Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2022, 11:31 PM

65 posts, read 45,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I see, thanks for replying. That's why I asked where do you where most of your clothes as in to what kind of occasions MOSTLY, but you answered me well enough.

Actually, 4 to 5 pieces in every category doesn't sound like a lot at all. I personally have the most of the following types of clothing:

- sweaters - I have a thing for sweaters. I even started a thread here about them 2 yrs ago ( https://www.city-data.com/forum/fash...-sweaters.html ). I must have 2-5 in each color imaginable (in various styles), except for tans, beiges, or browns because I don't care for those colors, but even then, I think I have 1 in 1-2 of those colors. Unfortunately, where I live, it doesn't even get that cold in the winter season, which is a shame. I wish it would rain more. So, there was a time I started buying a lot of cardigans, so at least I could wear it open w/ a short-sleeved top underneath & not be stuck w/ a sweater on & nothing underneath because there were a couple or so autumns & winters in a row where it wasn't cold enough to wear a sweater on even ONE day.

- jeans - I have so many styles, regular ones, 6-8 pairs w/ various-colored striping down the sides of the legs, numerous colored jeans, etc. However, I never had 1 pair of ripped jeans because I don't like them. My fave style, which I think is most flattering is the bootcut in a dark wash in a stretchy denim.

- black tops - I love black, it's chic & slimming, so I must have 20+ different styles of black tops alone. I actually love grey too, so I have quite a few grey tops.

Then, there was a period of time when I wanted all kinds of hot pink-colored clothing, but it had to be the right styles to my liking of course, so I bought agood little amount, especially sweaters.

What about accessories? I love genuine leather bags & boots (from ankle to knee-high). I have some bags in several colors too, even pink, teal, a melon color, grape purple, etc.

A couple of types of shoes I've wanted for a long time were these & during a season here & there (pre-COVID), I was dilligently on the hunt:

- metallic silver shoes
- leopard-print shoes w/ the actual hair/fur

COVID though really seemed to change my feeling about fashion. It's (meaning fashion) not quite as important to me anymore. I always still take pride in how I look, but I'm just more comfortable, but not sloppy.
Sounds like you have an amazing closet and style! It’s really cool that you took the time and money to build a wardrobe (it sounds like) you love, and now it’s there for you even as your life continues to evolve. That’s exactly what I’m working toward.

It doesn’t get very cold where I live either, which is sad because I love sweaters and layering.

Sorry if I didn’t answer very clearly about WHERE I wear clothes. I’m at home a lot, but most of the things I’ve bought can be worn at home - I’d say 80% of the pieces. It’s mostly been shorts, tank tops, short sleeves, t shirts - really high quality things but for the most part nothing fancy that would be remotely acceptable to wear to an office.

We like to go out to dinner, so I also bought a few nicer tops / dresses, but that’s been only about 8 pieces.

Working from home, I’m trying to elevate my style and not be in yoga pants so much. I’m thinking pants with elastic waists, and saw a couple of cute pairs at one of the stores you linked. XCVI?

I also don’t like ripped jeans, although I used to. I have one pair of denim right now that I live in, from Mother. They were pricey but I absolutely live in them, and love them so much. They’re a dark wash, kinda cropped and wider leg. Not a fan of the light wash!

Love love to wear black, but I’m such a sucker for a good print. Love dark florals, stripe and gingham. Trying to stick to more neutral tones, but love dark dusty rose and also lilac.

Pink is such a fun color, but my complexion doesn’t do well with anything too bright.

I’ve never gotten too much into accessories. I have a small black bag, a large black bag, and a small round basket bag. Would like a neutral bag, or maybe one in a fun color like a lilac.

Necklaces, I have a few in a few different lengths. Just simple ones with small gold pendants. Would like some simple rings / earrings - small hoops. Have never been a jewelry person but do feel it does a lot for an outfit.

One thing I’d like to experiment with is belts!

Shoes have always been hard for me to find ones that fit. I wear sandals all summer long, which is easy. This winter I want a pair of black Chelsea boots, chunky loafers - would look so cute with flower ankle socks, cropped pants, and a cute sweater!, and a pair of statement shoes. Metallic or leopard sound amazing! The sandals I wear all summer are gold, and I feel like it adds a lot to a simple outfit.

It’s funny because COVID had the opposite affect on me. I feel maxed out on comfy clothes, and like I want to get dressed again

But I feel like you can look cute and put together and also very comfortable. I’m not sure if you watch style videos on YouTube ever, but this woman Dearly Bethany is really good at that - putting together outfits that are both comfy and elevated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 06:03 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I belong to a Newcomers group called Treasure Hunters. We are going to some upscale clothing consignment shops next week. It will be a first for me.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:44 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
I do not have a monthly clothing budget and never have. I buy what I need when I need it. And I am in the middle of trying to refresh what I have since I've not done much shopping since COVID. I look but I do not find!

I am not much into shopping either - never have been. The sizing on women's pants in particular is the most frustrating part for me - especially jeans. I have hips! I always need pants (and do right now) and if I'm motivated I'll go out and try on 10-15 pairs (seriously) to find maybe one or two pairs that fit - if I'm lucky. In my old stuff, currently, I have med and lg pull on type things - including leggings and yoga pants which I wear mostly inside - and size 8/10/12 in regular pants. It's ridiculous. Sometimes I get really lucky and have good luck with everything in one trip out....but that's not the norm.

I do tend to buy athletic type clothing, flexi pants from Kuhl that I can wear outside in the summer and either shirts made with wicking fabrics or fleecy warm long sleeve pullovers. I don't need business clothing anymore but do keep two good outfits should I need them. I will spend $$ on quality items because I know they will last but I also always look for the good things on sale. T-shirts and kick around stuff I buy at TJ Maxx. I like the brands Prana, SmartWool, Kuhl, Toad & Co, Habitat, Tribal.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:55 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,729,352 times
OP, I think your posts are fascinating. I really don't know anyone who spends so much on clothes each month. I'm curious about your personal status - married, kids, homeowner, job type, age, health, debt, etc.

And I'm interested only to understand your priorities. In different stages of life we tend to focus on different priorities.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:30 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
Sounds like you have an amazing closet and style! It’s really cool that you took the time and money to build a wardrobe (it sounds like) you love, and now it’s there for you even as your life continues to evolve. That’s exactly what I’m working toward.

It doesn’t get very cold where I live either, which is sad because I love sweaters and layering.

Sorry if I didn’t answer very clearly about WHERE I wear clothes. I’m at home a lot, but most of the things I’ve bought can be worn at home - I’d say 80% of the pieces. It’s mostly been shorts, tank tops, short sleeves, t shirts - really high quality things but for the most part nothing fancy that would be remotely acceptable to wear to an office.

We like to go out to dinner, so I also bought a few nicer tops / dresses, but that’s been only about 8 pieces.

Working from home, I’m trying to elevate my style and not be in yoga pants so much. I’m thinking pants with elastic waists, and saw a couple of cute pairs at one of the stores you linked. XCVI?

I also don’t like ripped jeans, although I used to. I have one pair of denim right now that I live in, from Mother. They were pricey but I absolutely live in them, and love them so much. They’re a dark wash, kinda cropped and wider leg. Not a fan of the light wash!

Love love to wear black, but I’m such a sucker for a good print. Love dark florals, stripe and gingham. Trying to stick to more neutral tones, but love dark dusty rose and also lilac.

Pink is such a fun color, but my complexion doesn’t do well with anything too bright.

I’ve never gotten too much into accessories. I have a small black bag, a large black bag, and a small round basket bag. Would like a neutral bag, or maybe one in a fun color like a lilac.

Necklaces, I have a few in a few different lengths. Just simple ones with small gold pendants. Would like some simple rings / earrings - small hoops. Have never been a jewelry person but do feel it does a lot for an outfit.

One thing I’d like to experiment with is belts!

Shoes have always been hard for me to find ones that fit. I wear sandals all summer long, which is easy. This winter I want a pair of black Chelsea boots, chunky loafers - would look so cute with flower ankle socks, cropped pants, and a cute sweater!, and a pair of statement shoes. Metallic or leopard sound amazing! The sandals I wear all summer are gold, and I feel like it adds a lot to a simple outfit.

It’s funny because COVID had the opposite affect on me. I feel maxed out on comfy clothes, and like I want to get dressed again

But I feel like you can look cute and put together and also very comfortable. I’m not sure if you watch style videos on YouTube ever, but this woman Dearly Bethany is really good at that - putting together outfits that are both comfy and elevated.

I don't like light wash jeans either! If you & I were friends in person, we'd probably have fun shopping together!

I love some nice jewelry. I love silver, white gold, & even that hammered, dull silver. I don't like the look of gold.

You might enjoy looking through some of the 51 threads I've started in the Fashion & Beauty section throughout the years. I hope the links below work:

Page 1: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/sea...46111701&pp=30

Page 2: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/sea...1&pp=30&page=2

I never ran across Dearly Bethany, but I'll check her out.

At home, I actually never wear regular going-out-of-the-house clothing. At home, it's strictly lounging clothing for me, including when I'm working. My at-home, "uniform" that I can wear year-round is:

- 1/2 slip skirt in black always
- tank top - various colors

It's never cold enough to wear anything more.

My most favorite going-out-of-the-house casual outfit is:

- nice, dark bootcut jeans
- stylish top (I like cap-sleeves or dolman sleeves)
- ankle or knee-high leather boots
- great leather bag
- moderately-sized silver/white gold jewlery set (earrings, necklace, bracelet, rings)
- big sunglasses

I seemed to have gotten away from wearing jeans nearly as much. It's been black or other dark-colored leggings. I did get these perfect grape purple-colored leggings from Athleta a little while back & when they went on sale, I actually bought a 2nd pair of them because you never really see that shade of purple for leggings.

Shoes, I love, but then in Dec 2007, I injured my ankle, so couldn't wear the cute heels or even the high-heeled wedges anymore, which were my fave type of shoe. It was all about flat, but good support, comfort. I always spent pretty good money on shoes too.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 10-02-2022 at 07:39 AM..

Old 10-02-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I belong to a Newcomers group called Treasure Hunters. We are going to some upscale clothing consignment shops next week. It will be a first for me.
That’s awesome! I would love to shop consignment. Would love to see pictures of anything you find, if you feel called to share!

One thing this whole experience has given me is that it’s made me be much more intentional about my purchases - everything is very extensively planned, which has entirely changed the psychology of how I shop.

But with this new mindset, I feel much more capable of shopping consignment and only buying things that I need / play well with my existing closet.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP, I think your posts are fascinating. I really don't know anyone who spends so much on clothes each month. I'm curious about your personal status - married, kids, homeowner, job type, age, health, debt, etc.

And I'm interested only to understand your priorities. In different stages of life we tend to focus on different priorities.
I’m 40 and married. We own our home, no kids and no credit card or loan debt (we own one car and have a small payment on a second, the other debt is our mortgage), substantial savings, save substantially each month and invest. I work from home but have been experiencing some health issues, so my ability to work has been limited. For the past couple of years we’ve been remodeling our house (we bought a fixer upper) so I’ve mostly been focused on that.

I am coming out of said health challenges, which was part of the impetus to this clothing reinvention. I’m excited to look and feel my best. My work is online so sometimes I do videos and things where I want to look nice and put together.

We’re blessed in that my husband has worked hard in his industry and makes a good living after rising up the ranks. We’re actually very frugal and cost conscious, and clothes are pretty much the only thing I spend money on - other than high quality food, I guess. I’m not one to go to Target and buy a bunch of random stuff or buy a lot on Amazon, for example.

Entering midlife, I just wanted to shift how I dressed myself from my 20s and 30s, and especially how I dressed when I wasn’t well and could barely get out of bed.

I’ve always spent money on clothes. It’s always been a priority. Even when I made $30k a year, I spent $200 most months on clothes, and still managed to save and pay all my bills.

I’m honestly shocked people - especially on a clothing forum! - DON’T spend more on clothes. One of the brands I follow, Sezane, has a cult following with people making videos about the collections and sharing their new items. Other brands experience similar phenomena, so I guess it’s just the circles each person finds themselves in.

Old 10-02-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't like light wash jeans either! If you & I were friends in person, we'd probably have fun shopping together!

I love some nice jewelry. I love silver, white gold, & even that hammered, dull silver. I don't like the look of gold.

You might enjoy looking through some of the 51 threads I've started in the Fashion & Beauty section throughout the years. I hope the links below work:

Page 1: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/sea...46111701&pp=30

Page 2: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/sea...1&pp=30&page=2

I never ran across Dearly Bethany, but I'll check her out.

At home, I actually never wear regular going-out-of-the-house clothing. At home, it's strictly lounging clothing for me, including when I'm working. My at-home, "uniform" that I can wear year-round is:

- 1/2 slip skirt in black always
- tank top - various colors

It's never cold enough to wear anything more.

My most favorite going-out-of-the-house casual outfit is:

- nice, dark bootcut jeans
- stylish top (I like cap-sleeves or dolman sleeves)
- ankle or knee-high leather boots
- great leather bag
- moderately-sized silver/white gold jewlery set (earrings, necklace, bracelet, rings)
- big sunglasses

I seemed to have gotten away from wearing jeans nearly as much. It's been black or other dark-colored leggings. I did get these perfect grape purple-colored leggings from Athleta a little while back & when they went on sale, I actually bought a 2nd pair of them because you never really see that shade of purple for leggings.

Shoes, I love, but then in Dec 2007, I injured my ankle, so couldn't wear the cute heels or even the high-heeled wedges anymore, which were my fave type of shoe. It was all about flat, but good support, comfort. I always spent pretty good money on shoes too.
Will check out your threads! Always fun to connect with a fellow fashion lover. I love that you have style uniforms. I’ve been playing with that as well. Trouble is - then I find myself buying crazy statement pieces that I tire of very quickly!

Of of my current goals is to build out a collection of different neutral bottoms to be able to mix and match everything, and be more disciplined overall w the types of tops rounding out my collection.

Thanks to Dearly Bethany, I’ve been considering linen or raw silk pants (cropped and wide leg. So chic!) from brands Rachel Pally or Ozma, which are California based and made. She wears them w nice tops, sometimes belting them to hide the elastic. That’s something I never would have considered before, but looks so chic and comfortable. They’re kind of expensive though, so haven’t taken the plunge. Definitely one of those staples that will last years, though, so worth it, I think!

A black slip skirt is definitely on my list. Have a nice heavier weight one for fall, but wasn’t able to find one I liked for spring / summer. Maybe next year. We live in Arizona, and do get a winter, but it’s short and mostly mild. Can never have too many tank tops, though.

That’s a shame about your ankle! I hope it doesn’t hurt too much or affect your day-to-day. Flats are healthier for your feet anyway. At least, that’s what I always tell myself because I can’t wear heels either!

Old 10-02-2022, 08:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
I feel this. I was dealing with some health problems and didn’t shop at all for a few years. When I did it was sweats and t shirts. Now I feel like it’s an opportunity to reinvent myself through style and also build a high-quality timeless wardrobe that will last.

Even if I had a lower budget, I’d much rather have a few high-quality items than a closet of fast fashion.

I don't think you're spending too much based on your stated goal of having "a high quality timeless wardrobe that will last."

I think it is a smart way to go and after you have it built you can pick up a piece or two every season to keep it topped off. You can add when you find something you love that will blend into your current wardrobe and hopefully never not have what you need when you need it.

If you buy classic clothing you can wear it for decades and no one will be able to decide which decade you bought it in... I think it is like clothing from the 60's or 90's (I like the slim pant leg, straight skirts, etc.). I like high quality basics.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:00 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I don't have a budget for clothes.

I have priorities - I usually save up for something like a new car, house, etc. During that time, I don't spend any money on clothes - and that can be years.

I have clothes that I bought 20 years ago, they are still nice. Since Covid I "grew" into a bigger size and cannot wear most of my tight jeans anymore.

If I buy clothes, I usually buy cheap stuff at the outlets, except if I see something that I really, really NEED to have. During times where I have a higher income, I spend more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty