Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 12:50 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,093,108 times

Advertisements

I've been watching some old "home movies" from when I had my daughter 21 years ago and my son 2 years later. Although my face looks younger, boy did I not "care" back then!! I looked like a hot mess most of the time - I had gained weight and was dressing terribly!!!
I think I look much better now - perhaps not up close with a magnifying glass - but I know what types of clothing flatters my figure and I put effort into my hair looking good. I don't do it for "men" (I have a boyfriend who's 10 years younger than me) but more just to put it "out there" into the world.
My hair is quite long now and I joke with my friends that if I have a ponytail, and I"m wearing my large sunglasses and mask (covid) - I could pass for a 20 year old
Oh - and I"d really actually like to look like J-lo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 01:17 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,374,341 times
Looking good isn't the province of 'young people'. My mom still looks DAMN GOOD at 72. She dresses impeccably too.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:21 PM

21,742 posts, read 9,300,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know what - this reminds me of a conversation I had with my mom, who unfortunately developed dementia. I said, "Mom, you HAVE to wear your glasses in order to see well enough to do just about anything!" and she said to me, totally seriously, "I hate wearing my glasses. They make me look older."

OK, this was an old lady. I mean, she clearly already "looked older." But what I think she meant was that when she put on her glasses, SHE could see that she "looked older." Lord have mercy!

I remember one of the many times, but the first significant time, I was prescribed glasses and they came in. I put them on and immediately said to the tech, "Oh my gosh. I look so old." I didn't mean the GLASSES made me look old. I meant that with the glasses on, I could suddenly see every line, every detail of my face. The tech laughed and said "You know what - everyone says that."
Haha. That's funny.

My grandmother was really vain. She was not the smartest bulb in the pack...grew up in rural Kentucky. But she had gorgeous auburn hair and green eyes. (Sad none of us got them). So her looks were her thing. She began dying her hair red probably in her late 40's...maybe 50's. Sometimes it would be Ronald McDonald orange it was teased up 4-6 inches at it's peak in the 70's. Think big, Texas hair. She wasn't very social. Went downtown to have her hair done every single week until she fell around 86 and couldn't anymore. She put her makeup on every single day. Miss her so much.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:09 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,253,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I've worn glasses or contacts since I was 7 yrs old. Many years ago, I considered Lasik surgery, but come to find out, I deal with dry eyes (which explains why contacts were never comfortable or convenient for me.) The eye doctor explained to me because of my dry eyes, I might have complications and unintended consequences, if I got Lasik. Soooo...never mind. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've had really severe nearsightedness my whole life. I wore glasses all through grade school and got contacts in 8th grade, wearing those until just a couple of years ago when my eyes just noped out of having contact lenses directly applied on a regular basis. So I've been wearing glasses for the majority of the time for a couple of years. I still have a really strong prescription, and there's only so thin that high index lenses can go, but I'm actually enjoying playing around with frames.
High Rx glasses plus heavy frames leave dark marks on nose and dark circles under the eyes.
Also there are other risks associated with severe myopia.
Since almost all of us will have cataracts eventually, it is worth considering a Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) procedure, which is the same procedure as cataract surgery. The cost is very reasonable here in Canada (10k ~ 15k).

Old 05-25-2021, 03:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,865,506 times
In my 50s i have upped my skin care game, thats a priority for me.

Plus i love to take daily walks tho my plantar fasciitis usually has the last say.

You guys. I adore all my eyeglass frames none of that "old crone sht #Funky

[url]https://www.wherelight.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwLKFBhDPARIsAPzPi-JanGY3MIqhe-pgBTcoYQ32FAEo7JcCmRtWUoVtZ5t63-TUmCpPY2MaAgdKEALw_wcB[/url]

Old 05-25-2021, 03:39 PM

3,315 posts, read 1,910,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
High Rx glasses plus heavy frames leave dark marks on nose and dark circles under the eyes.
Since almost all of us will have cataracts eventually, it is worth considering a Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) procedure, which is the same procedure as cataract surgery. The cost is very reasonable here in Canada (10k ~ 15k).
I was very disappointed at my last ophthalmologist appointment. He told me my cataracts were too immature to get this surgery. I have friends who have had it and their vision is perfect without the help of any glasses. I wear reading glasses and I would be lost without them so I'm looking forward to getting this surgery ... maybe next year.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:49 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,397,386 times
As a 50+ year old guy I can say keeping my weight down and HYGIENE are two very important factors and STYLE. I can't believe how clueless some guys my age are in regards to putting themselves together.

Nose/Ear Hair
Moisturizing cream on feet !
Shaved neck line
Trimmed body hair
TEETH/BREATH !!!
SMELL
Type of jeans.
Hat Choices

Old 05-25-2021, 04:10 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,127,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Cataracts can be eliminated with glutathione drops for the eyes. There's a product by a company called "Oclu-Med" that sells them. It takes about 4 months to eliminate your cataracts.
https://store.naturaleyecare.com/ocl...caAksaEALw_wcB

Old 05-25-2021, 05:39 PM

9,286 posts, read 5,043,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
I'm a 65 year old woman - who feels about 45 - I'm content with my looks - I just want to be healthy.
Same here for sure....although I could stand to lose a few pounds!

Old 05-25-2021, 06:17 PM

10,307 posts, read 8,471,577 times
Isn’t 50 the new 40?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty