Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 01:58 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Depending on how severe they are, laser resurfacing may help. I am getting a full face Halo treatment in November. If you look online you can find information about that.

If you already feel like you need to lose weight, sure, do that first, but it's not necessary beyond revealing more fine lines. If you do the whole face, it's not going to matter. It will stimulate collegen all over and that will keep working for a few months even if you continue to lose weight. The benefits of a good Halo treatment can last up to two years. Sometimes they combine it with broadband light treatments, and sometimes they recommend a series. I am lucky in that I just need one Halo treatment a year.

I also suggest that you ignore people who tell you what you "should" do and what you "should" look like in your 60s. This goes double if the people are much younger than you are and triple if the comments are from men. Younger people are very quick to preach acceptance of aging because they do not know what it is like. As for men, until signs of aging are as broadly accepted as "distinguished" for women as they are for men, and until men are as judged on their looks and youthfulness as women, any comments from men about what women "should" do only reveal their male privilege. Besides, no one should be telling other people what they should look like. You came here asking for thoughts on what can be done. Invalidating your questions and concerns is arrogant and rude.

If you have the money and are willing to spend it, that is up to you. There is no harm in seeing a dermatologist to find out what can be done. Often enough, if the first consultation is not free, they apply the cost to your first treatment. Only a dermatologist can tell you what would be right for you.
I am with you. Her face, her body, her money.

I also am tired of all the "mansplaining" that goes on here. It is male privilege. I call what I do "maintenance and upkeep". Nothing more. I was born with a pretty face, and I will not part with it. It has and continues to serve me well. I don't want to look 21. I'd say "middle-aged" would be more my target,

The OP said that she feels "freaked out" by those wrinkles I can sympathize. I don't think she is being vain, but I don't take it lightly. We live in our bodies and look at our faces every day, It is cruel for some male poster to tell her to "look like a person her age". "or the other one "It would be strange if you were in your 60s and didn't have crow's feet" WHO IS HE to SAY?

It makes me wonder what these male know-it-alls look like.

Well done cosmetic procedures are imperceptible to the untrained eye. Do some people look freakish after Plastic Surgery? Maybe. I am thinking of Joan Rivers, Michael Jackson, and that NYC socialite who's face looks bizarre to most people. However, that isn't MY FACE and it's NOT MY BUSINESS.

I really wish that there was a forum on City Data that would be TROLL FREE and limited to consumers of cosmetic procedures, or prospective consumers. Where people would not be made to feel "less than" for inquiring about a normal choice that some people make. It's legal and medically sanctioned. People discuss far crazier things on City Data.

So, please tell me about Halo? How does it differ from regular lazer treatments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 02:32 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
When I was in my 20's, my mother and I used to go to Fort Lauderdale and have facials twice a year. It just morphed into 2 lovely days a year I had my mom all to myself and I will never regret those times but have fond memories. We did get for close to 25 years. Yikes!

What great memories of your mom to cherish!

This does beg a point, though maybe it is a little off-topic. I see these things as a type of self-care. I used to be very skeptical of things like facials because they seemed frivolous to me. But now--and maybe especially now, after so much pandemic isolation--I see them almost as therapeutic for the mind and emotions. This goes double for women. Sexist beauty standards aside, women give so much of themselves to others witih nurturing and raising children, running a home, working, maybe tending to the needs of their own parents. We are caregivers in so many ways, so to pamper ourselves a little bit is to give ourselves some of that care, too, and to have others take care of us for a change. It sounds weird, but someone tending to your face is a very personal thing, and you can see the results of their care.

I am interested in getting Hydrafacials after my skin heals from everything I am doing to it. (I have one more treatment to go for vascular lasers to take care of those pesky capillaries that often show up on fair-skinned people as they age, then the Halo.) However, this may be the same morbid curiosity that compels people to look at a Biore pad after they use it and think, "Ew, gross. NEAT!" If you Google "hydrafacial gunk jar," you'll see what I mean.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:54 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Thanks so much for the good comments and so helpful!

Sheena - DMing you. Last day of the month is super busy in my line of work!

Seija - Thank you so much also. Good to know all these alternatives.

There's a good dermatologist in my office complex so that's convenient.

I would definitely go that route first.

I just saw the article about the 95 year woman from Beverly Hills who is on You Tube promoting certain brands and herself! Good for her!

Old 08-31-2021, 11:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No. Botox will not fill the lines.

Eating fatty foods like "beef tendons"? You are most likely not a Dr. and I wouldn't advise a post-menopausal woman to "EAT more fatty food".

There are oral collgen suplements. I do not know much about them, but there is some evidence that it helps the skin, and other evidence that they do not.

Again, she should see a board-certified dermatologist to obtain this information. They can also lead her to a board-certified cosmetic surgeon.
Anything taken by mouth will be broken down by stomach acid and chances are good it will not end up in your face. Same for collagen creams. The collagen molecule is too large to be absorbed.

I keep reading the gold standard for making your skin produce collagen is retinol.

Also totally agree if some thing is freaking you out, take care of it. I am trying to lose weight too, and I am very probably going to get the family turkey wattle. Signs are showing up. That sucker is going to go.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Anything taken by mouth will be broken down by stomach acid and chances are good it will not end up in your face. Same for collagen creams. The collagen molecule is too large to be absorbed.

I keep reading the gold standard for making your skin produce collagen is retinol.

Also totally agree if some thing is freaking you out, take care of it. I am trying to lose weight too, and I am very probably going to get the family turkey wattle. Signs are showing up. That sucker is going to go.
Yes. Retinol is the gold standard. I was just responding to that rather bizarre post about eating fatty food and tendons. I had read about supplements and then, the same thing that you wrote.

Two of my best friends, sisters; are from a family that develops the dreaded wattle. They both did in their mid 50s.. They also developed double chins. They are celebrities and are photographed quite a bit. It was really bothering them, and they became self-conscious about laughing.

This wasn't anything that could be changed or dieted away. They HATED it. So they had liposuction for the fat under their chin, and the skin tightened. They are happier and no longer freaked out.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:11 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Botox

Old 09-01-2021, 03:41 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am with you. Her face, her body, her money.

I also am tired of all the "mansplaining" that goes on here. It is male privilege. I call what I do "maintenance and upkeep". Nothing more. I was born with a pretty face, and I will not part with it. It has and continues to serve me well. I don't want to look 21. I'd say "middle-aged" would be more my target,

The OP said that she feels "freaked out" by those wrinkles I can sympathize. I don't think she is being vain, but I don't take it lightly. We live in our bodies and look at our faces every day, It is cruel for some male poster to tell her to "look like a person her age". "or the other one "It would be strange if you were in your 60s and didn't have crow's feet" WHO IS HE to SAY?

It makes me wonder what these male know-it-alls look like.

Well done cosmetic procedures are imperceptible to the untrained eye. Do some people look freakish after Plastic Surgery? Maybe. I am thinking of Joan Rivers, Michael Jackson, and that NYC socialite who's face looks bizarre to most people. However, that isn't MY FACE and it's NOT MY BUSINESS.

I really wish that there was a forum on City Data that would be TROLL FREE and limited to consumers of cosmetic procedures, or prospective consumers. Where people would not be made to feel "less than" for inquiring about a normal choice that some people make. It's legal and medically sanctioned. People discuss far crazier things on City Data.

So, please tell me about Halo? How does it differ from regular lazer treatments?

I have mentioned on other threads that most people would be surprised to know who among their coworkers and acquaintances has had "work done." As you say, when done well, most people cannot tell. It is the bad, the botched, and the repeated procedures that call attention to themselves, and all the people you mention had multiple procedures.

Halo is pretty interesting. It can treat a lot of things like fine lines, enlarged pores, and sun damage. Sometimes they pair it with broadband light (BBL) depending on how much needs to be done. I do not need the BBL because I am a devotee of sunscreen and avoid the sun like the plague because I am so fair-skinned. Lobster is generally not a good look. Most people need a couple of Halo treatments but again, I am lucky in that my doctor only recommends one per year as kind of a freshen-up procedure.

It is a form of laser resurfacing, but it's not as aggressive as the traditional ablative kind that they use for deep acne scars and so on. There is less downtime. I expect to look like I have a face full of coffee grounds for a few days, and then when the dead skin falls off the skin underneath is fresher. The laser also promotes collagen growth, which is really the heart of most of these treatments it seems to me. Here is their website:

https://sciton.com/physicians/halo/

https://sciton.com/gallery/halo-before-after/

Here is the general website. If you click around you will find information on BBL and so on.

https://sciton.com/

I am astounded at all of the options out there. Different lasers do different things, so it is really important to talk to a dermatologist. I was sure I would need the BBL but she said no, not at all. I also had an age spot lasered off with a picosecond laser, which is also different. I thought I would need two treatments and needed only one.

None of this is cheap, by the way. My Halo will cost $1,750. It may be less than that in other parts of the country but Washington, DC area is expensive.

My vascular lasers cost $500 for the first one, and then another $1,250 for a package of three.

My spot treatment was $250.

This is some of the money I have not spent traveling and going out since March 2020, so I guess it is the silver lining to the pandemic.

I am sure some will have opinions on the expense, but they can kiss my behind because I sure won't let them kiss my nice smooth face.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
I have mentioned on other threads that most people would be surprised to know who among their coworkers and acquaintances has had "work done." As you say, when done well, most people cannot tell. It is the bad, the botched, and the repeated procedures that call attention to themselves, and all the people you mention had multiple procedures.

Halo is pretty interesting. It can treat a lot of things like fine lines, enlarged pores, and sun damage. Sometimes they pair it with broadband light (BBL) depending on how much needs to be done. I do not need the BBL because I am a devotee of sunscreen and avoid the sun like the plague because I am so fair-skinned. Lobster is generally not a good look. Most people need a couple of Halo treatments but again, I am lucky in that my doctor only recommends one per year as kind of a freshen-up procedure.

It is a form of laser resurfacing, but it's not as aggressive as the traditional ablative kind that they use for deep acne scars and so on. There is less downtime. I expect to look like I have a face full of coffee grounds for a few days, and then when the dead skin falls off the skin underneath is fresher. The laser also promotes collagen growth, which is really the heart of most of these treatments it seems to me. Here is their website:

https://sciton.com/physicians/halo/

https://sciton.com/gallery/halo-before-after/

Here is the general website. If you click around you will find information on BBL and so on.

https://sciton.com/

I am astounded at all of the options out there. Different lasers do different things, so it is really important to talk to a dermatologist. I was sure I would need the BBL but she said no, not at all. I also had an age spot lasered off with a picosecond laser, which is also different. I thought I would need two treatments and needed only one.

None of this is cheap, by the way. My Halo will cost $1,750. It may be less than that in other parts of the country but Washington, DC area is expensive.

My vascular lasers cost $500 for the first one, and then another $1,250 for a package of three.

My spot treatment was $250.

This is some of the money I have not spent traveling and going out since March 2020, so I guess it is the silver lining to the pandemic.

I am sure some will have opinions on the expense, but they can kiss my behind because I sure won't let them kiss my nice smooth face.
The price is about what I expected. I am very interested in this. I want to find someone locally for a consult. My birthday is coming up.

Old 09-08-2021, 03:10 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Skip retinol and get a prescription for tretinoin. It's the pure version--your derm can prescribe it. Also, I agree with others on Botox. Lastly--if you want a temporary lift, invest in a NuFace. It's an at home microcurrent, which will help lift your face.

I use all of this stuff and people think I am minimum 10 years younger than I actually am.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:52 AM

30 posts, read 22,794 times
From my experience Botox injections work great for Crow's feet. You can try finding a reputable dermatologist online and get a consult with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty