Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2021, 09:57 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But they weren't concerned with projecting masculinity. They were more concerned about projecting wealth.
But for many at the time, it was the same thing. The men in wigs and lace didn't think that they *weren't* manly.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:59 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
But they weren't concerned with projecting masculinity. They were more concerned about projecting wealth.
They weren't concerned because that look wasn't associated with being feminine, that's an attitude we as a society have changed. And we can just as easily change it again.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:08 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
They weren't concerned because that look wasn't associated with being feminine, that's an attitude we as a society have changed. And we can just as easily change it again.
They weren't concerned about gender standards, but it didn't last long. The pendulum swung in the opposite direction. I don't see that sort of rejection of gender appearances being widely accepted today ESPECIALLY with the current societal climate. IMO, it's not even worth discussing, because it's not going to happen anytime soon. Likely not in our lifetime. The ones who do toss aside gender standards (Billy Porter was mentioned earlier) are the outliers. I ADORE BP, but he will never be fully accepted.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:14 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I don't know if it will happen in my lifetime, I AM getting older, but talking to my adult children and many of their friends, along with the young people at work, I don't think it's that far off either. They have a much different POV and a willingness to accept such things that most people from older generations don't seem to consider possible.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:23 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
You act like that has changed. People still dress to display wealth. They felt TOTALLY masculine, because clothes are merely social constructs, and during that time the men wore this.

It's like saying back then the men didn't care about getting laid, which has never happened from time immemorial. lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-15-2021, 10:29 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
They weren't concerned about gender standards, but it didn't last long. The pendulum swung in the opposite direction. I don't see that sort of rejection of gender appearances being widely accepted today ESPECIALLY with the current societal climate. IMO, it's not even worth discussing, because it's not going to happen anytime soon. Likely not in our lifetime. The ones who do toss aside gender standards (Billy Porter was mentioned earlier) are the outliers. I ADORE BP, but he will never be fully accepted.
It lasted thousands of years in one form or another. The majority of men in Rome wore belted tunics (short dresses) and sandals. Men wore what are essentially leggings (showing your calf muscles was the height of manliness) during the 1500s or so. Ancient Egypt, Greece, etc.

The current configuration of clothes for men, is a mere punctuation mark, in the long paragraph of human history.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-15-2021, 10:34 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
If you want to wear a dress, just do it. But don't bring all of us into this.

Ita! I don’t understand why somebody would want to eliminate gender specific clothing...when they can just wear what they want to wear without telling somebody else what we should be wearing.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:44 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
I don't think the OP has been back to comment. I wasn't sure if the topic was about feminine vs masculine clothing or if it was about all clothing being sold in a block as in one big "Clothing Department" with no distinguishing factors. I guess we all took the topic in whatever direction we wanted to.

OP if you're checking in, why don't you give us some more of your thoughts? The topic has garnered lots of posts so come on back and join in!

Old 05-15-2021, 11:44 AM

20,646 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
This map is hilarious and so very true. My mom used to "park" my father on a bench with an ice cream sundae while she went shopping - she didn't drive so she needed him to take her there. He got to sit and watch all the pretty women pass by. Good marriage that lasted over fifty years until he died.

FYI, this map left off the real important detail.

Man & Woman go the Gap to buy a pair of pants.

Man: Takes 6 minutes to go to GAP and buys a pair for $33.

Woman: Takes 3 hours 26 minutes and spends $876. But she never buys the pants.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:59 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

Man: Takes 6 minutes to go to GAP and buys a pair for $33.

Woman: Takes 3 hours 26 minutes and spends $876. But she never buys the pants.

This.^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty