Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 12:30 PM

10,999 posts, read 6,523,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Studies have concluded it's all about symmetry.
I've read that too, but think of all the actors/models with uneven features. Like a crooked smile that is actually really attractive, or those who have differently-shaped eyebrows yet are very attractive.

And it can be really off-putting to make a mirror-image of one's face so that both sides are identical. Kind of creepy.

I agree that really attractive people are rare. On the rare occasion I might meet one, their beauty is distracting and that's where my attention goes. I might miss other things about them.

Six-packs are rare in real life. I live on the beach and have never seen one in person, only in pictures, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 12:35 PM

10,999 posts, read 6,523,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Pure luck and it’s rare. Next time you are in public, look around. The overwhelming majority of people are ugly to plain to mildly pleasant. True good looking people are super infrequent. Like 1 in a 100 or so. Part of the problem is obesity. Everyone in this country is fat so even those who could be good looking lose their edge and fall into the disrepair of plainness.
LOL, yes. Not just Walmart. When we used to go to Disneyland, we liked to sit down and rest and people-watch. It's a good lesson in what average looks are, lol.

We see too many good-looking people on TV/online who were above-average to begin with, then have spent hours in the make-up chair followed by perfect lighting. That skews our perception about looks.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:38 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,496,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Six-packs are rare in real life. I live on the beach and have never seen one in person, only in pictures, lol.

Yes they are rare & Ruth brought up 6 packs too.....BUT nobody needs to have a 6 pack to be considered good looking. It doesn’t make a difference like weight does tho.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I know this is about physical features but I find certain voices very attractive especially a rich baritone. To me it's the totality of the personal attributes. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Somebody’s voice isn’t part of being “good looking” tho..it’s what ppl “look” like. Attraction is super different than good looking or pretty or handsome.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 07-15-2021 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-15-2021, 01:00 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,546,376 times
Quote:
I know this is about physical features but I find certain voices very attractive especially a rich baritone. To me it's the totality of the personal attributes. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Somebody’s voice isn’t part of being “good looking” tho..it’s based on what ppl “look” like. Attraction is super different than good looking or pretty or handsome.
Of course I know that which is why I qualified my statement per the above. But beauty is also in the eye of the beholder so when I hear a distinctive voice I am less inclined to notice a crooked nose or other facial feature so the face may be beautiful in my mind's eye.

Other posters have mentioned personality so we are all free to express ourselves beyond the narrow parameters of physical features. Not sure why you feel the need to question such innocuous statements.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 1,886,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
i think it is just the luck of your mixture at conception .. i am the youngest of 13 kids .. i have older sisters and brothers who look like movie stars and some of us do not .. when God was passing out looks i thought he said books and i said i dont want any .. but i do look better at 65 than i aver have in my life .
That's cute!

Old 07-15-2021, 01:38 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,969,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL, yes. Not just Walmart. When we used to go to Disneyland, we liked to sit down and rest and people-watch. It's a good lesson in what average looks are, lol.

We see too many good-looking people on TV/online who were above-average to begin with, then have spent hours in the make-up chair followed by perfect lighting. That skews our perception about looks.
Yeah people watching is not what it used to be. It’s become more penguin watching. We have a population of 360 million, but fat content of 720 million.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:43 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,496,180 times
Quote:
Of course I know that which is why I qualified my statement per the above. But beauty is also in the eye of the beholder so when I hear a distinctive voice I am less inclined to notice a crooked nose or other facial feature so the face may be beautiful in my mind's eye.

Ita beauty is in the EYE of the beholder.....but you can’t SEE a voice.

AND ppl don’t scorn “good looking” women because they are jealous of their voice.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:39 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,874,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Not always, genes are the major player, but by spending money on hair, teeth, nose jobs, and so on, even a plain person will look good. There is a ton of cosmetic procedures and beauty products out there. Everyone who wants to look attractive can accomplish it.
I always find that people that 'go with' the looks they're given usually end up being the most attractive, messing around with nature often has a detrimental effect, some cosmetic procedures end up with god-awful results! Lip fillers nearly always look terrible!

Old 07-15-2021, 03:42 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,874,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Good genes. Beauty begets beauty. My dad was bald in his 50's. My mom had a full head of hair until she died. I inherited my moms genes so I have a full head of hair at 67.
Both my mum AND dad have more hair than me! (Perhaps the milkman was bald ). Its funny but when I started losing my hair I felt like the world was ending but now people that know me are always telling me how much 'bald' suits me, my Mrs says she would chuck me out the house if I so much as thought about a hair transplant. I for one think Yul Brynner made the right choice in embracing his balding bonce rather than trying to cover it up with a bad syrup!

https://www.reddit.com/r/YulBrynnerW...ner_with_hair/
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-yu...-30957318.html

Old 07-15-2021, 03:49 PM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Both my mum AND dad have more hair than me! (Perhaps the milkman was bald ). Its funny but when I started losing my hair I felt like the world was ending but now people that know me are always telling me how much 'bald' suits me, my Mrs says she would chuck me out the house if I so much as thought about a hair transplant. I for one think Yul Brynner made the right choice in embracing his balding bonce rather than trying to cover it up with a bad syrup!

https://www.reddit.com/r/YulBrynnerW...ner_with_hair/
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-yu...-30957318.html
I just read a biography of Brynner written by his son. He had a full head of hair when he decided to go bald. He shaved it off regularly. It made him distinctive, and it added to the exotic look he cultivated, in part due to his exotic history, having started his career at a young age in the Russian Far East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty