Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 09:05 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,281,058 times

Advertisements

This brings back a strange memory.

From age two to age twelve, I spent all my weekends with a career-educator bachelor uncle (who provided me with a well-enhanced education, for which I'll always be grateful, and whom I gradually came to recognize as gay, but closeted) and his domineering mother, in her eighties at the time.

One spring when I was about seven, Great-Gram decided my look-alike younger brother and I would look good in red sandals, and bought us each a pair. I'm pretty sure my parents threw them away as soon as the summer passed.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:15 AM

429 posts, read 407,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My husband has Uggs and wears them. They were developed by surfers.
Yep - they were for men when they first came out. Saw them in surf/snow/skate mags around 1990(?)

As far as sandals go for men - I grew up in New England and they were only for the beach or after soccer.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:45 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,454,342 times
As far as straight up fashion goes, you should be able to wear anything. In theory, if a man wants to wear a sundress, that should be fine, but if you're in an area where people will make violence on you for such choices, then that could be a problem.

As for sandals, there's no obligation. It may feel like that since women traditionally have worn footwear that shows more skin is all which includes sandals, but also heels. In a business setting (more notably, the traditional, "business formal" attire), women wear heels which still show part of the foot, although it should still be closed-toe, and supplemented with hosiery/pantyhose (so sandals would be out). For men, showing any part of the foot would not be "business formal" (so no sandals there), and even sneakers would be not acceptable (so stick with dress shoes).

Then again, women typically show more skin even in business attire. Skirts and dresses that are conservative can still show off legs and bare shoulders, whereas men would not be able to pull this off.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:08 PM

10,211 posts, read 6,666,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr44c3iqqs View Post
People who care so much about what others wear will for sure try to get their children, their siblings, their S.O., and their friends to dress as that very person pleases rather than let them please themselves. They can say that it’s not presentable, normal, presentable, etc, or can say they are not giving others a good image. Foot shaming on men online is rampant as such.
"Foot shaming?" LOL, What's that? Where you have 6 toes? LOL!

I know some Pacific Islanders that wear only sandals on their feet. Then again, they're mostly 6'8" and 375lbs of muscle. Not many people "foot shame" them to their face.

Nobody cares about "online."

Old 09-30-2021, 08:27 PM

10,857 posts, read 7,270,569 times
I don't wear sandals because most don't have good support, and the ones that do are ugly.

Ironically, I live in ugly rubber clogs because they work with arch supports and help my plantar fasciitis--my podiatrist recommended them.

Socks with sandals or female dress shoes look wrong to me, but you do you.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:57 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,418,570 times
To each their own. Do whatcha want.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:53 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,631,448 times
I have two pairs of sandals that I wear to work: a brown pair of Birkenstocks and a black pair of Birkenstocks. I wear them almost exclusively until it starts to get cold, at which point I add socks to them. (Totally kidding). I switch over to boots, ballet flats or some type of moccasin shoe. I do wear slides with socks after a workout and if I'm sitting around with friends after a long run (10-15 miles) though.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:04 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,051,310 times
I'm a "girl" & I can't for the life of me, remember one darn time that I felt obligated to wear sandals.

I've also never seen a guy wearing sandals & thought "He must never wear sandals!"

Old 10-01-2021, 06:03 PM

15,127 posts, read 27,647,170 times
Young females - girls - generally have an opinion on footwear after a certain age.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:28 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,338,093 times
I don't care what anyone thinks or believes is appropriate to wear on my feet. I will wear what I choose, and what I find is comfortable, and if it bothers anyone, they are welcome to stop looking at my feet.

For the life of me I can't remember paying attention to what other people wear on their feet for the last 10-15 years. I think the last time was when I was on vacation in Europe and one of my travel companions pointed out that you can tell the germans based on their love of wearing socks with their Birkenstocks.

Who really cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty