Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 02:40 PM

10,999 posts, read 6,529,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
While I would agree that a tan can cover up a million little imperfections, one problem is that the damage from a tan is cumulative, and the results of cancer and the attempt to remove it are even more disfiguring.

Try a search for "Mohs facial surgery" and look at the images. When you have a cancerous or suspected cancerous lesion. they don't just do a neat little surface removal of the spot. They go wide, and deep. They have to get all of it.

Try another search for "elliptical surgery," which is the another way of removing lesions. Even if they just use the scoop that works like a melon baller and get all of it, you end up with a deep chunk of flesh missing. When it heals, it can leave a permanent scar and be a different color than surrounding skin.

The other problem with a tan...it may make it harder for you to see potentially dangerous imperfections while they are smaller and more easily managed.

To me, in the end, the tan is not worth it. There is so much you can do with laser treatments, a good skin care regimen and religious use of daily sunscreen and hats. If you think that is too expensive, compare it to your insurance deductible find out how much of the surgery and pathology will be covered. by insurance. Even a simple biopsy runs several hundred dollars, with insurance.
Same here, sigh. Had a couple friends down here that got the "Moh" surgery. DH and I both had lesions dug out and yes, there's a pit and darker coloration. So I stay out of the sun now, and what a joke, after moving to the equator! I'm pale even though I look better tan, as you say, NOT worth it. And I take Vit D while realizing how ridiculous that is.

I get brown spots, red spots, white spots...no more tan for me (Swedish heritage so no wonder).

The younger peeps today are smarter, retaining that "porcelain" skin, though it does look odd to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 03:12 PM

19,368 posts, read 12,020,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Same here, sigh. Had a couple friends down here that got the "Moh" surgery. DH and I both had lesions dug out and yes, there's a pit and darker coloration. So I stay out of the sun now, and what a joke, after moving to the equator! I'm pale even though I look better tan, as you say, NOT worth it. And I take Vit D while realizing how ridiculous that is.

I get brown spots, red spots, white spots...no more tan for me (Swedish heritage so no wonder).

The younger peeps today are smarter, retaining that "porcelain" skin, though it does look odd to us.
On some people (me) porcelain looks like more like corpselain.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:29 PM

906 posts, read 365,302 times
OK.......I'm ready to get beat up here.........BUT, I ALWAYS thought the best parts of a tan were the WHITE PARTS.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:51 PM

13,254 posts, read 8,332,154 times
The skin is an organ. Choosing to give it some tone in color is my choice. I don't use tanning beds. Some plant based tan formula . Non toxic.
It's a subtle glow. My eyes which are a sea greenish/blue get such compliments.
My skin has gotten a grey/blue tint as I age...poor circulation or tiredness. Unknown. Putting a glow back , yup!

Old 09-08-2021, 06:56 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,195,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaniLTD View Post
some of the best looking women and men in the world aren't Lille-white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Yes- but that's how they are naturally. They are not trying to be something that's not part of their genetic code. (BTW- you have a misspelling: It's Lillie-white. Lille is a city in France.)
Sorry Lillie - did your mom mean to name you after the flower?
LILY white - as in the FLOWER
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lily-white

Old 09-08-2021, 09:52 AM

118 posts, read 91,995 times
What?

"They are not trying to be something that's not part of their genetic code."

The last time I read something like this was in a history piece discussing Germany in 1939, and again I think about the evolution of South Africa.

Genetic code?

whoa, I see women all the time with blonde hair, who certainly aren't blondes, right? not a part of their "genetic code" LOL....men too....orange, blue too

women and men with red hair, like Jen Pzaki

women with big boob jobs, butt lifts, Botoxed lips, chin jobs

Men and women with nose jobs - er, that's a good one

Men and women (esp women) straightening curly hair, or vice versa, right??

Men and women wearing colored contact lenses

Cosmetic dental procedures

Bleaching creams

Use of lipsticks, rouge, permanent eyeliners, fake eye lashes, polishes

Yeah, right....gotta stick to your "genetic code"...."your papers please...your papers are not in order". Sie mich bitte begleiten

Old 09-08-2021, 10:07 AM

10,045 posts, read 6,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Yes- but that's how they are naturally. They are not trying to be something that's not part of their genetic code. (BTW- you have a misspelling: It's Lillie-white. Lille is a city in France.)
Actually, it's lily-white. You know, like a delicate white lily flower.

Old 09-08-2021, 02:07 PM

9,187 posts, read 4,978,087 times
I think most people look good with a little color. Not like the old lady in "What About Mary?" tan....but a light tan...

I was also one who 'layed out' in the sun, baking like a fool, baby oil and iodine, the whole 9 and I also have had several things cut off me!
Now, I used a self tanner on my legs and arms.....and if I'm in the sun, will briefly let me face get some color, of course, using a sunscreen.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:48 AM

3,743 posts, read 5,802,244 times
I get some sun but use sun screen and limit my time. I live in the desert and learned from some sun burns that you got to be careful. I just feel that I look better with a little color and I feel better about myself with a limited amount of color. Not the leathery look of some folks.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:57 PM

8,865 posts, read 5,888,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sorry Lillie - did your mom mean to name you after the flower?
LILY white - as in the FLOWER
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lily-white
Why do you assume my mom named me Lillie? Maybe I chose the name after Lillie Langtry? She had a very interesting life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty