Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 01:25 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,612,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Write them (the brand you prefer) and ask. I see a huge market being untapped for us ladies.

I've been a Lee jeans gal . Still buy the jeans in the young men's department. I don't like ' tight' jeans, so the guy sizes work .

Write them though.
I've been writing and Emailing LLBean, Wrangler, and Levis about this for 15 years. If I'm lucky, I get a canned response thanking me for my interest. Then crickets. They don't care.

I've bought jeans from Long Tall Sally (https://www.longtallsally.com/jeans/c?page=1). They have dressy, stylish jeans that come in inseams up to 38". However, they don't have old-fashioned heavy cotton jeans that I can wear over long underwear in a blizzard when going out to clear snow off the generator. Apparently most jeans companies not only think all women are short, they also think we spend all our time sitting on a bar stool or something.

Last edited by KCZ; 09-14-2021 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 02:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 991,920 times
Petite is what I used to wear, but can't find many in plus sized. So I just get capri jeans or have mine hemmed.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:49 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,527,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm also tall and slim. I've worn mens Lee jeans all of my life because women's jeans did not fit my length.

About 15 years ago my hub convinced me to spend the money for 36 length London jeans at Victoria's Secret. I'm happy to say that I've hoarded some when they had a sale and a good thing because the company went out of business.

I don't need pants yet but will eventually. I occasionally look for 36" length but have not found it yet. If any of you tall and slim women find a brand send me a message if you remember. I don't want slim leg. I don't even want boot cut, I like a wider leg if possible but will settle for boot cut if I have to. I like some stretch in them as well.

Sorry to say that's a bust for me anyway.

The only jeans I like are $300. They have boyfriend baggy jeans which I don't wear for $60. Nothing comes in lengths. None of the legs are even boot cut like they sold many years ago when I did ride. They look like a tight boot cut. Definitely not the usual boot cut.

Harley Davidson women's pants
Those London jeans were the best (as were so many of the VS clothes back then). They weren't only long enough and fit my rear end and small waist, but they were also cut higher in the back so that when you sat, your underwear didn't hang out.

I still have two pairs of those jeans left--both bootcut. It's going to be a sad day when they're finally consigned to the rag bag.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:50 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,141,708 times
Lands’ End has some jeans that are unhemmed. Also Lands’ End has some petite jeans and a 26 inch length. They also have talls.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,973,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'm glad you petite people have a solution. Those of us with 34"-36" inseams get stuck with high water pants. I can sew but not well enough to buy men's jeans and alter the waist, seat, hips, pockets, zipper placement, and leg width just so I can get an adequate leg length. And don't get me started about our jeans costing 50% than men's jeans when we get 5% of the size choices.

Lands End has severely limited the number of styles that they will hem. I don't think any of their jeans offer that option anymore.

Think about that for a minute. For each waist measurement, women can have 15 different hip measurements. Are we offered pants that reflect that? No. If your waist is 26", somebody has decided your hips are 34", so that's what's on the rack, unless you can find a style that comes in slim, regular, curvy, etc.

Has anyone ordered from one of the made-to-fit companies where you send in your measurements and they make your pants? How did they come out? And how much did you pay?
They carry tall sizes though.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:20 AM

6,805 posts, read 10,445,113 times
They do, depending on where you shop. I usually buy pants from Duluth Trading Company and they at least specify the length - although they usually only have 2-3 choices in length.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:42 AM

24,036 posts, read 10,384,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceuponatimeinGina View Post
Women height variance is a lot less than men. I bought a pair of pants and they were too short and come up to above my ankles - relegated to homewear.

Not too long ago, I was a regular size. Over the years, my size has gone up, even though I stopped growing. What this means is that guys who were previously size S, are not a size L, if we assume they have not grown or put on any weight. Also, regular pants are now considered "Short Length" for the general male public, so us taller men need to by "Long Length".

This is a sign of the time. Having said this, this makes absolute sense. I believe younger males are shorter and more frail when compared to previous generations, so size inflation is a must else they would lose their customers if they had to purchase size S clothing - of course, this excludes immigrants to the West. Footwear has also needed to be inflated.
Is this a rehash about your thread about scrawny young males?

Women's heigh varies even in the US. Jeans do come in lengths. Maybe not the $25 special.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:20 AM

13,639 posts, read 12,289,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I used to wonder the same question. The real reason, I suspect, is that women are expected to be able to alter their pant leg lengths, but men are not, because either their wives or a seamstress does it for them. Pure sexism, which should have gone the way of the dodo at least 50 years ago.

My solution was to just buy jeans for men or boys, which came in waist and inseam variations.

Later on, when low-rise pants for women became popular, some of those actually fit me off the shelf. Standard rise pants choke my lower ribcage and sit “funny” because the butt area is too baggy on me.

I also have bought capris, whose lengths vary a fair bit. Never had any that were long enough to be like full-length pants, but they’re still better than having too-long pant legs that either drag on the ground in back or must be rolled up. I quit shortening and sewing the legs eons ago.

I do have one pair of men’s canvas pants that only came in waist size without different lengths, and that one is slightly too long. But since they will only be used for outdoor work, I just roll up the cuff.
I don't think that's it. Plenty of mens dress pants come unfinished at the hem.

I also wonder if the more tapered and countoured styles of women's jeans means that they're less likely to be obtrusive even if they are too long.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:06 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,213,883 times
I’m buying petite pants and they are typically still too long. Sigh.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:47 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,141,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm also tall and slim. I've worn mens Lee jeans all of my life because women's jeans did not fit my length.

About 15 years ago my hub convinced me to spend the money for 36 length London jeans at Victoria's Secret. I'm happy to say that I've hoarded some when they had a sale and a good thing because the company went out of business.

I don't need pants yet but will eventually. I occasionally look for 36" length but have not found it yet. If any of you tall and slim women find a brand send me a message if you remember. I don't want slim leg. I don't even want boot cut, I like a wider leg if possible but will settle for boot cut if I have to. I like some stretch in them as well.

Sorry to say that's a bust for me anyway.

The only jeans I like are $300. They have boyfriend baggy jeans which I don't wear for $60. Nothing comes in lengths. None of the legs are even boot cut like they sold many years ago when I did ride. They look like a tight boot cut. Definitely not the usual boot cut.

Harley Davidson women's pants
Whoa. 36” legs. I come from short and stumpy leg land like the rest of my family. And contemplating 36 inch leg length is just amazing. You must have legs like Cyd Charisse. When I watch her dance I always think that, what would it be like to have legs like that? Wow. Julie Newmar, too. Roselvr, you are so lucky.

I got caught up one day in reading about skirt lengths, and found an article about how to find your perfect skirt length. You measure your torso, from one point to another and then you measure your legs from one point to the floor. And I can’t specifically remember the points.

If your legs were shorter than your torso you needed to wear X length and if your legs were longer than your torso you could pretty much wear anything, but if your legs were the same size as your torso, which is me, I have to stick with kneelength. There’s like a 2 inch variation. It can go just below my knee or it can go just above my knee, but in order for me to look proportionate it has to be around the knee. That was the key to the whole article looking proportioned in your clothing. I keep thinking I’m gonna make a skirt because skirts are pretty easy to make.

Great, now I want to sew again. And it’s one of those odd ball things that we as humans do. I have short legs, I want long legs. People have short hair, they want long hair. People with straight hair want curly hair and curly haired people want straight hair. We never seem to want what we have. I guess that old adage is true — the grass is greener on the other side of that fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty