Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 04:35 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,236,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes. Mine were more hazel/green years ago, now they're grey. Kind of like it!

Curious, I looked the question up. Apparently, nearly 15% of people with lighter-colored irises will experience a change in color as they age. Darker pigmented irises change less, but its possible any subtle change simply goes unnoticed. The color change is partially due to the amount of melanin...so sun exposure can account for some of it.
This thread is pretty interesting to me. I've always wondered about this. Like people's skin can tan in the sun, or their hair can lighten, but I've never heard of the sun affecting eye color. I took the same driving route for years where I faced directly into the sun, and I always wondered, Is this going to fade my eye color? lol (I have brown eyes.)

So, again, I find it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 04:40 PM

On a separate note, has anyone else ever seen a brown-eyed person have a dark-blue rim around the outside of the iris?

Old 12-04-2021, 04:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
My father's eyes were dark dark brown for most of his life. Gradually changed over the years and when he died in his mid-fifties, they were definitely green, though not as green as my Mom's. At some point in the past I looked up eye color change and it was supposed to be a specific condition, not all that uncommon.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My father's eyes were dark dark brown for most of his life. Gradually changed over the years and when he died in his mid-fifties, they were definitely green, though not as green as my Mom's. At some point in the past I looked up eye color change and it was supposed to be a specific condition, not all that uncommon.
My dad had (dark, I suppose) brown eyes his whole life (as far as I know). In his later years, his girlfriend mentioned something about his eyes being blue. I was like, WTH? What are you talking about? So I looked closely at his eyes and he had this blue rim around the irises. It was still dark (blue), though. He did have close relatives who had very vibrant, light green eyes, for whatever that's worth.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
My driver's license says blue, because the woman at the DMV said they were blue. Some days they look blue. Some days they look more hazel. That's always been the case. Late 50's and still the same color.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:44 PM

204 posts, read 128,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
My dad had (dark, I suppose) brown eyes his whole life (as far as I know). In his later years, his girlfriend mentioned something about his eyes being blue. I was like, WTH? What are you talking about? So I looked closely at his eyes and he had this blue rim around the irises. It was still dark (blue), though. He did have close relatives who had very vibrant, light green eyes, for whatever that's worth.
Maybe it was cataracts.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:54 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I am 72, and my eyes are still nearly as dark as a Betazoid's (Star Trek). I do have a ring around the iris, these are called limbal rings and most people are born with them, but they tend to thin or disappear as we age.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:27 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Mine used to be a rather bright blue with a white rim. Now they're a darker grayish blue with no rim. In the 1970s people of asked me if I was wearing tinted contact lenses.

My dad's eyes were a clear, light blue until the end.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenhouseZ View Post
Maybe it was cataracts.
No, he had surgery for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am 72, and my eyes are still nearly as dark as a Betazoid's (Star Trek).
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I do have a ring around the iris, these are called limbal rings and most people are born with them, but they tend to thin or disappear as we age.
Again, very interesting thread. I had never heard of this at all.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:10 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
From birth to age 12- Light sky blue.
Teen years onward, phased into a greenish blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty