Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 03:53 PM

30 posts, read 22,804 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone noticed how a lot of younger people in NYC look so sharp and polished and enhanced. I'm not sure if this is natural way of things or they do something to look that way. I also noticed that a lot of girls have this exaggerated look with their lips and wondering if it's some sort of makeup or any cosmetic surgery. Do they really pay all the $$$ to look that way or it's some sort of natural selection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 09:24 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Are you referring to the young girls that "enhance" their brows to mimic the late Groucho Marx?

Old 11-21-2021, 04:21 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah157 View Post
Wondering if anyone noticed how a lot of younger people in NYC look so sharp and polished and enhanced. I'm not sure if this is natural way of things or they do something to look that way. I also noticed that a lot of girls have this exaggerated look with their lips and wondering if it's some sort of makeup or any cosmetic surgery. Do they really pay all the $$$ to look that way or it's some sort of natural selection?
No. They are polished and put together. Not only young people. All middle class and above NY know how to look good. Almost airbrushed and effortlessly fashionable - even when they spend most of their money on rent.

No, it is not all cosmetic surgery or lots of expensive clothes. Some have it if they need or want it. They are neither reluctant nor anxious to have plastic surgery. They are pragmatic and practical. They do only what needs to be done. They also know how to get good cosmetic procedures for less. There are ways.

Things you will not see in NYC - women who look or dress like the Kardashians, people in cheaply made clothes, and women who are not conscious of ageing early on. Everyone walks, avoids fast foods, sweets and baked goods. I was born in NYC and lived there for years. I return about 4 to 5 times a year. I do not see exaggerated lips, or women who have "Groucho Marx" eyebrows. I have seen more exagerated lips in FL, CA, and in suburban areas. NYC women know how to use make up.

They are the most fashionable women in the United States, hands down.

Last edited by sheena12; 11-21-2021 at 04:31 AM..

Old 11-21-2021, 08:07 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
It is all tied to the city limits.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:00 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I think a lot of it is due to the huge volume of choices for fashion, hair salons, and cosmetics in NYC. You don't have to travel far to find clothing stores and the selection is endless at all price points. In the suburbs, you are limited to the stores in strip malls and indoor malls. Most of those are chain stores that sell the same things you see all over. In NYC, there are small stores of all price points that sell stuff you don't see everywhere else. The few remaining department stores left in NYC are the flagship stores. You need a lot of merchandise to fill up that Macy's. We also have a lot of travelers/foreigners from abroad who influence our styles. It's always been like this. NYC women are just a little bit ahead in terms of trends and fashion.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:08 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
NYC is the fashion industry capital of the US. Some of the largest corporations in the world are in NYC. People have to look professional and polished to get a job.

If you work in Timbuktoo, Nowhere, it probably doesn't matter how you look.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,100 times
Though I don't think it's all related to cosmetic enhancements, NYC is all about fashion, beauty, film, and the corporate world, all of which require a degree of above average appearance. There are a lot of medical spas and plastic surgeons in NYC, all of which are obviously doing well. However, I think that compared to Miami, for example, the enhancements seen in NYC are a lot more subtle and natural looking, going hand in hand with that natural model look.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I think it depends on where in NYC you go. If you're in the business districts, you'll run into people dressed for professional jobs, like you would in other major cities. If you ride the subways at night or on weekends, you'll get a different impression. If you go to the sketchier areas, ditto. On Wall Street, people look professional. On or around Times Square, you'll see all kinds, polished, unpolished, tarnished.

It's similar to LA; people say there's so much pressure to look good in LA because of Hollywood, yet LA has millions of residents, most of whom have nothing to do with Hollywood, and many of whom look as plain and average as people anywhere.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:14 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
On or around Times Square, you'll see all kinds, polished, unpolished, tarnished.
That made me think of the Tin Man

Old 11-23-2021, 04:10 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,465 times
Sounds like a "Stepford Wives" vibe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty