Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 01:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
She is 83 and has had two facelifts. She is very open about her surgery.
Even so, there are people decades younger than her who have had 2+ facelifts and don't look half as good as she does. She looks fabulous, period. To be in her 80s and look that good is AMAZING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You might be making some assumptions about economics and lifestyle. Other than the wealthier people can afford to get surgeries and skin treatments, personal trainers.

My well paid boss looks like crap, she is always stressed and she's fat. I have less money and more time to take care of myself.
Your boss is well paid but is she wealthy? About 2 years ago on some thread here on C-D, I posted about my job having an event in which involved wealthy people. Most of them showed up. When I say wealthy, I'm talking millionaires / multimillionaires and because I knew some of their background, I can say that most of them inherited generational wealth. However, there were a small number of them who were self-made and became a millionaire/multi-millionaire within their own generation.

At any rate, in 2019 about 200+ adults ranging in age from 20s-early 80s were in attendance as singles (very few), couples (majority married), or families (had kids with them and rarely had more than 2-3). This is what I stated in my post at that time: the thing that strikes me about extremely wealthy people is that they don't look like normal Americans (were not dumpy, overweight, or obese).

Further, about 98% of them were thin people as in could hang out in Miami Beach thin; both the men and women regardless of age. They appear to be the type of people who who work out consistently, run, or keep themselves very active with other physical activities. That was only one event.

Over the past two decades, because of the type of work I do/have done and traveling a great deal, from time to time I've been around wealthy people/person and engaged with them for a short time in different states, parts of the country. The one thing that they seem to all have in common is being thin or height and weight appropriate. To be fat and uber wealthy is a rare combination. In that economic community, they are far and few in between.

Having said that and acknowledging that my insights are anecdotal, I believe that some assumptions can be made correlating economics, lifestyle, and physical appearance (not just facial but the body overall). This is not just applicable to wealthy actors, artists, and entertainers whose appearance is their brand. This is applicable to wealthy people who are in other professions as well whose lifestyles do not involve appearing on red carpets, on social media, TV, nor films.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s not assumptions, it’s the data. The upper middle class is healthier, is more physically fit, and lives longer than the poor. You can always come up with specific counter-examples but that’s the data. Statistically, I’m likely to out-live a low income person by almost a decade. Of course, I could be a chain smoking 500 pound couch potato but that’s less usual at higher wealth and income categories.
Geoff,

Wow, I'm just seeing this after I've just posted and basically have said the same thing that you've said here except I gave an anecdote from my own experience. Okay, so there is data that confirms what I'd noticed in my own personal experiences.

Sure, there are a few exceptions to the rule but that's in everything. Overall though, the averages, norms, or typical results speak for themselves.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:55 AM

572 posts, read 325,001 times
They take care of their diet and they cosmetic surgeries and all known procedures to stay lean and look young.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:57 AM

53 posts, read 40,371 times
Most people hit the wall in their mid 30's. Also, the better looking you are the less likely you will experience a big drop off in looks naturally. There are of course exceptions to the rule. Look at Ashley Judd. I do believe her's was a case of getting too greedy with cosmetic surgery options.

The filler/ botox look is being normalized in the media. If people do take this up to try and dodge aging, I expect WFH to be even more popular as people lose confidence in how they look.

Looks matter everyone.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:24 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceuponatimeinGina View Post
Most people hit the wall in their mid 30's. Also, the better looking you are the less likely you will experience a big drop off in looks naturally. There are of course exceptions to the rule. Look at Ashley Judd. I do believe her's was a case of getting too greedy with cosmetic surgery options.

The filler/ botox look is being normalized in the media. If people do take this up to try and dodge aging, I expect WFH to be even more popular as people lose confidence in how they look.

Looks matter everyone.
And they are doing it to look the same. It seems there must be a formula. Some of the celebrities are unrecognizable because they won't stop. Somehow Khloe Kardashian and Tori Spelling came to look similar. And Kelly Osbourne bought herself that same mask. These are women with totally unique looks and they all did the formula to appear dead eyed and plastic. Anyway I'm sure it's all very expensive.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:22 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And they are doing it to look the same. It seems there must be a formula. Some of the celebrities are unrecognizable because they won't stop. Somehow Khloe Kardashian and Tori Spelling came to look similar. And Kelly Osbourne bought herself that same mask. These are women with totally unique looks and they all did the formula to appear dead eyed and plastic. Anyway I'm sure it's all very expensive.
Right?

And Courtney Cox. Elle McPherson. Ashley Judd. Many of the "Real Housewives." Even Christie Brinkley is starting to look a little "different." I call it the "altered look," and it isn't a good one. I include Jane Fonda in this equation. She looked fantastic for so long, but now she looks like any other rich matron who needs to lay off the plastic surgery.

Some of them start looking the same, as though they came out of a factory somewhere, and others become almost unrecognizable. I saw pictures recently of a female celebrity -- can't remember who it was, but I'll try -- and I couldn't believe it was her.

Then there's someone like Connie Britton, who, to me, doesn't look like she's had anything done (besides breast implants) and isn't a slave to Botox. It seems she's made the conscious choice to buck the Hollywood trend, which shows a unique confidence that's really sexy. And she's beautiful, imo.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 09-13-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-13-2021, 12:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
It's definitely "a look." They don't look old, exactly, but they don't look young, exactly. It's hard to describe WHAT they look like, but they all look just alike...

Old 09-13-2021, 12:46 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's definitely "a look." They don't look old, exactly, but they don't look young, exactly. It's hard to describe WHAT they look like, but they all look just alike...
I think part of that "look" is the common use of cheek implants. They look so unnatural and fake, even on celebrities. But we can't have our face caving in as we age, can we! Especially not thin people with little fat on their faces or bodies. Probably get lip fillers too since thinning lips is such an ugly but common aging factor.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
They don't look bad. But they don't look good, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty