Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 10:31 AM

721 posts, read 1,209,948 times

Advertisements

I have a pair of sunglasses with smudges on the lenses. See the photo with highlighted areas showing the smears.

They are probably caused by constant rubbing with the hard surface of the outer pocket of my bag.

I tried washing it with warm water and liquid soap and wiping off with microfiber cloth, but to no avail.

Any advice on how to get rid of the smears would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
How to get smears out of my sunglasses?-smears.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 10:40 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Are you talking about smudges from the oil on your hands or actual scratches in the lenses?

Old 08-08-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are you talking about smudges from the oil on your hands or actual scratches in the lenses?
I'm talking about the scratches in the lenses.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:30 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Scratches are actual physical damage to the lenses, so you can't just wipe them off. There are some fixes that you can find online, like making a paste of baking soda or rubbing an eraser on them, but those might make the scratches less noticeable, they're not going to completely remove them and can remove any kind of protective coating on the lenses. In the meantime you should get a glasses case so the scratches don't accumulate.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-08-2022 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-08-2022, 11:36 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Oil smudges you can just wash with soap and water. Scratches are permanent damages to the surface.
Non abrasive toothpaste or baking soda might help, but I am afraid it will remove some of the tint.

If those are expensive glasses, better bring them to a eyeglasses store.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Scratches are actual physical damage to the lenses, so you can't just wipe them off. There are some fixes that you can find online, like making a paste of baking soda or rubbing an eraser on them, but those might make the scratches less noticeable, they're not going to completely remove them and can remove any kind of protective coating on the lenses. In the meantime you should get a glasses case so the scratches don't accumulate.
You are correct in that the scratches seem permanent, and nothing I tried seems to remove them completely. I have the original glasses case so I put the glasses in the case.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oil smudges you can just wash with soap and water. Scratches are permanent damages to the surface.
Non abrasive toothpaste or baking soda might help, but I am afraid it will remove some of the tint.

If those are expensive glasses, better bring them to a eyeglasses store.
You are correct in that these seem permanent damages to the sunglasses. It's Michael Kors and expensive.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:47 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
You are correct in that the scratches seem permanent, and nothing I tried seems to remove them completely. I have the original glasses case so I put the glasses in the case.
Did you just keep them loose in your bag or were you militant about aways putting them in their case prior putting them in your bag? If it's the latter and it's the case that they came in, it's odd that they were damaged as they should have been well-protected by being in their proper case.

You mentioned in a previous post that the glasses were constantly rubbing the interior of the bag, so I'm guessing that they were riding loose in there.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Did you just keep them loose in your bag or were you militant about aways putting them in their case prior putting them in your bag? If it's the latter and it's the case that they came in, it's odd that they were damaged as they should have been well-protected by being in their proper case.

You mentioned in a previous post that the glasses were constantly rubbing the interior of the bag, so I'm guessing that they were riding loose in there.
I hardly used the protective case that came with the sunglasses. Instead I left them in a pocket with leather interior that must have constantly rubbed the lenses.

Yes, they were riding loose in the pocket with whole bunch of other small items.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:22 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I hardly used the protective case that came with the sunglasses. Instead I left them in a pocket with leather interior that must have constantly rubbed the lenses.

Yes, they were riding loose in the pocket with whole bunch of other small items.
If they're prescription lenses, perhaps they can do something for them at the opticians' office, although I doubt it much can be done to mitigate the damage.

You're probably looking at living with the damage wrought by the glasses' storage in your bag or replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty