Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 01:55 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've dressed this way long before it became a trend. I wear mostly black/white/cream/tan/denim year around.

Summer is white or black linen, Birkenstocks, etc.
Wouldn't that make you "coastal hippie" then ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 02:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Wouldn't that make you "coastal hippie" then ?
I don't equate my clothing with being a hippie. The Birkenstocks maybe? I wear them because they don't hurt my feet.

I like keeping my wardrobe simple. Everything works together.

Never was a hippie. Did wear low riding bell bottoms, halter tops and ironed my hair back in the day tho.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've dressed this way long before it became a trend. I wear mostly black/white/cream/tan/denim year around.

Summer is white or black linen, Birkenstocks, etc.
That's how I dress too. I'm coastal though, about 100 miles inland from coast.

Wearing Birkenstocks at the moment but it's because I need the arch support. I also wear flats (mary janes) a lot in summer. I like my longish white flouncy ruffled skirt with a light blue linen top. I wonder where a gold charm bracelet fits it, if it does fit in.

This is not preppy though. If you can ever find The Preppy Handbook online, that's what preppy is like. Button down collars, khakai pants, pleated skirts, polo shirts--what you would find by Ralph Lauren or J. Crew or Vineyard Vines and a few others. It tries to emulate the style of Old Money that used to be found at the top notch ivy league colleges in the Northeast or the rich New England prep schools. It's a simple, sporty, polished style. I look dreadful in it but a sporty type person can look really good.

So coastal grandmother isn't the same as preppy. I'm still not sure what it is but it sounds like some of us who dress this way were in style without knowing it. When it goes out of style, I'll still dress this way because it's comfortable, practical, and I really don't know how else I would dress! Maybe coastal Grandmother is similar to my usual style but worn by rich people.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:26 PM

https://stylecaster.com/glasses-trends-2022/

I got really curious about what we are talking about so I googled. Coastal grandmother clothing seems to be based upon the way we dress here in New England during the summer. You would see it in an exaggerated fashion if you went to a rich place like Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. But you see the more downscale version of it everywhere else. Rich people would wear it on a yacht.

I have the same bag they show in this article. Same hat. Similar sundress.

https://www.julesbuono.com/coastal-g...her-aesthetic/ --This explains it too. It's what you would find on rich people who live on Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, or the Hamptons. Posh summer New England style but the rest of us dress that way too except our linen and cashmere come from the thrift store, lol. They buy it at Ralph Lauren, Vineyard Vines (LOVE that store but can't afford it), and for older women, at Talbots, although that's more on the preppy side.

The home furnishings are what we have in our houses except in my case I've had that stuff for years and now it just happens to be back in style? I have those baskets, the ginger jar, the antiques that were handed down--mine aren't worth a fortune though like a true coastal grandmother. Oh good. I'm back in style again. What goes around comes around. Classic style is what it is.

Old 08-31-2022, 04:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I hate to say it but that all sounds like the kind of robotic behaviour I'd expect to find if I was visiting Stepford and the Stepford Wives for the weekend. That would drive me bonkers.

Old 08-31-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

I hate to say it but that all sounds like the kind of robotic behaviour I'd expect to find if I was visiting Stepford and the Stepford Wives for the weekend. That would drive me bonkers.

I don't know what Stepford is, but I think coastal grandmother mostly means a return to classic, simple, good quality clothes and decor instead of brightly colored or weird styles, especially throw away styles. Rich people could make it snobby and competitive but most people will just use what they have or can find in thift stores, at yard sales. Like baskets and simple, comfy furniture, pretty little dishes we've collected over the years and sensible cotton or linen clothing for summer. Natural fabrics, natural materials like wood or straw. I hope they're back in style again.

One article says we're supposed to have a dog (check) and that we like to garden (check) we cut flowers and put them in vases. (check.) I hope we make tomato sauce from our garden tomatoes too.

Being an oldie, I already have most of that stuff so I guess I can be in style for once. Not robotic for me, just relaxing and natural.

Old 08-31-2022, 06:19 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, that is the third—the second is called The Snake Has All the Lines. Some of her essays (because that’s what her books are, collections of short essays) fall flat or have become dated, but most are hilarious.
Now, see, how can I remember the name of that book when I haven't read it since I was a kid, but hell if I can remember if I sent my coworker that paperwork the other day... LOL.

Old 08-31-2022, 06:30 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know what Stepford is, but I think coastal grandmother mostly means a return to classic, simple, good quality clothes and decor instead of brightly colored or weird styles, especially throw away styles. Rich people could make it snobby and competitive but most people will just use what they have or can find in thift stores, at yard sales. Like baskets and simple, comfy furniture, pretty little dishes we've collected over the years and sensible cotton or linen clothing for summer. Natural fabrics, natural materials like wood or straw. I hope they're back in style again.

One article says we're supposed to have a dog (check) and that we like to garden (check) we cut flowers and put them in vases. (check.) I hope we make tomato sauce from our garden tomatoes too.

Being an oldie, I already have most of that stuff so I guess I can be in style for once. Not robotic for me, just relaxing and natural.
I remember the Preppy Handbook, and don’t forget madras. I just bought a madras skort from NorthStyle and have received a lot of compliments on it. It’s a good old lady skirt, both for its proportions, and for its nostalgia.

Old 08-31-2022, 06:43 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:

Almost anything would seem robotic if put under a magnifying glass like this, and dissected. When you scrutinize every gesture and movement, you lose sight of the fact, that there's a live person there, with a brain and a heart. You reduce them to a mere formula.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:50 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
Quote:

LOL, totally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty