion runway.

I actually don't know, having never worked in a fancy corporate setting. Do women really dress like they do in "Suits"? Some of those crazy dresses made me laugh, but it is fun to see.

I watch it to ogle Harvey in his bespoke incredibly-fitting suits....

TV is not real life.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/sa...s-code-2164257

Old 04-26-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well the link presents what is "acceptable," but not necessarily what's the norm in a high-level NYC firm.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:44 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Really? Wow, thanks for that newsflash.

I've been around enough lawyers to know there's nothing realistic about that show (like that any of them give a dam) but I was just commenting on the women's over-the-top seductive outfits, bare arms and backs, runway-looking clothes. Wondering if that is typical for "professional" women.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
So I worked in one of those law firms for a couple years. There was a distinct difference between the courtroom attorneys and the corporate attorneys. The courtroom attorneys (i.e. litigation associates) did dress in very nice clothes. I saw one person up above say that they wear "designer" clothes; that's not really true- most wore bespoke suits made by well-regarded local tailors. "Designer" suits don't fit well without lots of alterations.

We did sometimes have tailors come to the office to do measurements and the suits were anywhere from $2k-$5k each, though you could get 2 or three suits for not much more. I want to say something like 3 of the lower-end suits for $4k or $5k. There were some less well known tailors who would make suits in the $800 range or so as well; this was Manhattan about 10 years ago.

All that said, the corporate attorneys wore business casual. Many with a sport coat but many just a dress shirt and slacks. You're just spending 12-15 hours in an office pushing paper so no point in dressing nice unless you're seeing a client, which is extremely rare since large corporate clients tend not to do anything in person.
Real world experience---that is interesting. No wonder attorneys have to charge so much.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ok, you guys all need to go watch 'Suits'.
It's a fun show with some entertaining wordplay, and totally unrealistic storylines, lol.

BUT the women in the show often dress seductively, cleavage, legs, and other assets are on display on the job. I think Sand&Salt is asking if high powered female professionals ever actually look like they're dressed as much for the bedroom as for the boardroom in real life?
https://wornontv.net/suits/jessica-pearson/page/2/
Yeah you guys, lol! You nailed it DubbleT, somebody gets what I was asking.

Must say, that Harvey can wear a suit like nobody's business. (not you, "nobody's business" )

Old 04-26-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah you guys, lol! You nailed it DubbleT, somebody gets what I was asking.

Must say, that Harvey can wear a suit like nobody's business. (not you, "nobody's business" )
None of the examples in DubbleT's link seem out of line with what one might see from high paid female attorneys in NYC. They aren't particularly seductive. Maybe I'm missing something?

Old 04-26-2021, 04:09 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Three piece suit refers to pants (or skirt), vest, and jacket. Shirts and blouses aren't a part of a three piece suit. Women rarely wear a 3 pc.
I read that as "they wear a 3 piece suit and also a coordinating shirt."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ok, you guys all need to go watch 'Suits'.
It's a fun show with some entertaining wordplay, and totally unrealistic storylines, lol.

BUT the women in the show often dress seductively, cleavage, legs, and other assets are on display on the job. I think Sand&Salt is asking if high powered female professionals ever actually look like they're dressed as much for the bedroom as for the boardroom in real life?
https://wornontv.net/suits/jessica-pearson/page/2/
Eh, it's TV, and TV lawyers. There was also a lot of to-do back when Ally McBeal was on the air, because OMG a real lawyer wouldn't wear skirts that short in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty