Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 03:08 PM

20,683 posts, read 8,448,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I'm curious--the person who would wear a buffalo check flannel dress--where the heck do you wear that? .
Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine for a barn dance.

I just got another catalog! I hope this isn't a weekly occurrence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 10:56 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,712,860 times
Lands End was great like 30 years ago when it was under original ownership. Like another LL Bean.
Sears flew it into the ground. Its awful now.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:16 AM

13,660 posts, read 12,323,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I have to chuckle: go to the Arc'teryx flagship store in Vancouver B.C. sometime. I've only seen pictures m'self, but when it's easier to travel to Canada I'll pop in one of these months. They do have a nice brand store downtown Seattle.

Wandering into the latter the other day, it's so PacNW can't even begin to explain. I've gotten to know one of the dudes who manages the place, he's as PacNW as it gets (as am I!). That style, and the layering concept, and the North Face store four blocks away, the Columbia store around the corner, on and on...unless you live somewhere it 1) rains half the year 2) gets chilly but usually not below freezing for long 3) tends to be quality but expensive....I struggle to see the use for anything found there. Yes they do have gorgeous fleece.
I love to layer, and hike, and wander the streets half the year (on the sidewalks and trails) so I think it's the bee's knees.

But compared to NE Texas? Might as well toss all that on the fire for heat. The smoke of burning Gore TEX might be toxic, though. Only thing I have from Land's End (or LL Bean) is their slippers, they tend to last about ten years as house footwear. Otherwise...
That stuff (Patagonia and North Face etc) is really popular in the South during winter. It rains a lot, is chilly sometimes but rarely freezes, etc...The puffier jackets are less popular but the fleeces and the shell jackets are very popular. And it's a notably different type of cold than when I lived in the Northern Midwest; less comfortable at 35 or 45 in the south much of the time than 10 degrees...the winters are dryer up there, the humidity cuts through layers differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
We've discovered the answer in this thread. If Kmart had a fire, Land's End might suddenly have a run on loud clothing.
Oddly enough, Loud is the last thing I'd think of wiht Lands End...but looking through some of the links it looks like they're trying to copy Patagonia or Columbia with some of those patterns, and slightly but noticeably missing the mark.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:20 AM

11,238 posts, read 19,444,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Lands End was great like 30 years ago when it was under original ownership. Like another LL Bean.
Sears flew it into the ground. Its awful now.

This thread caught my eye and I was coming in to say the same thing. Oh I remember the fun my mother and I had pouring over the Lands' End catalogue back in the early 80s! Most of the time I looked like I stepped out of the catalogue, back then in my early 20s.

Have you seen what they did to their women's' silk long johns? Horrible pieces of junk now. The complaints in the reviews tell the story, but they haven't yet taken heed. In the "old days" Lands' End the original owners would have put that right the very next year. Now it's been several years and they are still selling those junky pieces at an outrageous price.

Sadly I can't find anything better either. Perhaps that's why the company doesn't bother to fix them. No competition so why bother. (I won't go back to the LL Bean brand for these because they run and tear after two washings.)

Old 12-15-2021, 05:12 AM

50,137 posts, read 63,564,697 times
Quote:
Land's End bathing suits are good quality. I've had some of them for years and years. They do not stretch out as badly as the ones I bought at Kohl's.

I'm curious--the person who would wear a buffalo check flannel dress--where the heck do you wear that? I can't see it being suitable for anything. I guess that's the demographic who Land's End tries to appeal to.
I agree about the bathing suits. Their tugless tank is the best all purpose bathing suit ever.

I would wear a flannel buffalo print dress with tights, but I’m a former New Englander. I may have already said this, but LE used to have the best underwear. I still have panties that are old as the hills, but still in good shape.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:10 AM

10,065 posts, read 6,360,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
This thread caught my eye and I was coming in to say the same thing. Oh I remember the fun my mother and I had pouring over the Lands' End catalogue back in the early 80s! Most of the time I looked like I stepped out of the catalogue, back then in my early 20s.

Have you seen what they did to their women's' silk long johns? Horrible pieces of junk now. The complaints in the reviews tell the story, but they haven't yet taken heed. In the "old days" Lands' End the original owners would have put that right the very next year. Now it's been several years and they are still selling those junky pieces at an outrageous price.

Sadly I can't find anything better either. Perhaps that's why the company doesn't bother to fix them. No competition so why bother. (I won't go back to the LL Bean brand for these because they run and tear after two washings.)
Have you tried Cuddl Duds? I haven't tried the long johns but the tops are wonderful - I sleep in them sometimes or layer them under other tops for extra warmth. They even have fleece-lined ones! If you shop at Kohls and have a coupon you can really get a discount price!

Old 12-15-2021, 11:02 AM

41,826 posts, read 74,878,087 times
I pretty much live in Lands End's Starfish pants, cotton T-shirts, and winter fleece. The fabric and cut of the pants and T-shirts, however, change from season to season which is a little annoying.

Quote:
I'm curious--the person who would wear a buffalo check flannel dress--where the heck do you wear that?
Work. I work in a drafty old barn of a building, and a flannel dress with a pair of boots fits the bill perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Have you seen what they did to their women's' silk long johns? Horrible pieces of junk now.
I'm the same way about Lands End shoes. I used to be able to order any pair of shoes in their catalog, and the shoes would fit perfectly, be comfortable and substantial, and last forever. I have several 20-year-old pairs of all-weather moccasins and hiking shoes that still fit and feel great. But the new all-weather mocs are pieces of junk that fall apart after one season; they're tighter and narrower, which my high instep just hates. I ordered a pair of Mary Janes to replace the pair I bought in 2005 (and still wear), and the sole was thin and uncomfortable. I sent them back. So disappointing.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:21 PM

11,238 posts, read 19,444,578 times
Quote:
Land's End bathing suits are good quality. I've had some of them for years and years. They do not stretch out as badly as the ones I bought at Kohl's.

Sure years and years ago their things lasted. I have sweaters: cotton cardigans, and a couple of shetland wool pullovers, that I bought in the mid-80s. They are still nice enough to wear to work. So we're talking almost 40 year old sweaters, worn regular during the cold season, every single year, still nice.

You don't get clothes like that now. Everything is made deliberately poor quality, so they don't last, so you have to keep buying them.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:46 PM

20,683 posts, read 8,448,693 times
You might try looking for vintage Lands End clothes on Ebay. Every so often I will get nostalgic for an item I wore twenty or more years ago. Occasionally I've found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty