Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 12:32 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

I think it's okay for the people who are already accustomed to the style because they live and grew up in that culture and environment and that style is the norm for them. But I think it would be kind of pretentious for people from different locations to try to copy it for themselves just because TikTok and some influencers are telling them that it's some new fashion fad. I think people in other locations who are strangers to that style would never get it right and would look out of place trying to copy it.

I like it and can appreciate it as a historical style for coastal easterners but it's certainly not my style. But then it wouldn't be since I live on the opposite side of the continent, on the Canadian west coast and we have a very different laid back, totally informal but practical and colorful western "coastal grandmother" style of our own here which I prefer. Also we are rough, we get dirty a lot from all the "nature stuff" we get involved in here on a nearly daily basis so lots of white and other really pale shades of clothing aren't practical for daily summer wear, it would get destroyed very quickly. But it would be nice for more formal social occasions in the summer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 05:55 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Not sure if the question is about decor or clothing, but the house from Something’s Got to Give is my dream house.

Since I am a coastal grandmother, and I don’t know anyone who dresses like Diane Keaton, I’ll say no to the clothes.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:26 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not sure if the question is about decor or clothing, but the house from Something’s Got to Give is my dream house.

Since I am a coastal grandmother, and I don’t know anyone who dresses like Diane Keaton, I’ll say no to the clothes.
A lot of people have said that about the house since that movie came out, especially the kitchen.

As far as fashion I think it's interesting that so many older women try hard not to look like a grandma but younger people might think a type of classic older lady aesthetic is cool.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:33 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think it's okay for the people who are already accustomed to the style because they live and grew up in that culture and environment and that style is the norm for them. But I think it would be kind of pretentious for people from different locations to try to copy it for themselves just because TikTok and some influencers are telling them that it's some new fashion fad. I think people in other locations who are strangers to that style would never get it right and would look out of place trying to copy it.
I agree completely. I have a friend from Maine, and even when she lived here in Southern California for a number of years, that was her style. The clothes, the home decor, etc. It suited her because we all knew she was from the East Coast and would eventually go back, but it is not (!) a usual West Coast style. For me or my friends to pick up that whole look would be out of place, pretentious, and obvious to all that they were copying a movie or magazine.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:46 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDoo8 View Post

It’s chic yet laid back. I like the look.

Yay or nay?
I like the look. As I get older with a house full of stuff and a closet that is full--I just want to get rid of things and live a simpler life.

Nine or so years ago I lost 80 pounds, I bought a new wardrobe. Winter I stuck with three colors: purple, olive and black. Summer I stuck with white, cream and some pinks and yellows. Added some colorful scarves. Everything mixed and matched.

I have gotten away from that--think I will work on getting back to that. It was much simplier.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:05 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I live at the beach myself and don't see many dressed like Diane Keaton either.

Maybe it's a non beach "beach fashion" ???

Old 08-27-2022, 12:51 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
It sounds like the regular, practical clothes we wear around here but more pretentious and dressed up. Trying to look as though you are a yacht owner or you belong to the best country club. Yes, we do wear white--used to be a rule that you were allowed to wear white between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

We do wear cotton and linen in summer because it is HOT and HUMID. We do wear wool in winter because we almost have to. There isn't much choice when you live in a climate of extremes. Some snooty places really get into it. I guess you'd be obliged to dress that way if you lived on Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard or some rich part of Long Island, NY where fashion gets competitive. It DOES resemble our style but we are much more low key and practical about the way we dress. Oh--we normally do not wear bright colors. I think it's considered too ostentatious or tacky. (Yes, I have a couple of brightly colored skirts--heaven forbid they look tacky, lol.)

Old 08-27-2022, 01:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree completely. I have a friend from Maine, and even when she lived here in Southern California for a number of years, that was her style. The clothes, the home decor, etc. It suited her because we all knew she was from the East Coast and would eventually go back, but it is not (!) a usual West Coast style. For me or my friends to pick up that whole look would be out of place, pretentious, and obvious to all that they were copying a movie or magazine.
LOL. My friend, originally from Chicago, moved from Ohio to Seattle. They came back for a visit and she was wearing wool socks with Birkenstock sandals. She took quite a ribbing.

I’m originally from MA and the LLBean look was what I’m used to. Now in coastal GA, I long for the 2 days in February when it’s cold enough for a flannel shirt and my UGGs.

Old 08-27-2022, 02:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Coastal grandmother? I see people of varying ages dressing in this style. If you live or vacation in certain areas, you'll see people dressing like this everywhere you go. They're not grandmas either. Not even close.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:12 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Is this another one of those trends like gray hair where if a young person puts it on as an affect, it's trendy and "cute" but if someone has gray hair for real, it's unattractive and gross? Some pretty 20-something calls herself a "coastal grandmother" and she's right in style, but real coastal grandmothers are shunned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
As far as fashion I think it's interesting that so many older women try hard not to look like a grandma but younger people might think a type of classic older lady aesthetic is cool.
Yes, exactly. As long as it's not actually on an older lady...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty