Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 03:22 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times

Advertisements

I need some information on manicures. I will start by saying I have always had great strong finger nails but horrible cuticles. However that changed about a year ago when Menopause came into the picture. My nails grow but they break easily and have become brittle and split and peel. When I first complained about it to my doctor she said it is very typical of pre-menopause through menopause. I started taking a Bioten supplement and it has Made my nails and hair grow faster but hasn't changed the issue of them being brittle etc. On my next annual appointment I complained again and My doctor recommended I cut sugars out of my diet. Since January I have been eating a 95 +% sugar free diet. No improvement. I eat very well, rarely any processed foods except for the rice cakes I eat with some peanut butter. I eat organic 85% of the time. Fruits and Veggies and lean proteins. I am allergic to nuts and shell fish so I can't eat that. Basically what I am saying is diet has done nothing to remedy this issue.

Because I work in a professional position where I use my hands when I work with clients I make sure my nails are well maintained. A regular manicure would need to be done every other day to keep it pristine for me so thats out. The nail place recommended I do gel manicures, using the gel polish and then the light. I did this for some months and it totally trashed my nails. I stopped and let my nails recover for three months and then they swore up and down that the Dip would not do that to my nails. So I started using that but again it completely wreaked havoc on my nails. I think because both of these have to be taken completely off each time you get them down then the nail sanded down to prime for next round that is why. My nails became paper thin making the nail beds under my fingernails sore. I have been not doing anything for four months. I need to do something. I am wondering if doing straight old fashioned acrylic would be better because they would just need a fill every 2-3 weeks instead of pulling the whole manicure off again? Or is a Gel tip better?

I need something I hit my finger a couple weeks ago and it split my thumb nail up the center of the nail causing it to bleed and it was very painful for over a week. I have grown most of that nail out and am ready to start a new regime. I have a huge presentation next week for a very large project where I am going to be working closely with my clients the architect and the builders and my hands will be on display.

Whats the solution? I searched out manicure types and everything said it was the best......which wasn't helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 08:44 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I have acrylics with gel polish on top because as I got older I had deep ridges in my nails which would catch on everything. If I kept ridge filler on my nails and did them every two days or so they would be okay but I couldn't grow them a bit longer like I used to when I was younger.

With the acrylics they are hard & strong and the gel polish stays until it is removed. My nail technician just grinds off the gel polish as I don't wish to soak my nails in acetone. I go every 3 weeks but I do have to file my nails down once in that three week time because they grow fast. I still moisturize my cuticles and do my own manicure on the day before I go to the salon so they stay looking nice.

I like not having to worry about how my nails look for 3 weeks other than moisturizing.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:32 AM

43,119 posts, read 18,281,341 times
A vitamin deficiency will reflect in problem hair and nails.
After I started taking a daily vitamin and adding more protein to my diet my hair and nails are much better and stronger.
I also started using SALLY HANSEN COMPLETE CARE 7-IN-1 NAIL TREATMENT as my base coat.

The gel/acrylic/dips will end up making your natural nails worse so once you start doing it you have to continue doing it.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:02 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
A vitamin deficiency will reflect in problem hair and nails.
After I started taking a daily vitamin and adding more protein to my diet my hair and nails are much better and stronger.
I also started using SALLY HANSEN COMPLETE CARE 7-IN-1 NAIL TREATMENT as my base coat.

The gel/acrylic/dips will end up making your natural nails worse so once you start doing it you have to continue doing it.
As I stated before diet and supplements all accounted for. Doctor says its due to menopause and is actually very common.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:00 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I have acrylics and wear gel polish on them. They do not chip or fade. I just need the fill in about 2-2.5 weeks. I also do get on my toes. Lasts a full month

Old 07-01-2021, 05:55 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Another acrylic-er here. I go every 2 weeks. He takes the regular (not gel) polish off with acetone on cotton (no soaking): roughs up the existing acrylic with the Dremel and fills in at the base of the nail. I’ve been getting my nails done for about 25 years with no problem.

I could probably go 3 weeks between fills but the shop was hit hard by Covid shutdowns so I like to help out in my own little way. Getting pedicures more often, too.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:37 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
I prefer sns over all of these.
my nails remain strong, shaped, and long even after 3 weeks.
The only drawback is my nail usage is limited.
Sns prevents my nails from fastening necklaces or bracelets.
it's difficult to pick things up with my nails/fingertips, and they don't help when taking my contacts out.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:51 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,727 times
I understand you have ridges on real nails. I learned I did too when I said to salon let's try no tips. My nails looked bad beneath the polish. But I don't know if that was her not buffing enough because she didn't want to lose a larger paying customer.
I never do my own nails, so I'll never know. I understand you want to look good for work, but if your hair and make up is salon fresh (you can hire a pro for make up for as little as $50) I think you can get away with real nails a nude polish color as to not draw attention. I have noticed many of the real "Hollywood" stars having no nails, short like a boy with an Oscar in hand. If you don't care that you are making real nails worse beneath (I don't care, life is short) then I don't see much of a difference in any of the fake nails. Fill in better than pull off. That is weird.

I don't know why they call the powder acrylic. LA and NYC are very different w this.

One thing my gfs do is buy fake nails at the store and use for the one day a week you may have a meeting like you do. I tried and am too bad at buffing and placement because they fall off, but others rave about them. That is healthy because you can take off right after work.

Last edited by fly_me; 07-02-2021 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-02-2021, 01:59 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,727 times
I never heard peri or menopause causes this. Watch housewives of Beverly hills. They are all between 43 and Lisa Rinna, 56. I don't recall Lisa doing her nails and she does a zillion salons. I could be wrong. But I am going to start to look at women's nails for now on who are in the age group. I hope your dr isn't just gas lighting and making it up. Would not be the firs time a Dr is dismissive over our issues. I recall many young girls having ridges all over nails and quite breakable.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:20 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I prefer sns over all of these.
my nails remain strong, shaped, and long even after 3 weeks.
The only drawback is my nail usage is limited.
Sns prevents my nails from fastening necklaces or bracelets.
it's difficult to pick things up with my nails/fingertips, and they don't help when taking my contacts out.
I love sns too! I haven't had them done since before Covid closed down my salon but now that you mentioned it, I think it's time for me to get back on schedule. I had gel and acrylic for years before dips became available and I wouldn't go back to either of them.

I have had good success doing my nails at home with ILNP polishes - they really last a long time - but I've also had to keep them quite short. I think it's time to go full on glamour again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty