U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-15-2022, 05:39 PM
 
34 posts, read 18,034 times
Reputation: 79

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
This is the current problem in our society. I'm old enough to remember when women were supposed to be the pretty ones. Gender roles have been turned upside down these days and traditionalism has been thrown out the window. Women expect us men to be the arm candy for THEM. What she is doing is the equivalent of a man saying yo his gf or wife "hey maybe you should get some work done on those ". Either way not cool.
I’d say women are probably more forgiving of men not being in great shape than men are of women and Men are more forgiving about facial feature flaws then women are
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2022, 07:39 PM
 
21,069 posts, read 10,150,089 times
Reputation: 17753
When I was in HS, a friend and I got hit by a car that ran a red light. I landed flat on my face while she was tossed in the air and landed on her back. It goes without saying that I had a badly broken nose. At the time, all the people I saw that had broken their noses ended up with a bump on it. I remembered thinking that's how my nose will be. The doctor who put my nose back together in the ER was a plastic surgeon. To me, the end result looked just like my nose was originally. It was my mother who pointed out that my nose was a little wider now than previously. Looking at old photos, I saw it, too. The doctor did say if I wasn't happy with it, I could get it reshaped 6 months after the accident.

I never did change it. Nor has anyone made any negative comments about my nose either.

All that said, I think it was rude of the gf to make such a comment to the OP. Sometimes, one needs to keep their opinions to themselves.

I have a relative who inherited her father's big nose. To be honest, when I see her, I don't focus on it. Instead, I'm interested to hear what she has to say in conversation. She's been married a couple of times and her spouses clearly didn't care what her nose was like.

OP---If you want to change your nose, make sure you're doing it for you and not for someone else.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2022, 07:57 PM
 
1,996 posts, read 2,224,259 times
Reputation: 9002
I would not have an unnecessary surgery that I didn't want to have for myself. Now if there is an important reason you want to have it for you, that's another matter. Some women decide to have a breast reduction or some other elective procedure and if that's their choice, they should do it. If you want to change your nose for you, do it. But what she (and your friends) said was awful. Noses come in all shapes and sizes and the kind of people you want to surround yourself with focus on what's inside a person, not their physical appearance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2022, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Washington County, ME
1,683 posts, read 2,944,521 times
Reputation: 2263
I think it was rude for someone who was not EXTREMELY close to you to mention it.

I personally like big noses. May sound weird, but i'd explain it by saying - i like people who have a "distinctive" look. Not someone trying to look like everyone else. Certain things about people's faces make them look like who they are. People are attractive in their own way - and i really believe that the inside makes the biggest difference anyway (corny as that may sound).

The only time i can see plastic surgery is when the problem is almost a deformity. BUT - i'm old. I know younger people nowadays want to "fix" everything about themselves...not knowing that self-esteem comes from within. They will learn that eventually. You can never make yourself perfect. No one is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2022, 08:23 PM
 
2,307 posts, read 814,673 times
Reputation: 3242
I've seen nose jobs where the nostrils came out uneven or the nose was wider at the tip than before the surgery, and a girl I know had her nose fixed in the summer and it collapsed in the heat, the doctor had to do it over again for free.

Many times I can tell if a nose was fixed, it just doesn't look right when a small nose is on a big face

I would be more self-conscious worrying about if anybody could tell my nose was fixed, than keeping my bigger than average natural nose.

It is much more common to have a large nose than a small one, who cares what anyone says about your nose, I bet many people will like it too, even if some find fault with it.

Last edited by wp169; 08-15-2022 at 08:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2022, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Tri STATE!!!
7,776 posts, read 3,002,904 times
Reputation: 5729
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinMay View Post
I’d say women are probably more forgiving of men not being in great shape than men are of women and Men are more forgiving about facial feature flaws then women are
I disagree. Women of all shapes and sizes have decent husbands in gen x. For millennials times have changed. LIzzo is about to marry a fit handsome man. Men are far more forgiving of women's flaws because we know it's fleeting as women age.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2022, 10:51 PM
 
7,648 posts, read 6,212,320 times
Reputation: 7590
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It WAS broke.
You fixed it.
Now leave it alone.

And your thoughts on women and what they like and don't like.... you couldn't be more wrong.
Everyone has different likes and dislikes. No offense, but maybe the problem isn't your nose, but the females in your life. Get better quality females to hang around. lol.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 06:51 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,050 posts, read 29,592,948 times
Reputation: 26467
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinMay View Post
If it wasn’t a turnoff she wouldn’t mention it no?

I asked the surgeon about a nose job and he recommended I wait 6 months to a year and if I don’t like how it looks still then get it but he didn’t recommend getting one now after a break for whatever reason

Maybe I should have done it but maybe I will eventually


Welcome to city-data. There are a lot of different sections for all sorts of interests if you decide to stick around. There is a health section, so consider making a new thread there to ask specific questions.

Watch the show botched. You will see a recurring theme, people with multiple nose jobs that are never happy or they were happy with the 2nd, revision surgery but didn't know it at the time.

One theme there is that some can not have another nose job after this one because they've had so many, they damaged the nose by removing the natural structure which is there for a reason.

Personally, I need one too because my nose has a big hump plus it's not straight after being broken then when my grandson was little, he threw his Kindle almost across the room, hitting me right in the nose. He was bouncing on the couch with a tablet in his hand, it landed right on my nose.

There are decent doctors where I am which is close to Philadelphia. I'm so petrified of being botched that I won't even consider having my nose done yet even though I can't breathe. I'm a nose breather, I feel like I'm being suffocated breathing from my mouth which is another reason I don't want to do it. a 2nd cousin of mine just had her nose fixed, she said the first two weeks were miserable.

Best suggestion I have besides watching Botched is to get at least 3 opinions. Also google the doctors with words like botched, complaints, and reviews. Ask to see before and after pics of clients. See if you can speak to any yourself to see how their experience was.

How old are you? It is not good to get a nose job before age 30 IIRC and even then, our noses never stop growing. Honestly, I think you should wait 10 years to see what happens naturally because do you plan to keep running back every 10 to 15 years to shave it down?

Think long and hard before doing anything cosmetic. Do it for yourself, not any of the women you've spoken to.

If you do have it done, at some point you may regret getting rid of your ethnic nose because now you don't resemble anyone in your own family.



Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I've seen nose jobs where the nostrils came out uneven or the nose was wider at the tip than before the surgery, and a girl I know had her nose fixed in the summer and it collapsed in the heat, the doctor had to do it over again for free.

Many times I can tell if a nose was fixed, it just doesn't look right when a small nose is on a big face

I would be more self-conscious worrying about if anybody could tell my nose was fixed, than keeping my bigger than average natural nose.

It is much more common to have a large nose than a small one, who cares what anyone says about your nose, I bet many people will like it too, even if some find fault with it.

I agree with you, he should not do a nose job because they do not turn out right most times, people get botched, you can only have surgery on your nose so many times before you're stuck with the final surgery whether good or bad
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Chicago
2,009 posts, read 2,091,275 times
Reputation: 5114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Welcome to city-data. There are a lot of different sections for all sorts of interests if you decide to stick around. There is a health section, so consider making a new thread there to ask specific questions.

Watch the show botched. You will see a recurring theme, people with multiple nose jobs that are never happy or they were happy with the 2nd, revision surgery but didn't know it at the time.

One theme there is that some can not have another nose job after this one because they've had so many, they damaged the nose by removing the natural structure which is there for a reason.

Personally, I need one too because my nose has a big hump plus it's not straight after being broken then when my grandson was little, he threw his Kindle almost across the room, hitting me right in the nose. He was bouncing on the couch with a tablet in his hand, it landed right on my nose.

There are decent doctors where I am which is close to Philadelphia. I'm so petrified of being botched that I won't even consider having my nose done yet even though I can't breathe. I'm a nose breather, I feel like I'm being suffocated breathing from my mouth which is another reason I don't want to do it. a 2nd cousin of mine just had her nose fixed, she said the first two weeks were miserable.

Best suggestion I have besides watching Botched is to get at least 3 opinions. Also google the doctors with words like botched, complaints, and reviews. Ask to see before and after pics of clients. See if you can speak to any yourself to see how their experience was.

How old are you? It is not good to get a nose job before age 30 IIRC and even then, our noses never stop growing. Honestly, I think you should wait 10 years to see what happens naturally because do you plan to keep running back every 10 to 15 years to shave it down?

Think long and hard before doing anything cosmetic. Do it for yourself, not any of the women you've spoken to.

If you do have it done, at some point you may regret getting rid of your ethnic nose because now you don't resemble anyone in your own family.






I agree with you, he should not do a nose job because they do not turn out right most times, people get botched, you can only have surgery on your nose so many times before you're stuck with the final surgery whether good or bad
I've heard that before...Why is that? Are nose jobs that difficult to perform even by the most skilled surgeons?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 11:24 AM
 
12,822 posts, read 6,971,191 times
Reputation: 30274
You do realize during rhino surgery, they break your nose ? That is actually the perfect time to get a modification done.
Your physician may not be the brightest bulb on that procedure.
As for a person suggesting- while your fixing it, maybe a bit of nip can be done .

I think most who make such an observation are looking at the opportunity, not as an insult. You are free to make your own medical choices .
This is my perspective of how a person may interpret such a remark.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top