Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 11:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times

Advertisements

Get one of those men’s hair clippers. Then get a lady friend to shave your hair for you.

Mr Star has one of those, and I shave his hair off for him. Number 2 blade he has, or something…

I also shave his beard with it, as it has a comb thing with it. Apart from the initial cost, he gets a haircut and beard trim from me for £0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 04:43 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
I trim my beard myself. $19.99 +tax (8%)"hair clippers"...spread over 52 weeks/yr..over, gee, about a decade..!?!?

(Double that..just got a second pair of 19.99+8%tax..still doesn't cost a fortune...

Hair cuts? Well $6/cut over a annual quarter ^ to a $8, then ^ $10, ^$12 now a whopping$18/cut (gasp!!)

For nothing different (a decade later!)
But..they had to go from $12 to$18 in six mos, you know, because they were closed for 5 mos due to ...
(Hey I lost income too.. where do I get make up money??)

So, I'll continue to trim my beard myself with spunky new beard clippers, but will stretch my haircut to 6 mos now..so there! Take THAT! COST CUTTERS!!

THANks for letting me get that off my chest...gee, do I trim my chest hair??...

(?)

Old 05-13-2021, 09:03 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I trim my beard myself. $19.99 +tax (8%)"hair clippers"...spread over 52 weeks/yr..over, gee, about a decade..!?!?

(Double that..just got a second pair of 19.99+8%tax..still doesn't cost a fortune...

Hair cuts? Well $6/cut over a annual quarter ^ to a $8, then ^ $10, ^$12 now a whopping$18/cut (gasp!!)

For nothing different (a decade later!)
But..they had to go from $12 to$18 in six mos, you know, because they were closed for 5 mos due to ...
(Hey I lost income too.. where do I get make up money??)

So, I'll continue to trim my beard myself with spunky new beard clippers, but will stretch my haircut to 6 mos now..so there! Take THAT! COST CUTTERS!!

THANks for letting me get that off my chest...gee, do I trim my chest hair??...

(?)
Do you trim your chest hair with it? I think you do, don’t you?…

Old 05-28-2021, 03:27 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
Oh, let me preface this by saying I dont have a wife or girlfriend. I'm looking for one, but they are extremely hard to find these days. Some of Youse bragging your wife cuts your hair for free, I'm just trying to give you a Tale from the other side. Feel free to Flowbee your own head, if money's tight.

Got tired of receiving decreasing service from $14 Supercuts, so I struck out on a Quest to find something new.

Couple years back I tried searching for "the cheapest option" I found a place that used what I perceived to be Russian immigrant/slave labor, they charged $6 for a mens haircut, from grim-faced women who grunted a few phrases in English and looked like they'd rather be swilling vodka than cutting your hair. From start to finish, the goal was to be done in 10 minutes, and I felt you get what you pay for.

At the high-end, in Southern California we had these "Gourmet Barbershop" places popping up (in 2019) which catered to Hipsters & Posers. If you got an epic beard, and you want a Drop Fade, and you want somebody to give you that Dirty Hippie / Trust-fund Baby / Wannabe Actor / Man Bun this place wants you as a customer. You will get "authentic" tattooed old cholo gangster or a guy better looking than you, or a girl with more tattoos than you, give you the kind of haircut thats worthy of an Instagram Post, with a price to match. They definitely do shaves + beard trims at places like this, but most "haircut" places dont touch beards. But if your neighbor paid $65, I would bet its one of these luxury places.

Truthfully, I would never/have never let someone cut my beard... I consider it far too intimate, almost-pseudo-sexual kind of act. Like a woman getting a Brazilian wax.

What I ended up settling on was a mid (high?) tier mens place which is definitely playing a game blurring the lines with ideas from places like "Hooters: (orange short-shorts and tank-tops) and "Tilted Kilt: (red plaid skirt Catholic Schoolgirls)" who absolutely fawn over their exclusively male clientiele. There are flat screen TVs at every station so you can tune to ESPN or Nascar or B-ball, they do the Hardsell of shampoo / shoulder / neck / scalp massage, hot towels on your face, the employees who work there are exclusively young, cute, and female and most are drool-worthy in their standardized uniforms - there's no way that's entirely Random, much like "Pan Am Airline Stewardess"^H^H^H excuse me, 'Flight Attendants' back in the 60s and 70s were like one-step-below-Models. The Owner/hiring Manager knows exactly what he or she is doing. This is Not a strip-club, just like Hooters is not a strip-club, but there are phantom echos of the experience when you go here. If they just served beer, I might come by way too often.

T L D R - best haircuts I've ever gotten in my life, totally worth $32 but $5 tip if I dont like my girl that day, $20 if I really do. I have platonic female friends which tell me their haircuts are $80 with $60 tip, they have paid as much as $200 for a haircut which I say Dang it really is cheaper to be a man when you consider the (pre-Pandemic) cost of fashion, clothes, haircut + color, personal grooming and makeup.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:13 AM

52 posts, read 26,305 times
I stopped going to the barbers over 20 years ago.

My current hair clipper is almost ten years old, is still going strong and only cost me around $15. A sound investment.

Old 05-30-2021, 06:13 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,986 times
$15-$25, depending on where I get it. A receding hairline makes haircuts quick and easy, so I don't need to go to a super-expensive place for a buzz cut.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:35 AM

5,518 posts, read 7,107,963 times
After reading these replies I feel I need to up my tip.
My haircuts at the barber are $20 and I tip $5.00. Is that too cheap?
He does a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty