Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 05:58 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,277,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No. They are polished and put together. Not only young people. All middle class and above NY know how to look good. Almost airbrushed and effortlessly fashionable - even when they spend most of their money on rent.

No, it is not all cosmetic surgery or lots of expensive clothes. Some have it if they need or want it. They are neither reluctant nor anxious to have plastic surgery. They are pragmatic and practical. They do only what needs to be done. They also know how to get good cosmetic procedures for less. There are ways.

Things you will not see in NYC - women who look or dress like the Kardashians, people in cheaply made clothes, and women who are not conscious of ageing early on. Everyone walks, avoids fast foods, sweets and baked goods. I was born in NYC and lived there for years. I return about 4 to 5 times a year. I do not see exaggerated lips, or women who have "Groucho Marx" eyebrows. I have seen more exagerated lips in FL, CA, and in suburban areas. NYC women know how to use make up.

They are the most fashionable women in the United States, hands down.
Yup yup! Agreed to all of this. I'm from northern NJ(living in Atlanta right now). People where I am from are much more pragmatic in what it takes to look decent. And the environment helps too. There is far less fast food where I am from (compared to the suburbs anyway), and most people walk or ride a bike. This all helps with how you look and carry yourself. In the NE, we can make a pair of Levis look like high end jeans, and they last a long time. It is all about the way you put yourself together. Not expensive clothing and surgeries. And not a ton of makeup.
And for the "Groucho" eyebrows, I have two friends that have those eyebrows naturally(one being my GF). It is just their eyebrows. I never see them in the mirror enhancing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 06:02 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,277,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
This is why people should get off Instagram and don't compare yourself with others around the world.
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Basic good grooming goes a long way
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. I think it's mostly about business attire. You get these same impressions in San Francisco's Financial District. I'm wondering where the OP is getting her impressions. I think if she'd been to NYC, she probably wouldn't have started this thread; she'd have seen the mixed reality for herself.
Agreed

I believe the OP may just have an underlying issue with NYC and the people there.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:28 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
I agree and disagree with a lot being said here. From new york state originally, lived in NYC, wife lived there for many years as well prior to us meeting. We are there multiple times a year to visit friends and family. My wife and I are also both interested in fashion and dressing well so we also do notice what other people are wearing.

Yes, on average, compared to other cities the look is a bit elevated across the board. But key word being average. I also see plenty of people in Manhattan and elsewhere who could be picked up and placed in other decent size cities and no one would notice. I still notice plenty of sloppy dressers or people who obviously don't care about looking put together (which is completely fine).

I also think there is a very wide variety even within NYC - not just one look. I have friends that run the gamut in style and lifestyle there. Fintech guys, musicians, painters, architects who I would all say dress well but completely different. Same for women. I also have friends and family (male and female) who live in both manhattan and brooklyn who dress like they only shop at walmart and would fit in any suburb in America.

All in all, I love NYC style-wise, but disagree with the idea that NYC has 'a look' or singular style or that everyone dresses well etc. Tends to be more of an instagram or magazine level view of the city. In fact, the variety itself is what I love about it. The fact that the median or average dress is nicer just kind of skews the outsider opinion when you visit. Live there and you see the full picture. Just my personal opinion of course

Old 12-10-2021, 07:14 PM

631 posts, read 297,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No. They are polished and put together. Not only young people. All middle class and above NY know how to look good. Almost airbrushed and effortlessly fashionable - even when they spend most of their money on rent.

No, it is not all cosmetic surgery or lots of expensive clothes. Some have it if they need or want it. They are neither reluctant nor anxious to have plastic surgery. They are pragmatic and practical. They do only what needs to be done. They also know how to get good cosmetic procedures for less. There are ways.

Things you will not see in NYC - women who look or dress like the Kardashians, people in cheaply made clothes, and women who are not conscious of ageing early on. Everyone walks, avoids fast foods, sweets and baked goods. I was born in NYC and lived there for years. I return about 4 to 5 times a year. I do not see exaggerated lips, or women who have "Groucho Marx" eyebrows. I have seen more exagerated lips in FL, CA, and in suburban areas. NYC women know how to use make up.

They are the most fashionable women in the United States, hands down.
Ny women look like poodles. CA women look way better. It's not even close. Marylin Monroe, Michell Pfieffer, Jessica Alba, Alicia Silverstone, Cameron Diaz...all from California.

Last edited by MercedesBoy; 12-10-2021 at 07:24 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 12:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesBoy View Post
Ny women look like poodles. CA women look way better. It's not even close. Marylin Monroe, Michell Pfieffer, Jessica Alba, Alicia Silverstone, Cameron Diaz...all from California.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've always thought those California sex symbol actresses you used as examples look a bit unreal, more like fashion store clothes mannequins or cartoonish caricatures of real women. But if you've grown up believing the young California actresses unreal look is best then that misconception will bias you so you see all other real women as looking like dogs. Hence your NY poodles.

Now those California actresses you mentioned are no longer young. They have all grown up into middle aged women with wrinkles, greying hair, showing the effects of weight gain and the pull of gravity so now they are looking more like real human beings.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:22 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I agree and disagree with a lot being said here. From new york state originally, lived in NYC, wife lived there for many years as well prior to us meeting. We are there multiple times a year to visit friends and family. My wife and I are also both interested in fashion and dressing well so we also do notice what other people are wearing.

Yes, on average, compared to other cities the look is a bit elevated across the board. But key word being average. I also see plenty of people in Manhattan and elsewhere who could be picked up and placed in other decent size cities and no one would notice. I still notice plenty of sloppy dressers or people who obviously don't care about looking put together (which is completely fine).

I also think there is a very wide variety even within NYC - not just one look. I have friends that run the gamut in style and lifestyle there. Fintech guys, musicians, painters, architects who I would all say dress well but completely different. Same for women. I also have friends and family (male and female) who live in both manhattan and brooklyn who dress like they only shop at walmart and would fit in any suburb in America.

All in all, I love NYC style-wise, but disagree with the idea that NYC has 'a look' or singular style or that everyone dresses well etc. Tends to be more of an instagram or magazine level view of the city. In fact, the variety itself is what I love about it. The fact that the median or average dress is nicer just kind of skews the outsider opinion when you visit. Live there and you see the full picture. Just my personal opinion of course
I'm a born and bred native. It could be that the ones that don't look so put together are commuters, visitors, and recent transplants. We get a lot of them. I can pick them out (not the commuters who shop in NYC) without much work. There is no Walmart in NYC.

There are certain looks and styles, including artistic and business ones.

Last edited by Coney; 12-12-2021 at 06:30 AM..

Old 12-12-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I'm a born and bred native. It could be that the ones that don't look so put together are commuters, visitors, and recent transplants. We get a lot of them. I can pick them out (not the commuters who shop in NYC) without much work. There is no Walmart in NYC.

There are certain looks and styles, including artistic and business ones.
I was only using Walmart to describe cheap and off the rack. IE utilitarian. Summer not a born and bred native, I lived there, have family members who are native etc. And I definitely knew plenty of residents who weren't stylish. Just average, fashion-unaware residents.

Note that I still think NYC is the most stylish city in the US that I've spent time in. I just personally think it's a stretch that everyone in NYC dresses well or they must be a transplant, commuter, or tourist. Part of why this bugs me is that it shines a negative light on real people I know who have lived there most of or all of their life but who either aren't fashion conscious or in Kent cases we've financially in a spot to worry much about fashion. But they are definitely still bl new yorkers. My relatives who were/are maids, hospital secretary, nurse, mailmen, tinknocker, electrician etc. True new yorkers, regardless of the fact that I don't they remember them ever being stylish dressers.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:28 AM

PS Sorry for trying to talk to text that on a dog walk

Old 12-12-2021, 11:06 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
@sheena : What's a "Karen" hairstyle?

Old 12-12-2021, 11:14 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesBoy View Post
Wasn't Marilyn Monroe the ultimate "poodle" type? Her poufy hair wasn't naturally blonde, you know. But I see your point with a couple of the other examples: a more casual, natural look. That's' more of a NorCal look, than the stereotypical glitzy Hollywood style.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-12-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty