Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 08:52 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Check craigslist, Facebook marketplace, or other local market sites. I got one torso mannequin from freecycle, and another from habitat for humanity.

Maybe see if there is a sewing group in your area that would let you borrow a dress form.
Or look for a Bollywood dance group, or costumers; they might enjoy learning to drape a sari, or even give you tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 09:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
How about this? 30$. Good reviews. Hangs in the closet when not in use.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Molded...5-4eb7e418a6d2

Old 05-23-2022, 09:15 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times

Old 05-23-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
How about this? 30$. Good reviews. Hangs in the closet when not in use.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Molded...5-4eb7e418a6d2
It's only the front of the torso, do you need the back, too? Maybe stuff a pillow in it?

Last edited by steiconi; 05-23-2022 at 10:35 PM..

Old 05-24-2022, 06:04 AM

533 posts, read 481,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It's only the front of the torso, do you need the back, too? Maybe stuff a pillow in it?
This might work, but it would need to stand somewhere when I am draping.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Check craigslist, Facebook marketplace, or other local market sites. I got one torso mannequin from freecycle, and another from habitat for humanity.

Maybe see if there is a sewing group in your area that would let you borrow a dress form.
Or look for a Bollywood dance group, or costumers; they might enjoy learning to drape a sari, or even give you tips.
I’ll see if there is sewing group nearby

Old 05-24-2022, 06:46 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
There are several sites to show you how to diy a mannequin, but most of those will require if not a friend, at least an accomplice. You basically get some saran wrap, wear your undies, and get wrapped. Cover whatever areas you need for draping, i.e., neck and shoulders, entire torso, arms as far as you want them, below the hips up to you. Then your accomplice duct tapes you over the saran. If you no no one at all in the area, you might be able to find a tailor and explain your project and see if they would help you.
Once taped, you cut the thing open and the plastic wrap will let you slide out. Tape up the opening and there you are.
I like this idea, but my mother and her sister did a slight modification when they made a mannequin of me. I just put on a T shirt that I could sacrifice, and they taped right over the T shirt, cut it up the back so I could slip out of it, and then taped up the cut. The more tape you use, the stiffer it is. My mother used brown tape which dries a bit stiffer than duct tape but you could use a combination. That thing lasted years.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I like this idea, but my mother and her sister did a slight modification when they made a mannequin of me. I just put on a T shirt that I could sacrifice, and they taped right over the T shirt, cut it up the back so I could slip out of it, and then taped up the cut. The more tape you use, the stiffer it is. My mother used brown tape which dries a bit stiffer than duct tape but you could use a combination. That thing lasted years.
I did the tee shirt and duct tape version, and mounted it on a floor lamp.

I bought a commercial dress form last year, since the duct tape one got left behind in a move. It was nearly as much work to pad out the commercial one to almost match me as it was to make the perfect duct tape match. I still don't have the waist length right.

But perfect body match isn't what you need to drape a sari!

Old 05-25-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I did the tee shirt and duct tape version, and mounted it on a floor lamp.

I bought a commercial dress form last year, since the duct tape one got left behind in a move. It was nearly as much work to pad out the commercial one to almost match me as it was to make the perfect duct tape match. I still don't have the waist length right.

But perfect body match isn't what you need to drape a sari!

You’re right

One just needs a waist and shoulders, plus something to lift the mannequin (to see how the saree flows to the ground)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty