Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 06:01 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'd assume he is gay.
That's a baseless assumption.

Quote:
But maybe it is the fashion for the young guys to shave everything. A lot of them seem to have some sort of strange fear of body hair.
More baselessness - it's as baseless as claiming that women who shave their armpits/legs/wherever are 'afraid' of body hair, or that men who don't grow bears are 'afraid' of them.

It's weird that you find a need to invent all these strange underlying reasons for mere aesthetic preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 07:39 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,574,171 times
Quote:

But maybe it is the fashion for the young guys to shave everything. A lot of them seem to have some sort of strange fear of body hair.

It’s about hygiene & grooming…I’ve never known a man that was afraid of hair but even on the beach you can see that almost all of them groom. IMO more men probably manscape & trim than completely & regularly shave their armpits tho.

edit: Manscaping tools are super popular especially for men under 40 or 50….you can tell by YT commercials & sponsorships.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:49 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

More baselessness - it's as baseless as claiming that women who shave their armpits/legs/wherever are 'afraid' of body hair, or that men who don't grow bears are 'afraid' of them.

It's weird that you find a need to invent all these strange underlying reasons for mere aesthetic preferences.
It is kind of an interesting societal construct, though. Where does the preference come from? If people had never seen media and social media, would it occur to them that they had to remove all body hair below the neck?

Old 03-23-2022, 09:03 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
It makes no difference to me.

But I think it is awesome. I see so many guys shaving their arms and they say that arm hair is gross. But then they have a whole bush on their armpits. I don't get it.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:07 AM

4,527 posts, read 2,664,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It is kind of an interesting societal construct, though. Where does the preference come from? If people had never seen media and social media, would it occur to them that they had to remove all body hair below the neck?
Well, this has been well studied and documented in the case of females. Basically dark body hair is a sign of sexual maturity and the idea of the sexually mature female runs counter to ideas of female helplessness and "innocence". The conflicts amongst sexual maturity, openly expressed female sexuality, the desire to keep women infantilized yet sexually voracious yet motherly, are exploited by advertisers and those who want to keep women under control. Thus, for example, we see the current idea that women (of all ages) should be slender and hairless, yet with enormous breasts (this is a phenotype that is extremely rare in nature) and dressed and made up to look like hookers. What's required of women is changed every few years. Thick eyebrows, thin eyebrows, dark lipstick, no lipstick, blue eyeshadow, orange eyeshadow, raccoon eyes. Pointy breasts, round breasts, flat ones. 1910: large bust, enormous bottom (bustle). 1925: flat chest, no bottom, short and thin. 1940: large bust, tiny waist. 1955: pointy boobs, tiny waist, big hips. 1968: flat chest, tall and thin. 2005: enormous breasts, no hips. 2022: enormous breasts, big butt, tiny waist. Make up your minds!

Now that the advertisers and fashion industry have women desperately modifying themselves in whatever bizarre direction they're told to, they need to expand the market - thus, men now also have to make themselves into something different. The current trend for men to be hairless satisfies at least two directives: 1) that it be unnatural thus requiring lots of consumption of goods to achieve (removal of male body hair) and 2) that it be infantilizing (only prepubescent boys don't have body hair).

Of course as with all matters that involve body image, sexuality, and our appearance to others, there's an enormous prevalence of a sort of Stockholm Syndrome wherein those who have committed themselves to following the societal pressures are the most violent in asserting that they are NOT being controlled, that those who point out those pressures are wrong/lying/envious/ whatever, and also the most violent in attacking members of their crowd who reject those societal directives. Thus the women who are so upset when the nature of fashion imperatives is pointed out.

The details of how much of the pressure for these unnatural modifications of ourselves comes from long term societal structures (we can talk for days about the Madonna/prostitute complex alone and that's just one aspect) and how much from the fashion industry's need for constant market expansion and sales, would be complex and beyond the scope of a quicky internet post.

Last edited by rabbit33; 03-23-2022 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-23-2022, 06:51 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I was manscaping the other day and was noticing that my armpit hair was peeking through my arm slit when my arms were at my side.....NO THANKS. I trimmed not shaved off my armpit hair.
Same happened to me.

I trim too.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:59 PM

11,047 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It makes no difference to me.

But I think it is awesome. I see so many guys shaving their arms and they say that arm hair is gross. But then they have a whole bush on their armpits. I don't get it.
Guys are shaving ARMS? Who is doing this (besides Robin Williams in Peter Pan, lol)? Dealing with stubble on one's ARMS? Eeeew!

On second thought, maybe musicians do because I've never seen hairy arms or hands/fingers on musicians! And I've wondered about that. Self-selecting? One exception is the bass player of the 60s folk group "The Seekers". Really stood out to me because I'd never seen that on a musician. But back then, they weren't doing a lot of guitar close-ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

On a cruise, one of the entertainers was in the hot tub and despite being totally bald, and not much hair on his chest, his back was completely carpeted in hair. His partner joked about it and so did he. He knew it was funny/odd and rolled with it.

I hate to say, couldn't take my morbid fascination off the sight.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:16 PM

2,964 posts, read 1,641,416 times
Hair is really only nice on the head. Not on the face, not in the brush, not in the sink, especially not on the back.

I don't mind a light dusting of light brown hair on the forearms and across the chest. Even a bit of underarm hair is okay.

I remember watching Four Weddings and a Funeral though and Hugh Grant is laying in bed with his arm extended out to the side and the camera caught his underarm hair and I remember thinking "eww didn't need to see that."

Old 03-28-2022, 05:28 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
I am not sure why guys don't shave their armpits! Can't imagine putting on deodorant on a bunch of hair. Sticky and yucky.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:31 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I think body hair on men is sexy, and prefer men who keep it natural.

Shaved armpits would be a huge turn-off for me, and I would not be interested in dating a guy who does that.
Ditto. One of the differences between the genders is that men have more body hair. It's a babe magnet. Of course, there's such a thing as too much of a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty