Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Birkenstocks on men?
Yes 20 34.48%
No 38 65.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 12:22 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times

Advertisements

Flip flops are usually terrible for your feet unless they are high end ones. I’m from Florida originally, so sandals are common. I see men wearing hiking sandals or more supportive sandals like Birkenstocks more often. I hate sandals with socks. My mom’s feet get really hot and recently she’s broken down and worn sandals with socks, even though she’s generally opposed to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 12:34 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
I like those, thanks! Hard to find decent guy slide sandals that are not flip flops.
Glad to help! Check out the Mayari too.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:58 PM

23,281 posts, read 18,810,120 times
IMHO, whether they look good on someone or not has nothing to do with gender. What matters more to me is the situation when they are being worn. Is it a black tie affair or strolling on the boardwalk? A corporate office or Saturday shopping? When Birkenstocks first became a thing, someone wearing them gave the impression they were conscientious about taking good care of their feet and that defying fashion convention didn't bother them. I suspect most people who wear them (either gender) still do so because they refuse to wear crippling "fashion" footwear whenever they can get away with it. There will always be some segment of the population that selects a wardrobe based only on what the fashionista herd is doing at the moment instead of what works best for them (functionally or stylistically). Looking good isn't the point unless you are trying to brag that you have the $ to buy their more expensive styles instead of Kmart flipflops.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-27-2021 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-27-2021, 02:30 PM

396 posts, read 417,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
DH was a faithful wearer of them for decades. I had to set aside my dislike of them when we met. But that was mainly because he would wear socks when it was cold. I hated that look! So goofy!

Now he wears the non-leather version but no more socks for either of us, here in the tropics. I don't notice them anymore; they look fine.
What is a DH? Designated hitter?

Old 04-27-2021, 02:52 PM

433 posts, read 532,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO, whether they look good on someone or not has nothing to do with gender. What matters more to me is the situation when they are being worn. Is it a black tie affair or strolling on the boardwalk? A corporate office or Saturday shopping? When Birkenstocks first became a thing, someone wearing them gave the impression they were conscientious about taking good care of their feet and that defying fashion convention didn't bother them. I suspect most people who wear them (either gender) still do so because they refuse to wear crippling "fashion" footwear whenever they can get away with it. There will always be some segment of the population that selects a wardrobe based only on what the fashionista herd is doing at the moment instead of what works best for them (functionally or stylistically). Looking good isn't the point unless you are trying to brag that you have the $ to buy their more expensive styles instead of Kmart flipflops.
Thank you, Thank you. I have foot problems--Busted toenail(s) as a result of Toe Nail Fungus. The more air I can get to my nails (and the less pressure on them) the better. My choice is (are?) Chacos or Teva Sandals.

https://welltraveledmile.com/chacos-...iking-sandals/

YMMV

Old 04-27-2021, 03:36 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
It depends on who's wearing them and how. Some guys in Birkenstocks can look unbearably dorky, but others look fine in them--it fits with their style.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:01 PM

829 posts, read 629,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
What is a DH? Designated hitter?
DH is Darling Husband .... DW is Darling Wife, DD is Darling Daughter, and so on.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:07 PM

829 posts, read 629,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
For what it's worth, Birkenstock sandals are among the footwear my podiatrist recommends. He said a lot of people, including himself, resisted wearing them because many are ugly. He had no idea some of the cool patterns available and revised his opinion. In years past, they did have a bohemian or "crunchy" (as one co-worker called it) look or vibe. My feet like them and that's important to me at this point in life. I look back and wonder why why why I wore those 3-4 inch heels. The balls of my feet are exacting their revenge at this point in my life - they apparently believe revenge is a dish best served cold.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:30 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
DH is Darling Husband .... DW is Darling Wife, DD is Darling Daughter, and so on.
Its usually "dear" but doesn't matter.

How old are you, OP. My college age sons wear them...its like a trend. Beyond that age its a definite no.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Dear God why don't you just put on a pair of manpris with your Jesus cruisers and give up at life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty