Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 10:01 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
* A prevailing absence of self-respect in appearance. Not caring to be presentable in public because “I wanna be comftabul!” (The cry of toddlers everywhere.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
^^^Exactly.
Is there some kind of virtue in being uncomfortable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 10:03 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I am guilty of wearing my leggings to the grocery store after going to the gym, however, they are way too hot to wear on a regular basis here in SW Florida. I do see them on just about everyone no matter what they look like in them.

I've been shopping a bit trying to find something to wear to my High School reunion (the first one I am attending) and everything in the stores is pretty hideous. Lots of "Little House on the Prairie" clothes and way too revealing dresses for me. The dress code is "smart casual" but no jeans. I've been to Dillards, Macy's, T.J. Maxx and I can't find anything yet especially since I wear a petite size. The closest I came was finding a petite dress in Ross that I may have to wear. It's cute, petite and in our school colors.

When did classic clothes go out of style or do I just need to go to the really expensive stores?
It's awful isn't it? I've had the same complaint for a long time. A lot of oddball styles out there and not much nice classic. I am also petite and it's already hard enough to find good clothes but in petite sizes even worse. Did you buy the dress from Ross?

Old 08-08-2022, 10:06 AM

1,092 posts, read 832,617 times
There is SO MUCH out there now that I don't/won't wear! Since there is SO much of it...I guess it must be my age...72.
"cold shoulder" tops (they are just ugly)
slides (the casual Nike kind AND the dressy mule types) I walk right out of them. (dangerous)
shorts with less than a 9 inch inseam (old legs ugly)
sleeveless or tank tops (flabby arms)
no high heels
no "flat" flats due to plantar facitis (sp)
dresses
pantyhose
zip/snap front jeans (elastic is my friend)
I guess I am all about comfort now. Fashion be damned.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:18 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Those long and loose dresses.. I prefer clothes that hug my body. I also wouldn't wear shorts that come down to the knee or below...too grandmaish for me. lol

Last edited by kgordeeva; 08-08-2022 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-08-2022, 10:24 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right? Sometimes I wonder if people get stuck in an 'era' of fashion, and judge everyone who doesn't dress like back in that era.

I, personally, will never be caught wearing pajama bottoms in public. Nope. Won't do it. But frankly, as long as people are covered...I don't care.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:52 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
My travel uniform, especially for flying, is generally leggings with a tunic or dress on top. It's comfortable, and, IMO, more polished than the actual pajamas that some wear.
Hey that's MY travel uniform! Leggings are fine with tunics. Not short t shirts.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:21 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
No. Rather the point is that one doesn't look like they rolled out of bed. The pajama pants look is (IMO) the single worst offender.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:04 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
I don't even know what is "trendy' now. I live in "Life Is Good" t-shirts and L.L. Bean Vista camp pants (outside) or Champion shorts (in the house) with Skechers shoes. It's good gear for a gardener.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:47 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Right behind Bungalove to say I'm not sure what's trendy now. I always used to keep up on these things. But I've got clothing for all possible occasions and I know what looks good on me and what doesn't.

I know the skirt length, where the waist should hit, what neckline is best, what colors and patterns to avoid. And I know what I like. I won't wear anything I don't like just to look trendy.

Now and then something new will catch my eye and I'll buy it to add an update note to my wardrobe. But I've learned I can do a lot with accessories and a closet full of classics.

The rest of my stuff is boho and as far as I'm concerned it's timeless and fun.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:56 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Right? Sometimes I wonder if people get stuck in an 'era' of fashion, and judge everyone who doesn't dress like back in that era.

I, personally, will never be caught wearing pajama bottoms in public. Nope. Won't do it. But frankly, as long as people are covered...I don't care.
We used to laugh about DH's cousin with her taped bangs and rolled bobby sox. "Stuck in the Fifties."

There's a lot to be said, though for the comfort of wearing what felt right when you were young. I do like my cut-offs, tee shirt and flip flops in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty