Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
But maybe the yellow would be appealing to someone...? There are people with natural skin colors running the gamut from almost completely chalk-white, to almost completely soot-black. There's also everything in between... and there are people who are attracted to all of it.
You're still not getting it. Wearing makeup has little to do with attracting other people. Instead, it has everything to do with making ourselves look better -- for ourselves. Not for anyone else.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
My husband, who will soon be 81, thinks I look better with a little make-up.
And this doesn't sadden you? If my wife had any reason to believe that I found her more beautiful in an "unnatural form" than in her "natural form", she'd be quite offended.

My best guess is that if you have an 81-year-old husband, you've been around for quite a while yourself. I've found, from having played music at dozens of nursing homes, that older people generally have a good grip on what is real, true, and worthwhile in life. That's why I like playing for them. The same really can't be said for younger people... I see that all the time. (For example, I re-worded the song "Too Fat Polka" so that it became "Too Thin Polka"... basically, it's the same premise as the original song, except my lyrics talk about the generalized negative side of being skinny rather than the unattractiveness of being fat. Nursing home audiences go crazy when I play that song... whooping, hollering, laughing, you name it... they love it from start to finish! If I played the same song for a crowd of 20-somethings, some would laugh but many would boo and throw rotten fruit at me.) It surprises me, therefore, that you would sound so cavalier about your husband believing you to be more beautiful with makeup than without.

When I was young and stupid, I was at a church service one time... and this man in his early 70s stood up and talked about aspects of his marriage. They included, but were not limited to, the fact that he thinks his wife is more beautiful now than she was when they got married. They'd been married for over 50 years, and in my not-so-refined thought processes, I figured that they MUST have looked better in their 20s than they do now in their 70s... but who am I to judge what looks better to someone else and what doesn't? He sounded very sure of himself.... and though there was a lot of legacy in their marriage which must've helped to cement the relationship, he wasn't talking about the legacy. He was talking about her physical appearance, even at age 72 or whatever she was.

My point is this... age doesn't have to preclude beauty. Wouldn't you prefer your husband to tell you that you're most beautiful naturally? I tell my wife that I plan to live to be 100... and since I have long hair now, it'd serve me right that eventually I will go bald. If that happens, do I want my wife to tell me to wear a hat all the time because I look better with a hat than I do as an obviously bald man? Not in the least!

Quote:
He also studies his bible and he agrees that God made everyone beautiful.
How does this get reconciled with him thinking that you're more beautiful with makeup... which is something you were not born with? If we want to talk about God, something I say all the time is this... God doesn't make mistakes... and He created everyone to be beautiful in his/her own way. For the person to alter his/her appearance in any unnatural way (such as with makeup) is to assert that God made a mistake and that the person knows more than God does about what's beautiful and what's not beautiful. I don't think I have to explain that one... its preposterous nature speaks for itself.

Quote:
He also believes that God gave women the brains to try a look their best because when they do, they feel better about themselves.
You're absolutely right, but the term "their best" is where the subjectivity comes in. If every woman would think "I look my best when I am natural", nobody would ever buy makeup.

Quote:
He wants His children to do their best, think their best and live their best.
I agree completely. However, "thinking their best" means that they don't forget about God during their thought processes. To God, a person thinking "I am not as beautiful naturally as I am when I do something unnatural to my appearance" is as ridiculous as a person thinking "The Earth is flat".

Quote:
I won't bother to tell you what he thought about the original posting.
Hopefully he read it in its entirety and tried to digest every word before dismissing me as a lunatic.

Quote:
The Song of Solomon mentions the red lips of the Beloved. It also mentions the sweet smell of the clothing.
My lips, and my wife's lips, are pink/red naturally. The same can be said about the lips of most humans, I imagine. As for sweet smell of clothing, I think that my wife's clothing smells perfectly sweet when it's her natural aroma. These two descriptions don't imply that makeup and perfume were used.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're still not getting it. Wearing makeup has little to do with attracting other people. Instead, it has everything to do with making ourselves look better -- for ourselves. Not for anyone else.
As a matter of fact, I get it completely. Read my original post.

If you wear makeup FOR YOURSELF to "make yourself look better", as you said, then that means that you believe that you CAN look better with makeup than you look without makeup. This falls into my original "Reason #1" why women wear makeup... not liking their natural appearances.

I'll throw one more analogy out there. Let's say that you take the SAT... the maximum score these days is 2400, from what I hear. If you're anything like me, you never studied for standardized tests. So, you take the SAT without studying, and you nail that 2400.

Will you schedule a retake, and study for the test this time? NO... because you already got the highest score possible!!! This is what I'm talking about. If women believed that they were as beautiful as they could possibly be, in their NATURAL forms, they would never waste time wearing makeup... because the best that could happen is that they look no better nor worse than they do naturally... and the only other possibility is that they look worse with makeup than they do without it.

Frankly, I see no point to going that route. It's like buying a $1 lottery ticket where you know you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning the top prize of $1.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I don't think makeup is evil. I think GOD put makeup on the earth.
God put the chemicals and compounds on the earth which could be altered and combined and whatever to produce makeup. That doesn't mean that makeup is good. Don't forget... if you're going to believe in God, you have to believe in Satan also.

God also put the chemicals, compounds, etc. on the earth which could be altered and combined to produce cigarettes, marijuana, cocaine, LSD, methamphetamines, barbiturates, etc. Does that make all of those products good?

People ask why God allows there to be so many bad things in this life... I say that it's because God wants us to have a reason to have to choose Him. If God's way were the ONLY way, we'd have no choice but to follow it... making us a bunch of glorified drones. Let me ask you this. Would it mean as much to you if a member of the opposite sex decided to pursue you because you were the only member of your gender on earth, or if that person chose you out of the billions?

Quote:
It works. Makeup makes some women look prettier. Some women wear too much, and some don't wear enough.
Makeup makes some women look prettier, to you, because you don't think they're pretty enough without it. Theoretically, that's your prerogative... but if you don't think a woman is pretty enough without makeup, that woman should keep plenty of distance from you... electing instead to find a man who thinks she's pretty enough without makeup. She will find such a man if she looks hard enough.

In my opinion, any woman who wears makeup is wearing too much. If you think some women don't wear enough, don't look at them. They have every right to be seen as gorgeous as the women whom you feel don't need makeup.

Quote:
I think it's funny when you're sitting next to a couple of women and they see another woman walk by, and they say, "Don't you just want to pin her down and give her a makeover?"
I've never heard that... but you can rest assured that if I ever do, I will probably speak up and put those women in their place even if I've never seen them before. Perhaps the woman who is supposedly in need of a makeover actually LIKES the way she looks.

Quote:
To the OP, you're a dude. Let the women do and say what they want. Focus on man stuff. That's what makes the world spin.
They will anyway. My purpose is to get them to realize that they really aren't achieving a positive goal by wearing makeup. They're prepetuating a damaging societal cycle which has been known, in extreme cases, to have fatal outcomes. I can't see how womankind could be any worse off than it is today if all women came to realize that they are entirely beautiful naturally... and they encouraged each other to continue thinking that way through their words and their actions.

And yes, I am a dude. However, I believe it isn't likely that a straight man's brain can be more "feminine" than mine is. I've always had more female friends than male friends. I understand women... and self-esteem issues are their "Public Enemy #1". As long as I live, I'm going to fight the reasons why women (and men, naturally) suffer unnecessary self-esteem damage.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Hmmm... but I'm an atheist who doesn't wear makeup.

Just an observation, I find that women who wear a lot of eye makeup end up with more wrinkles and lines around their eyes when they get older. I think that all that extra sessions of removing the makeup stretches out the delicate skin in that area. Even if they are always careful and using gentle makeup remover techniques.

I, for one, have no plans to ever use the services of a plastic surgeon.
You're right on with this one. When I was young and stupid (as I like to say), I used to spend a lot of time styling my hair and I gooped it up with gel and spray... all that happened was that I'd sweat the crap out when I was running around (getting it in your eyes isn't pleasant)... and my hair got these weird waves in it which I couldn't style out.

Ultimately, I gave up using that junk... and my hair is nicer now than it ever was.

I'm sure that makeup stains a person's skin to an extent... heaven knows, when I was in college, I was a member of a clowning group and we wore clown makeup for our performances. Some of the stuff would stain my skin, and I'd notice the stains for days no matter how hard I scrubbed it in the shower.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
I wear a bit of foundation to cover rosacea. Trust me its not pretty
uncovered. But, I only do this when going out somewhere. Otherwise
I wear zero makeup at home. I think makeup makes me look better.
I wasnt blessed with flawless skin. I use coverstick to cover the dark
circles too. I do this because I look better and feel better about myself
with certain skin imperfections covered. My husband sees me with and
without makeup. Whats the big deal!

Greenchili

Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
First of all, I know plenty of guys who wear makeup for creative expression of emotion...

Secondly, the OP mentioned getting a new hairstyle over dying hair.. IMHO, wouldn't getting a new hairstyle for the sheer purpose of improving on one's looks be in the same realm as makeup? In fact, aren't certain designs of clothing created for the purpose of changing the way your body looks? ((corsets for instance))

I would say that hair is "more evil" than makeup. I can do my makeup in under 5 minutes. If I style my hair, it takes about half an hour or more! My prom makeup took a grand total of 10 minutes. My hairstyle took almost 2 hours to complete.
I mentioned getting a new hairstyle because almost all of us get our hair cut. There aren't many people who NEVER go to the barber. So, when you get your hair cut, get a different cut or something. At least it's still your natural hair. I never said, nor implied, that one should get a new hairstyle to improve one's looks. That would only hold if the barber totally destroyed your hair and the cut you got turned out to be nauseating. I suggested that a new hairstyle would provide the outlet for "creativity" which some people have been satisfying through usage of makeup.

I agree about the corsets thing... and I think nobody should ever wear one of those. It isn't even healthy.

As far as your prom makeup and hair style... maybe your date wanted it that way. If I were you, I'd question his motives. When I married my wife, I told her "run a brush through your hair after you shower... blow it dry if you have to... and then just get to the church!". She needed nothing more fancy than that.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
I wear a bit of foundation to cover rosacea. Trust me its not pretty
uncovered. But, I only do this when going out somewhere. Otherwise
I wear zero makeup at home. I think makeup makes me look better.
I wasnt blessed with flawless skin. I use coverstick to cover the dark
circles too. I do this because I look better and feel better about myself
with certain skin imperfections covered. My husband sees me with and
without makeup. Whats the big deal!

Greenchili
Depends upon your definition of "imperfections". What is "imperfect" to one will be "perfect" to another... even rosacea. Men get that too.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:48 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
This doesn't seem to be as much about makeup as it is about societal expectations. No one is free of those, regardless of what you may think. To be completely free of society's influence, you would need to be raised without human contact and then you would be catastrophically stunted in intellectual development (and possibly physically).
Perhaps makeup does feed into society's value on the beautiful people. But, truly, what does it really matter? We all do things that make us feel good - exercise, eat chocolate, go to movies, etc. It's your choice to find women that eschew makeup more attractive and it's our choice to wear it if we so desire. I'm naturally blond and so are my eyelashes. I choose to darken them because I want to do so. My man dislikes makeup, but he's forward thinking enough to leave the choice up to me. So, I definitely do not wear it to impress him. Makeup can be a form of individual expression and not merely ornamental - think goth. To me, pushing your expectations and theories onto others (including your wife) is just as domineering and dictationg and fraught with expectations as you are claiming societal norms to be. There is no absolute black or white, merely shades of gray that get bent to assimilate into an individual's perspective or in some cases, agenda.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
To me, pushing your expectations and theories onto others (including your wife) is just as domineering and dictationg and fraught with expectations as you are claiming societal norms to be.
Well said...I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty