Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 05:28 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
You are worth more than the clearance rack.
I agree. I'm also worth way more than anything Walmart has to offer in terms of clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 05:35 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
I’ve been spending about $1k a month...
It's good to be a man who didn't have to wear a suit. I'm not sure I had anything close to $1,000 in my entire buisness casual wardrobe. If I was budgeting for it (which I didn't), I might have set aside $20 a month.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:13 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times
Well, I bought a pair of jeans a few weeks ago. I was able to keep it under $30, but that sure raised my average for the year.

Do you include sunglasses? I just lost a pair, and even at dollar store prices, they do add up.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. I'm also worth way more than anything Walmart has to offer in terms of clothes.
I buy some of their basics because I love the fabrics and the fit. And the price is reasonable. In the past two months I've bought a pair of skinny jeans, two pairs of leggings, two short nightgowns, shorts and tank tops.

My mother also wouldn't dream of buying clothes at Walmart. When she was sick and coming out of the hospital, I loaded her up with a new soft fluffy robe, soft nightgowns, slippers, underwear, etc. I took off all the tags. Years later she is still commenting on how much she loves them, how she never could find things so nice in her stores.

My rationale is, if I can buy great fitting, great looking basics at Walmart, or somewhere else, then I have more left in my budget for tops and dresses.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:54 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Will check out your threads! Always fun to connect with a fellow fashion lover. I love that you have style uniforms. I’ve been playing with that as well. Trouble is - then I find myself buying crazy statement pieces that I tire of very quickly!

Of of my current goals is to build out a collection of different neutral bottoms to be able to mix and match everything, and be more disciplined overall w the types of tops rounding out my collection.

Thanks to Dearly Bethany, I’ve been considering linen or raw silk pants (cropped and wide leg. So chic!) from brands Rachel Pally or Ozma, which are California based and made. She wears them w nice tops, sometimes belting them to hide the elastic. That’s something I never would have considered before, but looks so chic and comfortable. They’re kind of expensive though, so haven’t taken the plunge. Definitely one of those staples that will last years, though, so worth it, I think!

A black slip skirt is definitely on my list. Have a nice heavier weight one for fall, but wasn’t able to find one I liked for spring / summer. Maybe next year. We live in Arizona, and do get a winter, but it’s short and mostly mild. Can never have too many tank tops, though.

That’s a shame about your ankle! I hope it doesn’t hurt too much or affect your day-to-day. Flats are healthier for your feet anyway. At least, that’s what I always tell myself because I can’t wear heels either!

Why can't you wear heels? Injury too? That's nice that you have $1K/mo to spend on clothes! That's 1/2 my rent that I try to stay 2-3 mos ahead on.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:57 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,036 times
Quote:
I’ve been “rebuilding” - aka spending a lot of money - on my wardrobe after turning 40 and feeling a desire to shift my style.

Wearing athleisure non-stop as I work from home has also gotten old, so investing in new clothing has felt good. (Although I’ve been updating my workout wear as well.)

I’ve been spending about $1k a month and gave myself a year to to build a new set of high-quality basics for every facet of life. (For example I bought a few nice dresses I *adore* to have on hand so I don’t need to buy something just okay on short notice.)

That year is almost up and although I haven’t been as disciplined as I would have liked, good progress has been made.

After the year, I’d like to return to maybe $500 a month, which I feel is good to keep things updated and still enjoy a few new beautiful pieces. Clothing is a big creative outlet for me, and something I truly enjoy even though it also stresses me out because I can never find the things I want.

Finding new brands has been a big part of this process because mall brands just weren’t doing it for me. I used to buy a lot at Anthropologie but over time realized their clothes are actually poor quality and ill-fitting.

Ground rules: I skip fast fashion, however tempting, in favor of brands that are made in America when possible, or at the very least, not made in China.

I also favor organic / sustainable materials when possible because cheap clothing has many chemicals - including formaldehyde - that can cause cancer or disrupt hormones.

That said - I am very curious what people spend each month on clothing, and where you shop.

My favorite brands are Rouje, Sezane, Beyond Yoga, Joah Brown, Rails, Vuori, Auguste the Label and Reformation. I’ve also been eyeing Nation LTD though haven’t purchased anything yet.
I'm happy you're happy, but that is an insane amount of money to spend on clothing for someone like me. I've spent maybe $500 this year on clothing, and most of that went into a new coat. It's not that I'm cheap. I just don't have the need for such expensive pieces. That said, I did enjoy googling the names of the brands you mentioned to see what is fashionable right now.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:57 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
I'm a mid 40s guy.

I work from home, so don't really NEED new clothes, but I also did go up a size, though some stuff still fits.

So it's not too much, maybe $50-100 a month.

I also ask for clothes for Christmas so I get a few hundred dollars worth.

I did spend more when I was younger.

Like OP, I would like to buy some cool new clothes, but I find the choices for men in middle age to be limiting.

The choices are either Banana Republic/Brooks Brothersish, or Kohls or expensive Nordstrom/suits type duds.

It's difficult in middle age to try and present some style but not have it say ... 'I dress like a 28 year old.' or 'My clothes are really expensive.'

Adding some poundage doesn't help either.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:51 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I'm happy you're happy, but that is an insane amount of money to spend on clothing for someone like me. I've spent maybe $500 this year on clothing, and most of that went into a new coat. It's not that I'm cheap. I just don't have the need for such expensive pieces. That said, I did enjoy googling the names of the brands you mentioned to see what is fashionable right now.
I did the same thing re: looking up the brand names that I didn't recognize. It doesn't seem that much, if anything, has changed that much in terms of what I like to call mature style (that is, post-teens) in the past twenty-plus years as I have things in my closet that don't look much different than what is on those sites. I didn't check out the sites that seemed to be for athletic gear/athleisure wear as that's never been my style and the few leggings that I wear outside of the house that I bought at Target and DSW suit me just fine in terms of fit and quality.

There's no way that I'd drop the kind of money that the O.P. is on clothing and it's fine that she does since she has the means and the will to do so, but I will say this: I'm grateful for others who buy spend-y clothing because without them, I wouldn't have such good access to the clothes that I find on the second-hand market.

One thing that I did just pick up in terms of investment pieces was an early 1960s duster at an antique shop. There's no doubt that it wasn't an inexpensive coat when it was originally purchased; even now, a similar coat would cost the better part of a grand if not a touch more. (I bought it for $125, which for me was a bit of a splurge.) It was a total impulse buy--black cashmere, fully-lined, absolutely gorgeous coat that will see a lot of use both dressed up and dressed down--especially with my favorite knee high, high-heeled boots.

There's one other piece that I have my eye on at a local antique shop (a gorgeous vintage Asian-inspired dress), but I need to get my lower body totally back into shape before buying it. That plus a few new tops or pairs of jeans as I find them in my travels should do it for this year bringing my annual total spent on clothing (including work clothes/shoes, socks, and undergarments) to well under $1,000.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 10-05-2022 at 01:06 PM..

Old 10-05-2022, 01:15 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times
I don't spend 1K a year on clothes. WFH.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:33 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I had a great day today!!! (this is typical for me: feast or famine)
bought a pair of Merrell 'light hikers' that I can use for everyday. good tread and support. not cheap but good shoes often aren't.
also got two Kuhl items: a cowl neck sweater and a LS mock turtleneck waffle knit.
at another place, a cowl neck LS tunic. all full price but I am very satisfied with my purchases. Got a haircut too (another story....I am not inclined to spend as much as her fee was today (up from 8 wks ago). This is back to L.A. prices. pondering this now but I love how she cuts my hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty