Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 10:15 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Beards have never really gone out of fashion, but the length and shape come in and out. Everyone's got a different taste and preference to them. I love them in my husband! As long as it doesn't get too scraggly.
And men get so few ways to express themselves in "fashion," that I don't begrudge them having some fun with facial hair. But, like with anything, if it's scraggly or unkempt, that's not a great look.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:25 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
My late husband had a weak chin and a very round face. A beard or goatee made his face look slimmer, and hid his weak chin. He looked amazing in a beard. And he kept his beard very tidy, even when he grew it out long, it was combed and conditioned.

There’s an actor on TV right now, I can’t remember his name. He has a very long face. He looks very strange without a beard. With a beard he looks normal. You really have to look at him to see what that beard is covering up.

So I am in the beard camp. I like them.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:18 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
I have a goatee to cover the scar under my chin from cancer removal in 1988. Chin looks lopsided when i trim it all the way, which is maybe once a year.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:23 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Beards are actually more difficult to manage than head hair. Because it is just like pubic hair it is more coarse and difficult to manage than head hair. Hair products don't work well for it and it needs a lot more nutrients to keep it thick and shiny.
Why would one want a shiny beard?

Old 09-15-2021, 01:18 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
For the forty years I was a cop, I had short hair and a neatly trimmed mustache. Finally, when I hit age 70 and COVID blew up in our faces, I figured it was time to ditch the razor and grow a beard. Wearing a mask, no one can see my ugly mug, anyhow. Although it is completely gray, I do keep my beard neatly trimmed and groomed. I'm too old to audition for ZZ Top.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:22 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Beards are actually more difficult to manage than head hair. Because it is just like pubic hair it is more coarse and difficult to manage than head hair. Hair products don't work well for it and it needs a lot more nutrients to keep it thick and shiny.
You think? I use a trimmer and takes like 5 minutes at week, i trim my beard on sundays, I think that shaving daily has worse effects on the face skin, so I prefer the beard. And my wife affirms I look more handsome with beard, so there you go.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:31 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
It has nothing to do with "jawline" or being overweight.

That's just the style nowadays. Boomers and their parents probably shaved almost all the time as that was what was considered appropriate when they entered the workplace. In today's world, growing facial hair and keeping it neat is considered acceptable.

I do think that older generations were OK with a mustache...the Tom Selleck/Burt Reynolds look. I don't know any guys that go with just a 'stache under the age of 45. It's either full beard, strong goatee or clean shaven. Some folks can pull off just the 'stache but hardly anyone tries it. Seems like it works better on men that are reasonably attractive and have bushy hair. If it's long and straight, the mustache doesn't appear to work as well.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:45 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Let's face it (ha) men have never LIKED to shave even if they LIKE the clean-shaven look. Most guys with beards think that having one means they never need to use a razor again - only the minority take the time to trim and shape it - and that's what it takes to look good. It's either clean-shaven or full on beard, neck and all for 90% of guys.

I do know some young guys in their 20's with really light beards (color and density) who, when we were in the office, shaved on Mondays only. The scruffy stubbly look was theirs the rest of the time.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:46 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Anyone on CD who votes for Santa with a full shave say aye.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:11 AM

53 posts, read 40,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It has nothing to do with "jawline" or being overweight.

That's just the style nowadays. Boomers and their parents probably shaved almost all the time as that was what was considered appropriate when they entered the workplace. In today's world, growing facial hair and keeping it neat is considered acceptable.

I do think that older generations were OK with a mustache...the Tom Selleck/Burt Reynolds look. I don't know any guys that go with just a 'stache under the age of 45. It's either full beard, strong goatee or clean shaven. Some folks can pull off just the 'stache but hardly anyone tries it. Seems like it works better on men that are reasonably attractive and have bushy hair. If it's long and straight, the mustache doesn't appear to work as well.
I totally believe your opening statement. Yes, totally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty