Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 09:35 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times

Advertisements

That depends heavily on your own style, how you use a watch, and many more things. This is a bit akin to asking what clothes look good on a man. Not enough to work with.

I have an older ESQ rectangular no-date, small seconds quartz as a dress watch, a Seiko5 field watch and a resin Casio World Time as dailies/beaters, an Orient Ray II as my swimmer, and some other quirky little ones to play with. You may find that depending on the needs of the day, you want a different watch, and of course a different strap can entirely change the mood of a watch. Watches are jewelry for men, it’s different pieces for different occasions. You might go barefoot at the beach but be in wingtips at work and in boots for yard work. GADA (go anywhere do anything) watches are kinda hard to pigeonhole and frankly like any all-purpose goods will leave something to be desired on the margins.

Much of the consensus seems to be that a diver-style watch covers a lot of the bases, while I myself find a field watch is nicer to wear and catches my eye faster; divers are heavy and can be a bit cliché. Anyone from Timex up to IWC and many in between have something nice in a field watch, it depends on your budget. Dive style watches are even more commonly found even at low budget prices. I love dress watches, but you’ll find them not getting much wrist time as they tend to look really hokey much more quickly than sports watches as they inevitably accumulate scratches.

Last edited by jcp123; 07-25-2021 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 07:39 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
There's no fixed rule on what looks best-it is very much a matter of taste.

I doubt that many people pay much attention to the kind of watch you're wearing, although I do think that a lot of people are likely to sneer at watches, like Rolexes and other expensive models, that seem too ostentatious. There are probably also people who think they are impressive and attract the right kind of attention.

I suspect that you aren't interested in making the jump from a Timex to a Rolex, though.

I've had both digital and analog watches over the years. This winter I was wearing a Timex Ironman, similar to yours, and it was just fine. Not flashy, durable, and when I was choosing between an Ironman and a Casio I came down to the Ironman because the digital time display was bigger.

Then it stopped working because I wore it in the water when I was at the beach (yes, they're supposed to be waterproof) so I ordered a new watch. The one I got is a Timex Weekender. I think it's a good-looking watch: analog dial, numbers for every hour, no date display (again, at my age I find that even with my glasses on I can't make out the date in that tiny window and I don't need it anyway). In all, I think it's a very clean, simple design.

The reason I think it might be a good choice for you is that, unlike some watches that have been recommended to you, there is a mark for every minute on the dial, so it is easy to tell if the time is 9:32, and not just "a little past 9:30".

When I got my Timex Weekender it looks as though I paid almost $70.00 for it, and right now Amazon has it for $33.00, so that looks like a good deal. You might want to take a look.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SS450_.jpg

Oh, and within a week my Ironman was working just fine, so now I have a digital and an analog watch, both of which suit my needs.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:17 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Well the big issue I have analog watches is that it's more of a time estimate rather than an EXACT time. In today's world, I need to know what time it is exactly. With an analog watch, you see the hand getting close to the 12pm mark, so you know it's getting close to 12pm. But a digital watch, will tell you it's exactly 11:57am.
I rarely need to know the time to the minute from my watch (my phone will notify me of upcoming important moments). It's easy enough to set a decent watch--even a Timex--to my computer down to the second, and it will keep that time accurately for a month or more.

But far more often, I only need to know the relative time, that is, where am I within the day or within the hour. I can gather that information with an inconspicuous glance at the sight-picture of the analog face much faster than I can read the digits of a digital face.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 07-26-2021 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 08:29 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
CITIZEN Eco Drive. NEVER LOOK BACK.
I bought one of those about 15 years ago, a Skyhawk. I expected it to be my "deathbed watch."

I was terribly disappointed by it. The crystal began scratching almost immediately and the watch died within three years...far worse service than I'd gotten from Timex's, Armitrons, and such.

I'm currently wearing a trio of watches, a couple of thin black dress Armitrons and a brushed dress Timex, all with mesh bands. They're accurate, they keep time, and I've even gotten compliments on the Armitrons.

I think what garnered the compliments on the Armitrons was the clean faces and the very thin-appearing bodies: High speed, low drag, stealthy appearance.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:40 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
My 2 cents... watches are probably my only attention to 'jewelry'. So it's Practicality first and foremost, followed by attention to Design. So it oughta at least tell reasonably accurate time, require minimal 'maintenance', and fit my basic requirements (mainly analog display w/ date. mo, day)... and hopefully it's also encased in an 'interesting' package.

All of which seems surprisingly easy to do in today's world of cheap mass production and equally inexpensive, yet reliable watch movements... especially if you like 'variety'. Though not too 'yuge' on the Big Ben trend, and IMHO the watch still oughta be 'scaled' to fit the individual's wrist.

BTW, I have one watch that I often receive compliments on, and it keeps great time.... only 30 bucks offa fleabay (including free shipping... lol)!

Last edited by mateo45; 07-26-2021 at 08:53 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 03:11 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
What kind of wrist watch looks best on men?

One that runs, and keeps time to within a few seconds per month.

Your basic Timex ($30) is fine.

BTW, I have never paid any attention to any watch men wore. Life's too short. A watch neither improves nor diminishes a man's looks. They are completely irrelevant and unimportant. Unless you want to know what time it is, and that has nothing to do with looks.

Why anybody spends umpteen thousand on a Rolex is beyond me. All I can think is that he has far more money than sense, and/or he didn't work very hard to get his money.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:49 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Well the big issue I have analog watches is that it's more of a time estimate rather than an EXACT time. In today's world, I need to know what time it is exactly. With an analog watch, you see the hand getting close to the 12pm mark, so you know it's getting close to 12pm. But a digital watch, will tell you it's exactly 11:57am.
In actuality, there is no 12 p.m. or 12 a.m. There are two infinitely small points in time called noon and midnight, with a.m. and p.m. on either side on those points in time.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Check these out and let us know what you like...

https://www.boredpanda.com/creative-...mpaign=organic
I only looked at 3 or 4 of them, but they were all awful and I assume the rest were the same.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yes, but you don't "instantly know the time" if it takes you a few minutes of looking at the thing as you claimed before you can conjure up the time.
I'm pretty much bi-watch. I can use analog and digital equally easily.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:03 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
TBPO.. it’s not something I notice unless he’s flaunting it right in my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty